Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

96' SAS Project Stranded! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' SAS Project Stranded! Need help!

Hey yotatech,
Im a noob to the site and to the offroading community. I'm currently in the middle of a SAS on a 96' Tacoma ex cab, 2.7l and im KINDA screwed! So for unnamed reasons i tourched my ifs and lift on the front end so i needed to fix my truck anyway. My neighbor is a welder and fabricator by trade and he convinced me to do the swap in the first place. I didn't have a licence, had alittle extra cash from my last deployment, and had alot of time since im and unemployed student. LOL So i bought the TG SAS kit "B" in 4" and their matching rear 4'' just to make things even. My neighbor told me to get that kit (its hardcore and very comprehensive) and he'd get the axle. We got a waggy dana 44 and the TG kit seems to be all toyota parts. He broke up w/ his girlfriend and moved back to his house 3 days ago and now im stranded and ive never done anything like this before but im pretty mechanically inclined, i am just uneducated.
So heres where im at right now. Ive got the rear axle back under it, front shackles in place and rears tacked. Pearches on so its sitting on its rear right now, havent finalized anything so that i can make adjustment when i set the pinion angle. The front has the pearches on and leafs on but as u remember the afore mentioned axle issue. It would seem as if its just u and me completing this build yotatech. I can only see 2 options here concerning the axle but if someones got something else PLEASE let me know!
1. sell the axle/steering parts i have and buy ones, have my axle housing cut, which will also require new gears (4.10s), axle shafts so on and so fourth and would cost $$$....
2. get rid of the dana 44 axle and pick up a yota one, but that means id have to get the inchworm adapter plate what will put my output shaft on the passenger side and any number of unforseen problems that i may not know how to fix and the obvious $$$...... but on the upside i could use all the TG steering and axle components.
I still got the garage and most of the tools and with toyatechers input im hoping i can have this baby rolling for less than a grand in 2 weeks. Can we do it? Any and all advise is welcome!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Read the install instructions. You'll learn more from those than anything anyone types on here.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM

that still doesnt help. there is no specification on the axle, so again the axle is the real issue
Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

No specification on the axle? You said what axle you have, D44. Want the education, do th research. This stuff is all over the Internet.
Personally, get a Toyota axle as it will make your life easier in the long run.

As far as SASing a truck, it isn't like building a Lego car. All the pieces aren't just going to snap together like in the pictures. It requires some reasoning, measuring, calculating and repeating.

It sounds to me as if you are WAY over your head with your project and need to go whip your so called friend's arse for bailing on you.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-01-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM

i think i can handle the rest of the build. I have basic fabrication skills and all of the shackle points r on and i can do the steering my myself so im hung up on what to do with axle. so the real question is what is the most cost effective way to go.....use and cut the axle i have or go with the adapter and yota axle? if I go with the tota axle what are problems Im likely to run into? It looks like the headers and exhaust are gonna need to be relocated and im sure there's a number of things that im just not seeing. Thats what I really wanna know
Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Get out a pad and pencil and start two columns for each option.
Do the research and add up the costs involved.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech!

Teh Wabbit has given you some good advice - there is a TON of info on SAS' here and plenty of people have been in your shoes.

I agree with Wabbit when he said it sounds like you are over your head with this build - I would try and recruit some buddies to help you with it. Just take your time and read as much as you can on everything.

Fink