Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

SoCal!! Superstition 7 Jan 14-16 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoCal!! Superstition 7 Jan 14-16 2005

Mikey mentioned this upcoming run on another thread, but it needs it's own so more people can see it.
All the details are on the San Diego 4Wheelers website- Clicky thing!!!!

I've been wanting to go to the superstition area since last years event I missed, and since Mikey won a killer winch in the raffle I've got to get a ticket for this years drawing.

Now, all you Southern California guys, who can make it? It would be nice to get a big turnout to show all the Jeep guys the error of their ways.

This is yet another event/wheeling opportunity that all you guys claim to be dying to go to, and yet never do.

Stop doing "Mods" and take your junk out and wheel it!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

I am planning on going. I get back from my cruise on the 13th. I will let you know.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

I'll be in AZ that weekend, wheelin on some rocks!
Old 12-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How intense is Superstition? I'd be down to go. But I am alergic to body damage. As far as ratios go, I probably wouln't help cuz I'd bring my jeep buddy.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

I'm a possibly maybe on this. I would like to see the area. I have to move out of my apartment that weekend but it's possible I can do it earlier to make the run.

Will post later.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:10 PM

i just sent in my registration today so i'm in unless my rig blows up or something wacky like that im in baby!!!. if nothing else pick a run on saturday and we can do our own thing sunday. i did that last year and it was great. also the blue angels training ground is superstition so not only can you wheel your arse off. you can probably get a free air show. you can buy as many raffle tickets as you want and they usually have well over 30k in prizes.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM

I probably WILL be able to make it. Not sure if I want to register yet though. You guys think it'll be a problem if I register on site?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Did youg et your 4Runner back?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

sorry guys but i can't make it. i'll be in mammoth that weekend so maybe next time have fun!!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Darx
Did youg et your 4Runner back?
Not yet, but there working on it now. Pro-Trux was booked up through the holidays so I just kept it there in the meantime. Unfortunately I wont be doing the 3.4 swap. I was all for it, but they seemed hesitent about doing the swap. I guess they weren't expecting me to still say yes after they told me it would take a few months and it would't pass the visual portion of the smog test. The owner told he he would buy my engine (since good 3.0's are hard to find at this point) once they get the problems with their swaps fixed, and do the swap then. Anyway, I'm also asking them them do a dual battery setup and possible skid plates. I still have my lift sitting in my brother's garage. I won't be installing that untill after Superstition. Hopefully my truck will be done before the run.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:54 AM

registration on site is no problem! just make sure you have your registration and insurance or you will not be able to go on a run. they have a list of stuff they check for on the registration form make sure you have it all. if anyone needs a C.B. i have one that i can loan you for the weekend.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 AM

I'm in

I'll be sending my reg. in today. Prob head out late Fri or early Sat. This time I'm bringing some beer!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 AM

I'm probably going, but I'm not sure what level of difficulty suits me.

Body damage is a no.

I want a little challenge, but I want to have fun too. My friend who will be coming has a relatively stock XJ. He said he went on the green run before and was bored.

What runs are you guys doing??
Old 12-28-2004, 07:47 AM

Phalanx. I saw you're runner over ther. Pretty sweet. I like your bumpers- who made em?

I guess the 3.4 swap is pretty involved on the electrical side, and we all know how tough Cali can be on the smog side. (And with good reason....have you seen Pomona lately?)

So they're just waiting until they get better at the swaps to do yours? Jim will take care of you.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Phalanx. I saw you're runner over ther. Pretty sweet. I like your bumpers- who made em?

I guess the 3.4 swap is pretty involved on the electrical side, and we all know how tough Cali can be on the smog side. (And with good reason....have you seen Pomona lately?)

So they're just waiting until they get better at the swaps to do yours? Jim will take care of you.
Thanks!!
All-pro made the bumpers. Cool think is the're bolt on, except the sliders. They make them for the first gen as well.
The problem Pro-trux have with the swap is the wiring harness. There having problems with the engine light. I guess they keep getting a idle safety error along with a few others. They figure it will pass the emmision portion of the test but the tach and oil gauges dont work and the check engine light cant be cleared so it wont pass visual. I have a "hookup" for the visual part of the smog test for the check engine problem, and I dont have an issue rigging up aftermarket gauges.
So far I think they have only done one swap which is still incomplete. Its that white 2wd second gen with the crazy front and rear fenders. There still working out the bugs after something like 3 months. Yea, Jim is pretty cool.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:26 PM

Yeah that's Chris White's 4runner. Pretty cool. I was talking to jim about the swap and somehow he had found a place that had worked through all the problems. Maybe they can help him through it. Just a matter of time before he gets it.

Chris is selling the 4runner last I spoke with him. Too bad it isn't 4wd. He was having header troubles with it at the Protrux desert challenge.

I'll check into those sliders. How much did they run? Did Protrux throw em on for you? I'll check out allpro. My nerf bars will probably need to go when I put the 62's in the rear.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Phalanx
Not yet, but there working on it now. Pro-Trux was booked up through the holidays so I just kept it there in the meantime. Unfortunately I wont be doing the 3.4 swap. I was all for it, but they seemed hesitent about doing the swap. I guess they weren't expecting me to still say yes after they told me it would take a few months and it would't pass the visual portion of the smog test. The owner told he he would buy my engine (since good 3.0's are hard to find at this point) once they get the problems with their swaps fixed, and do the swap then. Anyway, I'm also asking them them do a dual battery setup and possible skid plates. I still have my lift sitting in my brother's garage. I won't be installing that untill after Superstition. Hopefully my truck will be done before the run.
Bummer on the swap. I could have sworn there's some dude here who lives in Texas that posted up that he has done a few swaps and got all the bugs worked out so the gauges work and no lights come on. Well, anyway, Jim seems like a nice guy.

They did my ADD to manul hub swap for me. I didn't have all the parts like cone washers and other little things liek that but they gave it to me for free since they had used parts laying around for that kind of stuff. Left a huge mess for me to clean up in differential fluid. Guess the tech wanted to go home and decided not to clean it up. Jim did call me though to ask if I had a leak since he found fluid in the bay. I thought that was nice of them so I went to check and just found it all over everything and in the skid plate.

Well, a new 3.0 is better than an old tired one!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:49 PM

Sean with TLT just swapped a 3.4 into a first gen. He posts all the time on here. I'm not sure if he experiences the swap dilemmas, but he'd be a good source.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:35 AM

if you guys do the suv run or rabbits foot the chance for damage is nil. if nothing else you can come out play on your own all day and then buy some raffle tickets (no reg required) and maybe win some stuff. last year they gave away like 5 winches and two sets of 35" tires, not to mention all the smaller stuff which there is a ton of
Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 AM

I don't want body damage, but the rabbits foot run sounds so lame....like jeeps.
Just Kidding.

I think I want to do one of the runs, even if it costs some cash. How much are extra raffle tickets?

Also would I be there for the raffle if I just came out on saturday???

I want to win some chrome valve stem caps

Quick Reply: SoCal!! Superstition 7 Jan 14-16 2005