Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Nor Cal Toyota owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
ohhh that sucks. if you cant get the CB out, if you have the receipt for it, the insurance should pay for it. i think its anything within a year.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to gut it pretty easily at the tow yard. I pulled my amps, sub, deck and speakers along with the cb.I left most of the wiring as I didn't want to pull it all out. Might go back and get the long main wires from the battery to amps. everything else I think I can replace without too much problem. cb wire was like $8. Just kinda bummed I will have to rewire all that crap in the next car.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I enjoy the wiring part. But I would be pissed if I didnt get my wire. Its like $100 just to wire up my sub amp.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Hey chris that sucks....
I would try to buy it back after the insurance pays for ur new rig. Be a great star for a wheeling machine. I would buy a daily driver and turn this into a truggy
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM

yeah. I've been thinking about it a bit. Dunno if I have room for all these projects that keep building though. I think it would need new rims. Rear axle and diff. Leaf springs. Maybe a new door on the passenger side. transmission may be shot as it was making some odd noises at the tow yard when the guy tried to put it into drive. Sway bar snapped. Bed would need to be swapped or removed. If only I had a nice big garage or barn and tons of money.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Sorta Falling in love with a few of them on craigslist. That 81 is very nice looking.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1117887810.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1117708784.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1117039150.html
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM

honestly. i'd go for the runner for two resons the efi motor is a better setup IMO. it already has a lift and tires and i am not sure but i had the same issues that one did. cost me a grand plus i had all the fluids changed. the 81 has the solid axil though soooo..... it is kinda a toss up oh yeah all included the runner saves u a grand
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 PM

John do you wanna make a run up there this weekend?

We are thinking saturday.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 PM

started reading this thread, was stoked about red bluff trip cause i live in redding (20 mins away), bummed when it looked boring.. hope i can make it to the lakes trails though, those do look exciting
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mudder
started reading this thread, was stoked about red bluff trip cause i live in redding (20 mins away), bummed when it looked boring.. hope i can make it to the lakes trails though, those do look exciting
cool man we will all be looking for you
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM

WOAAAHH!!!! THIS NORCAL Thread just exploded since the last time i saw it!!! hahaha NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 PM

anyone live in/near redding? if so id be down to show you some trails from beginner to wild.. also would like to know about more open ones too
Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4mudder
anyone live in/near redding? if so id be down to show you some trails from beginner to wild.. also would like to know about more open ones too
Dude you should come out for memor weekend its not that much further. I mean we got guys willing to drive 4 hrs to get here.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
John do you wanna make a run up there this weekend?

We are thinking saturday.
Yeah saturday sounds tight.
Got lots to do today. Possibly pick cb up from repair man in chico. Install it. Go to corning have alum diam plate cut for rear quarter interiors. Install. Connect rear speakers property as I seen they never got done right. And the diam plate has to be painted.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Nice!

Well Keep in contact. We usually leave magalia about 9-10am.
Let me know what works and we can set a time.

John if you make it then thats at least 3 rigs. There might be another 1 or 2 but im not postive.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah I am down. Not sure I'll have cb but the alum is lookin tight.
Might bring the wife and kid so not gonna get crazy. May find a bb sitter though
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
daaamn dude, your truck got smashed the f-up!!! dumb broad prolly sqwakin' on her cell phone while driving. too bad you didn't have any sliders on there, probably wouldn't have been so bad. i'm amazed to see your driveshaft is sheared yet the exhaust is still intact.

of those rigs you listed, i'd go for the black 4runner, but could be a headache since it doesn't pass smog as is.

idk how much you have/want to spend, but if it were me, i'd be looking for the newest rig i could afford. good luck finding one.

on a side note, I think that we should start making a list of all the trails in Nor Cal that are more suited for stock rigs - you know, trails rated at like a 5 instead of a 10 like the Rubicon/Fordyce. i know there are a lot out there, but most trails listed on wheeling sites are dedicated to the hardcore guys with SAS and 37" tires or they just aren't that fun. know what i'm saying? i'm always down to go have some fun wheeling, but while i'm still a rookie on the trail and have bills to pay, i'd like to know what my options are so i can still drive to work the next day.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:59 AM

WOW chris i didn't even see the pics of your rig until just now..

Sorry to see that...
ANy new updates on whats happening with you?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
daaamn dude, your truck got smashed the f-up!!! dumb broad prolly sqwakin' on her cell phone while driving. too bad you didn't have any sliders on there, probably wouldn't have been so bad. i'm amazed to see your driveshaft is sheared yet the exhaust is still intact.

of those rigs you listed, i'd go for the black 4runner, but could be a headache since it doesn't pass smog as is.

idk how much you have/want to spend, but if it were me, i'd be looking for the newest rig i could afford. good luck finding one.

on a side note, I think that we should start making a list of all the trails in Nor Cal that are more suited for stock rigs - you know, trails rated at like a 5 instead of a 10 like the Rubicon/Fordyce. i know there are a lot out there, but most trails listed on wheeling sites are dedicated to the hardcore guys with SAS and 37" tires or they just aren't that fun. know what i'm saying? i'm always down to go have some fun wheeling, but while i'm still a rookie on the trail and have bills to pay, i'd like to know what my options are so i can still drive to work the next day.
that is a really good idea, as we all started stock one day and had no idea where to wheel with out the fear of getting stuck. So instead we build our rigs to ease the fear and find out we would have been wheeling for year just being stock. I will do my best to start looking for places stockies can go.

I am working on my truck about three hours everday trying to be as ready as i can for the trip in may. My cb is on the way, i get it on wedensday. today i got my three gallon air tank mounted and was working on my compressor but found out it shorted on the body so im useing some rubber to insulate against the housing and the body of the truck. I should have the compressor mounted towmarow and start the plumbing. I have had my ARB for a year and finally now i will be able to turn it on.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Trust me man. the highlakes is good for some stockers too.
We are going to head up there this weekend and we will definitely get some pics for ya.

Just depends on what trails you want to try.

Don't worry about getting stuck.. There will be other rigs/people who won't leave you hanging.. If something breaks then we work as a team to get you home, etc....

As far as it goes.. Try to get as much stuff done as possible, but don't go breaking the bank for mods since it is not that hard.

we will hopefully get some pics up Saturday night.

Quick Reply: Nor Cal Toyota owners