Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

20r to 22re swap HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20r to 22re swap HELP!!

Ok, ive got a 1980 toyota pu 4x4. its got a 20r with a badly tuned weber(i dont get why all of you guys like webers they are terrible.)

i just picked up a 22re with about 100,000 miles and all the harness and computer to go with it, plus some decent long tube headers, oh ya plus the igniter. all i need is a fuel pump(between 25 and 40 psi would be good i hear). and for the headers to be tapped for an o2 sensor(and the sensor itself).

my questions are:
1) is there a manual or diagram i can find anywhere to show me exactly which wires to splice into the old harness

(i want to make it clear that i wont be replacing the whole harness because the guy only gave me the engine harness to the computer) to make the new efi motor to run? i dont need emission stuff(where i live doesnt require smog). i just need the computer to run the intake correctly.

2) which pump should i get(inline, i dont want to have to replace my tank.

3) im unfamiliar with the fuel system with efi, i know the fuel rail is attached to the intake but does my old carbed 20r have a return line? and if not, how do i install one.

4) will the throttle linkage work correctly with the new motor? and if not, where do i get one that will fit in a first gen truck that also works with the 22re.

i have done extensive searching for this info and have come close, but i guess i havent found anything too conclusive except about which pump to buy(the ford E2000 i hear is nice).

thanks in advance for your help guys, once i get this this rolling (ive been taking pics of my tranny swap and minor mods) ill post up a build. i promise

peace.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM

You probly could make some type of return line of the fuel rail out of rubber hose or some sort of metal if you wanted to get fancy, and then some how run it into the tank

Last edited by ethanp123; 12-10-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Yeah, that what im looking forward too in the spring/summer time. i decided not to do the swap til then but i still need more info if anyone else can chime in. thanks ethan.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 AM

20r to 22re

I'm the one you need to talk to. I've already did this with my 80 toy. I change it to 94 22re.
first off you need the all the harness from the 22re. fuse block lights everything. then its time to splice everything in. On the ignition you will need to wire in relay switchs to turn on efi ect. on the back of the instment panel there is one modification you will have to make to the circuit board. for the check engine light. you will have to drill three holes. One on the passenger side fire wall. one next to the battery and one in the top of the passenger side kick panel. to run your harness. First off I should ask you are you good at wiring?
The fuel pump" there is a lot of ways to go here. I first started with the 96 tank. but I change it back to the old tank with a mallary pump. filter and pressure regulator with all steel braded hoses. It's all in how much money you want to spend. 94 tank 0$ the setup I have 500$+
as you can see I really never went into to much detail because there is a lot to this job and I'm not in the mood to write a book. I can post pics and tell you how to go about things one by one. so first thing is to take a hacksaw to the 80 toy harness.
I also use the old 4 speed trans with no problems. just changed the flyweel
the the throttle cable on the 94 worked with no prob.
I used the radiator and the heater control switch from the 94.

Last edited by Jeff Hollings; 12-21-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 AM

wow, great info, and i am VERY relieved to finally get someone with your knowledge on this particular swap who is WILLING to really help me "one by one". wiring is easy for me, as long as i put my head in the game and dont think about anything else, I.E. go one wire at a time and identify what it all does(i have never done this and its a truely scary undertaking, but im very excited to do it) i dont understand what the 2 relays im apparently going to have to put in are for, but first your saying i need the WHOLE harness from the 86? not just the engine harness? i was figuring i would just cut and splice the 2 harnessed i have completely to nothing and then just build a whole new one from scratch out of the 2.

I am definately willing to do this though if its necessary. first off, im going to remove my harness next week sometime and strip EVERYTHING. ill post pics and show you what i know and dont know.

Where are you located by the way? and i was under the impression that toyota stopped producing the 22re around mid 1995? not 96? wierd..

anyway thanks for the help, and the money thing wont be a big deal, i always have a few hundred dollars stashed away for this project, go check out my build up forum its like 4 or 5 down. im working right now on welding in chunks of floor to cover up rust holes that i cut out.

thanks again Jeff!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 AM

I went back and edit out 96 to 94 sorry. I have so many cars and trucks that I get the years mixed up. The relays are to solve the problem with your 80 ignition switch. The 80 igniton switch dosn't have all the contacts you need so you need to wire in some relays to make the extra contacts. one for the efi and one for the buzzer to let you know your lights are on went you turn off your key. The ignition and the efi are on two differant circuits on th 94 ignition switch. The busser is nc when you turn off and open when the ignition is on. So there is only one way to make your old ignition switch work, and that is with relays.
The only part of your old harness your going to use is the one that runs to your tranny for 4wd light and backup lights. plus all the old style plug ins your going to have to wire into the 94 harness.
Do you have wiring diagrams ? If not> send me your email address and I will send you the wire diagrams for both 94 and 80. Note: all I have for the 80 is 83 diagrams but it should be the same thing. Sometime today or tomarrow I will take some pics of my wiring and post it on my profile, that way you can get some idea of where everything will fit.
the reason you need everything from the 94 is because you need to use both the inside and under the hood fuse boxes. To use the old harness would be a big waist of time and make your job harder then it needs to be.

Last edited by Jeff Hollings; 12-21-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 AM

that sounds great. my email is dreamwars@hotmail.com

so the 4wd light and reverse lights are on a different harness from the rest of the truck thats why i can still use those right? arent those the wires that come up in front of the tranny sticks on the floor of the cab? pictures and wiring diagrams would be GREAT. thanks again Jeff.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Hollings
first off you need the all the harness from the 22re. fuse block lights
I second Jeff on this, a complete harness makes everything so much easier. It can be done with what you have, but there would be so much to add on to make it would, it is just far easier to start with a complete and then take out what you don't need.

Plus you have the expensive part of the harness, the engine side, the rest of the harness is looked at as a body harness by most wrecking yards, so they usually don't hit you too bad $$$-wise.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM

yes thats the one you will save.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 AM

ok so im looking for a body harness. this motor and stuff i have for it came out of an '86. what other years will work? thanks for chiming in Tim.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM

they are differant from 86 to 96. way differant and 85 to 86 to 87 is differant as well. the efi computers aren't the same. "far as I can tell from looking at the wiring diagrams." So you need to get the harness from a 86. I would think.
Also what is your engine out of 86 __what______? I sent you the diagrams on 86 pickup. and the 80. The diagrams are in micosoft xps format. If you cant read them let me know and I will send printed copys to you. xps is the only way I can send info by way of email. the quality isn't that good. I looked at a 87 4 runner that I have and as far as I can see your only going to have to drill one hole in the passanger side firewall for the harness. You will also use the hole on the drivers side for your lights ect.
On your fuel pump. you need to run a high presure efi pump. Is your pump in the tank or on the old 20r engine? If there is no pump in your tank it will makes things easy.

Last edited by Jeff Hollings; 12-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM

the pump is in my tank BUUUUT not anymore because a few months ago it went out and i just bought a generic mechanical INLINE pump and filter so its already good for an inline system. which pump did you go with? and also, the entire efi setup i have (motor, igniter, harness, and computer) were all out of an 86 pickup.

i can try and find the guy again, (i know where he lives) but we will see if he still has the damn thing. lol. thanks SOOO much for the diagrams, this seems REALLY complicated the more i get into it, but ill just take it one step at a time. real time pics of your engine bay and actual wiring will help out as well if and when you ever get a chance. damn i wish you could just come to my house and show me in person!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 PM

hey is 75 a good price for the body harness? i got in contact with the same guy who sold me everything else and said for that harness out of the same truck it would be 100 but i countered with 70. that seems really high, but what do you guys think?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:10 PM

My swap looks differant then yours will look, because my truck is all 94 total differant fuse boxes and all. a lot differant. Here is a site that yours will look like and may help you out http://www.well.com/user/mosk/ a little.
75$ out of the same truck. Go for it ! you will know everything will plug in right.

Last edited by Jeff Hollings; 12-22-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 PM

jeff hollings do you think you could help me out all i want is the engine harness i dont want the lights and gauges as my dash stopped working other than speedo but i have all after market gauges to make up for the dash. i dont know what year my 22re is but it doesnt have a knock sensor on it. id like to just run the computer and engine harness. if you have anything that can help me eliminate all the body wires that would be awesome.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 PM

For checking throttle function use throttle position sensor(TPS). The TPS is used to monitor the position of the throttle butterfly valve.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can make the engine harness a stand alone!

I have done this on two trucks so far. It takes a bit to do but not awful. I am in the process of making another. If you need help PM me. You can also run an inline fuel pump and make the return to the fill hose. Many options. Really the only circuits that need added are the MAF and the ignition. You will however need the connectors for these. If you can wait a little bit I can even make you up a harness.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:33 PM

I'd be interested in the info you have I've got a similar project going on. I have a 1990 donor truck with all the wiring harness I'm hoping to use