Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

new to sas

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to sas

hi im new to the site, an what ive seen is awsome there some realy talented people here. i have a lifted 88 pick up an wanted to do a sas . i have the complete front clip off a85. my question is should i look for a swap kit an if so what would u recomend, or should i graft it on to another frame.

thanks for any input
Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
search buttton...there is a surplus of info on every aspect of a SAS on this site, check out Pirate as well

but y do u want to do an SAS? do u need it? have u wheeled the crap out of the IFS?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a kit. The only thing you'll use from the 85 is the axle. To try and graft everything over will cause more harm than good.

Kit wise, do a search. You'll find more than enough info on what kits are available, what kit comes with what and so forth.

I think Pirate4x4 has a thread (just read it the other day) on SAS KIT FAQ. Lists most of the kits out there and what kit comes with what.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM

yeah a sas all comes down to do you really need it, have you taken your ifs toyota to a point that you say I cannot do this and all hell is maxed out. I go wheeling all the time and I still haven't need a sas yet I go on skid trails that are hairpins with tank traps and still have room to spair and I run bfgoodrich all-terrain baja champs and they have ty lugs. Last week end I went grouse hunting and went all over and had fun even with a ifs. Its all skill a sas is nice I want one but not yet I haven't pushed my truck to the wall yet, but next week Im getting a axle to build for it when it comes time.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Contributing Member

Who cares if he "needs" it. If he wants it, then by all means do it.

Some folks want a solid axle because they want to wheel where IFS can't. Theres many trails that would snap crackle and pop IFS parts like rice patties.

Since "joe" doesn't have any idea where to buy a SAS kit, that 'must' mean he's a newbie driver and has to learn how to off-road until he breaks parts..

...ok, maybe so, but something NEVER mentioned is people that actually possess natural born skill & talent behind any machine with a steering wheel and on any terrain.

SAS kits:
www.marlincrawler.com
www.allprooffroad.com
www.trail-gear.com
www.sky-manufacturing.com

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Yeah its ture what you said rocket, but how could someone benfit from a sas if they truely hate ifs and see the diffrencce for ones self? what were saying is that knowing the limit of IFS, when its time to swap he/she will know how great the sas is.

Im not saying don't do the sas, but rather its your rig go for it but have know how and know what your getting into. I learning about the sas and want to do it right on my rig so that at every turn I have in the swap I don't have to ask every minute "what do I do next?"

Good luck if you do and ask more questions and read up.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 PM

thank you guys for all the responses. i just want to do the swap because i like the way it looks and because i cant leave anything alone
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by baddog23
thank you guys for all the responses. i just want to do the swap because i like the way it looks and because i cant leave anything alone
hmmmm, well that is just rediculous.

but to be helpful, use a kit. You will be better off in the end and have a stronger setup and it will be SO much easier...
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner
hmmmm, well that is just rediculous.
I have to agree.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ridiculous? It is common place here. 75% of all the swaps done here were done for looks, the swapper just might not admit it.

The kit makes it easy. You will spend nearly as much actual money on trying to piece it together yourself, and you will spend oodles more time.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Ridiculous? It is common place here. 75% of all the swaps done here were done for looks, the swapper just might not admit it.

The kit makes it easy. You will spend nearly as much actual money on trying to piece it together yourself, and you will spend oodles more time.

Good luck.
75%...Where did you come up with that figure?