Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Chevy 4.3l engine into 1990 4runner - Looking for Advice, Engine, Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy 4.3l engine into 1990 4runner - Looking for Advice, Engine, Parts

I almost have my 3.slow out of my 90 runner. I have not yet spent a dime on any of the 4.3 items needed. I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck before parting with any greenbacks and do this job once the right way.

As it sits my 1990 SR5 4runner has:

5" IFS Pro Comp Lift
2" Body lift
35"x12.5" Pro Comp Mud Tires
Detroit True trac front, Detroit rear w/ 5.29 gears
5 Speed Toyota Transmission

I use this 4 runner for everything. From daily driving in deep snow to extended surfari's driving thru remote stretches and beaches of Baja. I dont "rock crawl" per se but I do "crawl" around some remote places where traction and clearance is essential and reliability is key. I need this rig to be able to cruise at 70 - 75 miles per hour fully loaded and go off-road whenever I point it that direction.

I am working with a mechanic who has done some 4.3 / toyota conversions but I am buying the parts and figuring out some performance and compatibility issues. So I am throwing out some questions here for those of you who have done this and can see what it is that I am after.

So far through my online reading I have determined that the route I should probably take for performance, simplicity and value is:

1.) 4.3L 262 CID TBI from 1988 - 93 with "W" vin for higher hp. Either find a used one and pickup salvage yard LF6 heads and/or if possible find a used L35 engine model due to better cams? OR invest in a remanufactured 4.3l from Motor Works or Hiperformer.
2.) EdelbrockV6 intake to fit LF6 heads
3.) Freshen engine up
4.) Use stock Toyota 5 speed transmission
5.) Freshen transmission w/ new bearings
6.) Use Advanced Adapters V6 conversion kit and radiator
7.) Purchase misc GM parts as needed

Regarding the points above:

Points 1,2,3.) I will take any advice offered regarding the best motor for my application and basically how to get the best bang for my buck. My mechanic has located a used engine through his salvage yard contact but i dont have the particulars on that yet. He says we would look inside it and see what it needed but I would take rebuild or "freshening" suggestions. I have 2 major engine builders (motor works and hiperformer) located 90 miles away who can provide me with a long block built with specific head and block castings and rv cam for $1,100 to $1,700.
The Edelbrock intake looks pretty straight forward but what else would I need? Carburetor or use existing throttle body? These look to be around $250+ but again I would be open to purchasing one from somebody on this site.
Point 5.) Any suggestions as to what should be done on the existing stock toyota 5 speed transmission before mating it with new bell housing and v6?
Point 6.) I noticed AA has the entire kit on sale for $1750 which includes a starter and a radiator. I know there are ways to spend less here but it seems like soe of this stuff just makes the conversion easier and better. I would love to find some of this stuff on this forum. Any tips, reccomendations or experience with the parts from AA, Downey or NWOR would be reccomended.

My goal is to spend $3,000 or less. My mechanic will do it for $500 - $700 installed.

So that leaves me $2500-2300 or less to get the parts. I hope that I can round up some of the V6 conversion parts through users from this site to save some $$ and I hope I can get some good engine advice to help me save some $$ and get good reliable performance too.

My goal with this is to end up with a better motor than a 3.0 toyota v6. One that is reliable, has more power, gets better fuel mileage, is easier to work on and works just as well off road as on. And I want the conversion to cost me less than a quality remanufactured 3.0 ($3,000).

I have done a lot of reading and surfed through many forums on this topic. However, if there are any gurus or site users who have had actual experience with this swap I would love some direct advice before I start spending money.

Thanks in advance for all who take time to help me out before I make some of the "common mistakes" or end up spending good money on bad ideas.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

i havent done mine yet but you seem to have everything you need when i compare your list to mine. i am going with a mercruiser intake form a marine motor and doing swap headers from NWOR with 700r4 trans. and i am picking a lot more HP parts like a supercharger and and some programing stuff. good luck man

oh and if you want to see a really good build check out fillsrunner4.3 i think thats it anyway

Last edited by ffryno13; 05-04-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are getting a REALLY good deal if your mechanic agreed to do it for $500 to $700 bucks. I'd charge ALOT more than that!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

Here is a good link for casting and rebuild info for the 4.3L 262 CID engines : http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40047.htm

I have a 92 TBI engine I am looking at. It has the block casting # 10105867 and head casting # 14094768

I believe it is the non balance shaft style. I would like to be able to find out even more on this if possible. I wonder if there is a site that allows you to find out the HP and more from these casting #s?

Anyone have any thoughts of running this motor with a carburetor and intake manifold?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned 'cause I was 4runnerchevy also banned

Why run a carburated 4.3 ?

I spent less than 1000 on my CPI swap, just build the stuff yourself.

The other question is do you plan on running on the street ? and what state are you in ?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 PM

It just seems pretty easy to run it as carbureted. Plus on the motor I am looking at is a tbi. Yes, this 4runnr is my DD and I drive it to Mexico each year. Licensed in Idaho. Let me know what you are thinking? I am clueless on the computer controls.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Anybody got tips on wiring the s10 computer and the painless kit? We are almost done with the swap now and have everything in. Only trying to find a good s10 computer to link up to the painless kit that I bought. I also Bought the Advanced Adapters radiator - $450! Ouch. But no other viable options available.

Also decided to stay with the TBI. No carbs for me.

Soon I will post up my entire swap details. Any tips on the wiring this thing up will b appreciated!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
literaly takes about 5 wires to run that motor Best swap for toyota IMO by far cant wait to see some pics
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 AM

I did the 4.3 swap 2 or 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did motor wise.
You will need a land cruiser slave cylider.
If you are keeping stock chev exaust manifolds you will need a driver side s10 one to clear steering shaft.
you can save a couple of bucks by using a stock toy v6 rad.
works great in mine.

all that being said the one downer is it seems to eat clutches either that or I have a heavy foot.

good luck with the swap
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by hilander

all that being said the one downer is it seems to eat clutches either that or I have a heavy foot.

good luck with the swap
Thats probably cause they dont make a very big one for the swap. only 10.5. however I am running a bigger 10 7/8" disk in mine. The disk is from an 08 yota pickup. I took the 11" pressureplate from centerforce and milled the center section out in order to run the bigger disk. works great. have yet to determain if my clutch will last longer but I would guess it should. Oh and the bigger toyota disk is cheaper than AA and all there clutch disks and still bigger

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM

I am looking into doing a auto swap with a 700r4.

Any one with any info it would be appreciated.
Thanx
Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 AM

I am looking into doing a auto swap with a 700r4.

Any one with any info it would be appreciated.
Thanx

I run a 700R4, what info do you need?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 86toylet
I run a 700R4, what info do you need?
I dunno just getting started, what series tranny, crossmember,tcase,drive shafts etc.. what ever info you have.

Right now I am running a stock tbi 4.3 from a 92 safari to a AA bellhousing kit & w56 5spd And stock Toy tcase and drive shafts. still have the ifs for now(sas is in the works to).

Can email at hiland4runner@hotmail.com

Rob
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 AM

I dunno just getting started, what series tranny, crossmember,tcase,drive shafts etc.. what ever info you have.

Right now I am running a stock tbi 4.3 from a 92 safari to a AA bellhousing kit & w56 5spd And stock Toy tcase and drive shafts. still have the ifs for now(sas is in the works to).

Can email at hiland4runner@hotmail.com

Rob

I am running a 92 700R4, don't get a pre-86 700 cause they are crap. I got an AA adapter to my t-case, which requires you to put the supplied tailshaft into the 700. My crossmember is custom but bolts in the stock location. You location might be different due to the location of your motor. I use a VSS from Jags that Run, and is smog legal in Cali. and screws into the speedo port on the t-case.

Crawling with an auto is awesome. Why are you changing to an auto ? Is your ECU an auto (being from a Safari probably yes) ?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM

I have a 87 pickup with the 5speed that I have been thinking about doing a 4.3 swap in, my motor is getting a lil tired and I would love to have more power. How does the stock 5 speed tranny and t-case hold up to the extra hp?(very HEAVY foot btw)
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jerms
I have a 87 pickup with the 5speed that I have been thinking about doing a 4.3 swap in, my motor is getting a lil tired and I would love to have more power. How does the stock 5 speed tranny and t-case hold up to the extra hp?(very HEAVY foot btw)
will hold up just fine

Welcome to YT BTW
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the 4.3 swap 2 or 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did motor wise.
You will need a land cruiser slave cylider.
If you are keeping stock chev exaust manifolds you will need a driver side s10 one to clear steering shaft.
you can save a couple of bucks by using a stock toy v6 rad.
works great in mine.

good luck with the swap
What size tires and what gears are you running?