Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Straight Front or No Straight Front?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Front or No Straight Front?

Hey guys need help making a decision. Long story short i either need to change my lift kit on my IFS 4runner or do a straight front conversion. Right now i have a trail master kit on my 4runner which sucks ass. If i change the kit and leave it IFS i will be changing it to a Fabtech kit. I dont what would be better. Money is not a issue. Im more concerned with the ride of the truck and maintanence. I know that the maintenance on a lifted IFS truck needs to be done often. (CV joints, CV boots, Axles, rack and pinion, etc.) but i also have been told that the ride on a straight front sucks. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As we tell everyone here with the question you have, how much wheeling are you going to do, what type of wheeling and is this going to be a daily driver? The IFS will give you a better ride period. If you plan to "flex" your trucks suspension, then a SAS is what you need.

James
Old 08-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If money is not an issue, swap it.

The ride of your truck will be determined directly by how much research you do and how good of a job you do.

Can an improperly set up straight axle truck ride like garbage and be potentially dangerous? Absolutely.

Can a properly set up swapped truck ride like a dream, be functional and extremely strong? Absolutely.

ORS makes the kit you need: It says it is for tacoma, but talk to them on the phone, and they can help you make it work for the 4runner, since you have the same drivetrain.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...ilover_systems

Maintenance will be similar. You just have to maintenance different stuff. Both systems require work to keep them running well. FWIW, I have 300k on one of my original CV's. Still running strong. Not sure how "often" you thought you needed to change them, but its not very.

If you do the swap right, your breakage will go down significantly.

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-08-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke

The ride of your truck will be determined directly by how much research you do and how good of a job you do.

Can an improperly set up straight axle truck ride like garbage and be potentially dangerous? Absolutely.

Can a properly set up swapped truck ride like a dream, be functional and extremely strong? Absolutely.

ORS makes the kit you need: It says it is for tacoma, but talk to them on the phone, and they can help you make it work for the 4runner, since you have the same drivetrain.

[urlhttp://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/suspension.htm#tacoma_coilover_systems[/url]

Maintenance will be similar. You just have to maintenance different stuff. Both systems require work to keep them running well. FWIW, I have 300k on one of my original CV's. Still running strong. Not sure how "often" you thought you needed to change them, but its not very.

A off-road shop here in hawaii will be doing the swap. They are very good. maybe a picture of my truck will help you guys have more of an idea.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hayn4x4
A off-road shop here in hawaii will be doing the swap. They are very good. maybe a picture of my truck will help you guys have more of an idea.

so you definitely don't use your 4runner off road is what your telling us...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. His truck, he can build it as he chooses.

Swap will set you back, but it'll be worth it. You'll be able to run much larger tires.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how can you offroad in hawaii its all beaches
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
Lava flows dude!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 PM

AxleIke made a great suggestion. The ORS coilover has a similar-to-stock street ride quality. So says my magazines.

I would love to see someone do that swap
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
We go on the beaches. But we also have valleys, mountains, trails, etc. Not too much rocky stuff though.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hayn4x4

this is a street truck! You have NO reason for a solid axle....save the parts for someone who will actually use them... you ask for my opinion and Im gonna give it to ya straight up brah
Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
this is a street truck! You have NO reason for a solid axle....save the parts for someone who will actually use them... you ask for my opinion and Im gonna give it to ya straight up brah
Why do you say its a "street truck"?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...ilover_systems

Yup from an IFS guy he speaks the truth... but do realize there are many hidden costs in doing a swap