4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

Proper use of a snatch strap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Proper use of a snatch strap

[YOUTUBE]f5BJpYqfjRo[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My snatch straps are not that clean after being used what with all the blasted rain and mud in these parts during fall/winter/spring time
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i keep a sharpie in my recovery bag and make anyone who i pull out sign my strap.... its funny what they write
Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM

this is crazy it was a link with the other ones from the same place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-dB6gc0Q7A
Old 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i thought u were suppose to just floor it, isnt the rev limiter steady revs? lol
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tofer
i keep a sharpie in my recovery bag and make anyone who i pull out sign my strap.... its funny what they write
thats a good idea, now i just need to start wheeling with someone thats not in a huge Rubicon...
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
They make snatching look so easy. I'm still leary or maybe a little nandy-pandy don't know.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by muddpigg
They make snatching look so easy. I'm still leary or maybe a little nandy-pandy don't know.
The only concern is to make sure that you connect to a proper tow point that can take the force. Turn back the shackle pin 1/2 turn else it may not come out. It's really not scary.

The snatch strap is similar to a bungee cord in that it builds up force and, once the stuck vehicle starts to move, it quickly releases that energy and pulls it out -- unless it's stuck real bad in which case a winch might be required. A snatch strap isn't like a regular rope where both vehicles are suddenly being jerked hard. Yes, there is a jerking feeling and steering reaction required in case the vehicle gets sideways (pulling on a corner), but don't be afraid to use one, just play safe.

Some examples ... I got stuck real back in May 2004 but was rescued with snatch straps:

Tugging backwards just wouldn't work:

Notice the Warn Recovery Receiver Shackle Bracket.

My wife and kids thought this was insanely funny

Going forward was the only way:

I've been told that tugging on the front factory "tie down" points is not a good idea as they can shear off.

That truck doesn't look like that anymore.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

The picture host server is having issues today and should be resolved soon.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm ALWAY leary when snatching. With proper tow points, and a good strap, its fine.

MANY vehicles do not have proper attachment points. That scares the crap outta me. Saw a ford truck attempt a snatch on a K5 once. Ripped the K5's front bumper/tow point off, and put it in the bed of the ford. Came about 2" from the back glass. VERY spooky.

My opinion is, if you are going to snatch someone, you make DAMN sure about their front or rear tow points are solid enough to safely snatch. If not, or you are unsure, you decline, and offer to help them in some other fashion.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
I'm ALWAY leary when snatching. With proper tow points, and a good strap, its fine.

MANY vehicles do not have proper attachment points. That scares the crap outta me. Saw a ford truck attempt a snatch on a K5 once. Ripped the K5's front bumper/tow point off, and put it in the bed of the ford. Came about 2" from the back glass. VERY spooky.

My opinion is, if you are going to snatch someone, you make DAMN sure about their front or rear tow points are solid enough to safely snatch. If not, or you are unsure, you decline, and offer to help them in some other fashion.
I agree whole heartedly, I'm not tearing my rig up nor going to get anyone hurt for someone elses stupidity.

"Poor planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually try and get them out of the situation using a snatch strap and just slowly and not "snatching" them.

On that x-jack i wonder how it would do with co2
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 AM

I agree whole heartedly, I'm not tearing my rig up nor going to get anyone hurt for someone else's stupidity.

"Poor planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
I wholeheartedly concur as well
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Easy safety measure when using a snatch strap: coil up another strap (preferably one without metal ends) in +- 3 foot coils an lay it over the top of the snatch strap prior to pulling.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM

good info !! also it is handy to place a towel or something in the middle of the strap in case it shears off on one side so it doesnt come slinging over to the other vehicle as you can have possible broken windows, injuries and what not
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM

So i've always been interested and for the most part, cautious about recovery. IMO, if you do not know how to safely recovery or be recovered, you have no business being out there.

Ever sense I replaced my factory bumpers with an ARB and Trail-gear, I noticed I lost my factory tow points. I found a loop on each side of the rear frame, perfect for a D-ring, and I have used it twice without an issue. the front however, I am little skeptical on a safe spot. The ARB is ratchet tight, not impacted, so i'm concerned of hooking up a D-ring to it for recovery. There used to be the hooks that were impacted to the front cross member but the bumper took their place. I did loop a strap through the winch area and had no issues however I was waiting for the bumper to fall off. Where do you guys recommend for the front? I could impact it down and possibly impact down the factory hooks that I saved. .