Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mission Mine

The Mission Mine was the newest mine in the area that was open til 1988. It had a 300 foot shaft with an elevator. This mine looks like it closed suddenly and the crews left everything there. It's tricky to find and how they got all that stuff in the canyon is beyond me, that's probroly why they left it. Afew of the crew went down the shaft and described other levels but they did not do alot of exploring do to the fact, as they put it " It looked spooky".
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmisnmine02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmisnmine09.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 09-12-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Supply & Lorman Mines

The Supply & Lorman Mines are also known as Dale #2 and Dale #3. There not alot to see here but a few foundations and old tin cans.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvlormnmine02.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Virgina Dale Mine

The Virgina Dale Mine was one of the larger mines in the area, when we arrived it was getting dark so locating things became a little harder. There was a small tunnel at the bottom and at first we thought this was it, but it turned out the real mine was up a hill and 200 feet away. It had lots of old rusty holding tanks and foundations on the hillside and after hunting around in the dark we findly located the tunnel opening. We went in about 150ft and hadn't even begun to explore before turning around and heading back out due to the time (10:00pm). We will go back at another time to see this mine and it was easy to get to only being a few miles from Old Dale and the Hiway.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvvirnadalmine02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-forsalelittlwork.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Now that the Temps seem to be droping down to the mid 80's we will head out to The Columbia Mine and the War eagle Mine in the northen part of the Mojave Desert next.

We are planing on the weekend of Sept. 23rd.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you guys meet up for when I can actually go? Soccer season just started up last weekend and will continue through just before Thanksgiving. Until then, my Saturdays are kind of hard to free up, but I might take one weekend off. I would like to go and my wife wants me out also. She's tired of me just talking about it and says to just shut up and go. So, I figure sometime after mid November I would be able to go but need to know where the launching point is and how long you go for.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:39 PM

10 o'clock! Wow I guess we cut out early(had to pick up the kids from gramma's house)! lol Did you check out the Carlyle too? that one is just east of supply and up on top of the hill. Being that this was also my birthday this trip was one of my best and most memorable!! First thing I did Sunday morning was take that bumper and hitch off and cut the exhaust shorter. I fixed that clearance problem! lol I tore a hole hole in my a cv boot but that is getting fix as I type this. Like I said this was a great trip and great company too...the guys I ridden with in the past were more of a "your on your own" type not at all like you Chris or Ollie!

Dennis

Last edited by Compass Creek; 09-12-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Compass Creek
10 o'clock! Wow I guess we cut out early(had to pick up the kids from gramma's house)! lol Did you check out the Carlyle too? that one is just east of supply and up on top of the hill. Being that this was also my birthday this trip was one of my best and most memorable!! First thing I did Sunday morning was take that bumper and hitch off and cut the exhaust shorter. I fixed that clearance problem! lol I tore a hole hole in my a cv boot but that is getting fix as I type this. Like I said this was a great trip and great company too...the guys I ridden with in the past were more of a "your on your own" type not at all like you Chris or Ollie!

Dennis
Yeah, Those guy's are still buzzin about getting there 2X through that Boulder canyon and with not having a posi or locker. They sure proved you can take a 2X Toyota with some travel on a 4X trail.

No we never went up to the Carlyle Mine since time and daylight where becoming a factor, and it started to get dark and harder to see the terrian.
When we arrived at the Virgina Dale it had become pitch black with darkness, no sign of a moon. As we hunted around with my handheld GPS unit looking for the VDM we stumbled apon a Bobcat (that can be exciting). I took more photo's but they ended up out of focus and the flash finished off the battery. As we walked around in the dark we came accross alot of rusty old mining gear. The mine is worth coming back for another look.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvchris2xrig04.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvkyle2xrig.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojv2xleadsway.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 09-15-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:26 PM

In my desert and mine research I came accross this web site that has some great ghost stories (aliens-Ghost) for around the camp fire, and most stories cover the area we go out too. Go to a web site called Inquiring-mines.com and do a site seach for "Secrets of the Mojave". I've told stories like these on camping trips to newbies and can really spark up the night when your in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Lol just a few months ago we were camping and telling our bear encounters stories and sure enough that night I didn't sleep a wink. lol Those stories we get you every time in a new place that's for sure. lol

I've got CPR/first aid re-certification next weekend so I'll pass the Inyo county trip but do you have anything planned for Oct. yet?

Dennis
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM

Okay, where Heading out to Mojave again this weekend. We are heading to the Hart mining area instead of going to the Columbia Mine, We will save the Columbia mine for another trip in Oct. This trip will take us to a area that has alot of caves and mines. This is a 2 nite 3 day trip, Where leaving Friday (9:30PM) and will return Sunday afternoon. Scott
Old 09-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Hart Mining area

The first mine we came to was the Billy Boy Mine. This was a pretty large area with alot of mine shafts and Tunnels. The mine goes back to the 1890's but looked like someone turned it into a lab for some illegal doings in the more resent years, The largest mine in the area had a small opening but opened up to 10' as you entered. It went in a few hundred feet and at the end there was a shaft. As you look up the shaft you can see upper levels. We didn't get to explore them.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbilyboymine02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbilyboymine12.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbilyboymine08.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 PM

We where a little disapointed with the Hart Mine area, It seems the BLM allowed a large mining company to strip the area and none of the mines are there. There was a fireplace and some ruins but nothing to write home about. So with this in mine we headed to Rag Town and Steadman which where close to a trail we would take to leave.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmineshart04.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmineshart20.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmineshart22.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 07:08 PM

Rag Town and Steadman

Rag Town and Steadman. We added these 2 ghost towns to are trip. They where worth it. The Bagdad Chase Mine was the largest producer in San Bernadino County of Gold and Copper in the 1890's. This mine allowed the towns to grow until the 1920's. The Southern Rail Road had track laid in the area so they could transport the Ore to the Santa Fe RR in Ludlow The track is gone but the grade still remains. This area has alot of history but none of the buildings remain. The mines where some of the largest I have been in yet. Many different levels and openings. We spent all afternoon here and barely scatch the surface. Lots of old artifacts to be found. This area is a little hard to get to because the Sant Fe has torn up the road crossing that allowed access to the area so you have to find away over 3 main line tracks.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvragtn02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvragtn08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvragtn19.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 07:12 PM

There also was an old Grave yard here, with the most resent death being 1922
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvminesratown06.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvminesludlow06.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvragtn16.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 PM

Middle October for Columbia Mine

We are planing the next Mojave Mine trip for the middle of October. This time we will being going to the southern part of Death Valley to the Columbia Mine area. We will also being exploring the Coloseum Mine thats near the Calif. and Nevada border. (state line)

More Pic's
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbagdadchce08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvstedman08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvstedman09.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

I'd love to go... but I am scheduled for Anza on the weekend of the 14th. That should be a blast as well... why don't you guys meet us out there?!?!?!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:54 AM

Had a great time out there, covered a lot of miles and explored more mines! Going from Baker to Primm, Primm to almost Laughlin and Laughlin to Ludlow all on dirt was quite the experience. Would like to thank Scott for letting me tag along and definatly cant wait for the next trip!
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-dscf0406.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-dscf0415.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-dscf0439.jpg  
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 AM

Couple more pictures
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-dscf0445.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-dscf0446.jpg  
Old 09-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread! It would be fun to tag along with you guys sometime. Even my wife liked your "pretty" pictures!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Great thread! It would be fun to tag along with you guys sometime. Even my wife liked your "pretty" pictures!
Yeah, feel free to come along. We have a couple more trips to Mojave and then we will start on Death Valley in November. That area makes for some great Pic's. Scott

Quick Reply: Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.