Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Moab for Fall of 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab for Fall of 2005

Last year I started the M4R4A Yahoo group e-mail list for the purpose of organizing a Moab gathering out of the public eyes of the BLM. This was to stay below their requirements for getting a permit. (If you advertise to invite the public or have more than 50 vehicles, you need a BLM event permit with horribly expensive insurance attached to it). It turns out that this year's group split will benefit that situation as well since it'll keep the group sizes smaller. Due to other things going on in my life now, I don't see myself organizing another Moab gathering anytime soon, so I'm planning to close out my M4R4A Yahoo group soon so it's not hanging out there.

Steve Schaefer has broken away with several people and is organizing a Moab gathering next month for the "rowdier" crowd. See his website if you're interested.

There is another group that is beginning to plan to go to Moab on a later date for the "more mature" crowd. Greg Filipek (MNBOY) has offered to be the point man this year for people who are interested in attending that gathering. This one will actually keep the name M4R4A (Moab 4R Foray).

No offense intended by those group descriptions. I don't know how else to say it.

I'm absolutely certain that BOTH of those Moab groups will have more fun than they otherwise would because they will be separated from each other. So pick the appropriate group for you.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ideas on dates?

I may not have a truck done and I can play well with both crowds, or so I think.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 PM

Is that about a 6 hour drive to areas around Moab for 4Wheeling from Denver?
How many days would this M4R4A be for?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one Steve is planning is 3 days. That is what it was last year.

Moab is about 6 hours from Denver and well worth the trip.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A suggestion on dates, is october 13/14-16th....just a thought, i'd love to be able to come, but that's the only week i could do it...and it is well worth the trip...very different, and rewarding...
Old 09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

we would "love" to make it out there, so please post up some dates..
we are down with the "more mature" crowd.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

I think I might have dropped the ball on this. I don't check this board very often anymore and just realized folks may be waiting on me to announce a date. I was not intending on organizing this gathering. I was trying to put together a group of friends to meet up in Moab this fall and mentioned that to Jeff. He may have mistook that as volunteering to organize this event and I didn't see that people had replied to this thread looking for a date to be announced. The original post he put up said to contact me and I hadn't heard from anyone so I didn't bother looking into it.
With that said, there is still a good possibility that I will be in Moab this fall. My tentative plans are to drive down on Oct. 6 & 7, wheel the 8,9, &10th, then leave for home sometime the following week depending on how much time off my GF can get. With me not working right now it's up in the air if I will drive my stock pickup and do easy trails, or pony up the money to tow the runner down.
Email me or send a PM if anyone might want to meet up, and if there is enough interest we can try to arrange something. More people means more need for organization so my level of involvement in this will depend on the amount of interest.but
Old 09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

I have too many projects going on and just finished running the Rubicon last weekend, so I won't be able to attend this year.