Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update on Mine Hunting

"So Many Mines", That's the only way to decribe last weekends trip to Mojave Desert. The first mine we explored was the "Johnny Tunnel". This mine was not where the GPS and area maps showed it to be, which can be the case alot of the time, since some minner's didn't want the Goverment or tresspasser's to know where the real entrance was, so you have to hunt around in the 108 degree heat to find some of them, But not the case for larger mines they can be spoted miles away.

The Johnny Tunnel was a mid size mine going into the hill side about 800 feet or so with a couple of Y type inersections. We didn't stay here long or check the area for anything else because of time and we would be back in this area again for a longer amount of time on another trip.

September trip will be the second weekend. This trip will probroly be back to part of this area to do some more detailed exploring.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvjnytunn08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvjnytunn14.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvjnytunn22.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:43 AM

The Death Valley Mine was not much to explore. The area is fenced and the mine is a shaft that you would have to repel down into "PASS"
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvdthvlymine04.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 08-30-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 AM

New Era mine

The New Era mine is worth checking out, This area has alot of old buildings and has plenty of exploring. This is another place we will be going back to and spend more time.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvneweramine06.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvneweramine22.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvneweramine07.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 AM

Evening Star Mine

Evening Star mine is also worth a look. It's in the same area as the New Era mine. This is also a very large mine that you have to climb down in. lots of things here to see. It's only 3 miles off a paved road so real easy to get too.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvevnstarmine09.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvevnstarmine14.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvevnstarmine17.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 10:18 AM

Bonanaza King Mine

Where going back to Mojave mid September, If any of you would like to join us or have any suggestions dates or on some mines to check out. We are thinking about returning to the same area (Cima, Ivanpah) there is alot more mines here. This last trip we spent alot of time off roading which was fun, but the next trip we will be staying in one area and not driving across the whole Mojave Perserve.

One of the Mines that was a good one, is the Bonanaza KIng mine, This area is huge with old ruins everywhere. I would recommend going here and it's easy to get to with alot to explore.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine01.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine16.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine19.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 AM

Bonanaza King Mine

More Pic's
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine03.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine06.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvbonkingmine12.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is an awesome thread....I wish I could head out with you guys.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

we need more wheeling threads like this one, that incorporate adventure/exploring..
rather than just plain wheeling.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM

Wow...cool times! (Err guess its not so cool temp. wise)

Wish I wasn't so claustrophobic...I would love to explore those mines.

More photos please.

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

You guys ever rap down any of the shafts? There's a grip up here that you can rap down and check out. It's a little hairy at points, but very cool. Out here near Bullhead/Laughlin there's a bunch of great trails/mines to be explored...
Old 08-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

please be very careful. A year after highschool some guys got stuck down in a shaft, when the rescue guys came (blm firefighters) one of the local reporters was looking down a shaft when there was an explosion. My friend was holding the dude in his arms and looking at his face freshly peeled off, he still has nightmares.

For me, 200 ft down and ladder rungs are coming off in your hands with a reported depth of 600 ft, I got the heck out of there.

Keep an eye on the timbers, have a set time to go in and come out. have a person up top to call in the cavalry if you are not out in the designated time. You can always reset the clock and go back in.

My pops and his buddy went down 800 ft in Mequite TX, they brought a lot of cool stuff out, but they left the dead sheep
Old 08-31-2005, 05:07 PM

WoW, Yeah you can never be to carefull you will never know what you'll find, The Mine Shaft Is appealing for exploring, they have been less picked through then a Tunnel mine, from what I hear, I think I'll stick to the tunnel type that are of solid rock.
We use to go with a crew that where pretty nuts and climbing up or down a shaft was a rush for them like a rock climber would get. After awhile they became a little to reckless for my type mine exploring. One thing though, They always did come back with some cool story's of things they found and stuff they couldn't carry back. Still not enough for me to go with them, Something about going down a hole, just doesn't do it for me. I want to know I can run out at any giv'in moment.

There where a Couple mines on last weekends trip that where to hairy to go into far, like the New Era Mine, It was a tunnel mine but it became narrow at about 100 feet in and started spliting off in different directions and each one seemed even narrower(is that a word), so that was it for me, I was outta there... I like large openings where 2 people can walk side by side.

Another mine was the Old Dominon Mine that was a little to much for our crew. To get in you had to crawl on you knees for 50-60 feet before it opens up, so this was a good time to bring up my bad knee to avoid going in.

You can never say it enough to be Safe Out There. When we go I leave GPS points with my family and are routes we plan to take with departing and arrivel times. And of course the life line Cell Phone that works just about everywhere out there is helpful but when you add all of it up, your still in the middle of nowhere. And then on top of all that a freind brings up a web site he visited with info about "The Secrets of Mojave" and now we have some good campfire story's to tell. BE SAFE and BE AWARE.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvneweramine13.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvjnytunn01.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvolddemnmine06.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 11-09-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
You guys ever rap down any of the shafts? There's a grip up here that you can rap down and check out. It's a little hairy at points, but very cool. Out here near Bullhead/Laughlin there's a bunch of great trails/mines to be explored...
Some freinds of mine live in bullhead and we go by in visit them during Mojave trips sometimes. They takin us by Oatman into a couple of large mines but that's about it. I hope to get out there more often in the future.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottz
WoW, Yeah you can never be to carefull you will never know what you'll find, The Mine Shaft Is appealing for exploring, they have been less picked through then a Tunnel mine, from what I hear, I think I'll stick to the tunnel type that are of solid rock.
We use to go with a crew that where pretty nuts and climbing up or down a shaft was a rush for them like a rock climber would get. After awhile they became a little to reckless for my type mine exploring. One thing though, They always did come back with some cool story's of things they found and stuff they couldn't carry back. Still not enough for me to go with them, Something about going down a hole, just doesn't do it for me. I want to know I can run out at any giv'in moment.

There where a Couple mines on last weekends trip that where to hairy to go into far, like the New Era Mine, It was a tunnel mine but it became norrow at about 100 feet in and started spliting off in different directions and each one seemed even norrower, so that was it for me, I was outta there... I like large openings where 2 people can walk side by side.

Another mine was the Old Dominon Mine that was a little to much for our crew. To get in you had to crawl on you knees for 50-60 feet before it opens up, so this was a good time to bring up my bad knee to avoid going in.

You can never say it enough to be Safe Out There. When we go I leave GPS points with my family and are routes we plan to take with departing and arrivel times. And of couse the life line Cell Phone that works just about everywhere out there is helpful but when you add all of it up, your still in the middle of nowhere. And then on top of all that a freind brings up a web site he visited with info about "The Secrets of Mojave" and now we have some good campfire story's to tell. BE SAFE and BE AWARE.

yup - very true...but then again half the fun of exploring the mines is the danger present..if they were just commericialized disney mine rides they wouldnt be much fun....all adventure has to have an element of danger
Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
yup - very true...but then again half the fun of exploring the mines is the danger present..if they were just commericialized disney mine rides they wouldnt be much fun....all adventure has to have an element of danger
You said it, It's what keeps us going back for more and there's nothin like it and Disney Land try's to copy it, and you have to have the will to go out and explore in the desert sun (can't wait till Oct.).
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM

Scott sounds like it was a good trip and the area is fairly close to the "good" mines i mentioned earlier. Hopefully I can the Sept. trip!

Dennis
Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

I second and third the safety comments... I was in no way implying that I'd "throw a rope down a shaft and banzai down it"...but there is something very cool about going down in there. You just have to follow your instincts...if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. There is a lot of danger, but you can minimize it by taking the extra precautions.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

I don't mind a little craziness, but I get claustiphobic(?) and my pops said he had nightmares about me being buried, I just stay out now. I'll handle all the stuff topside!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
I don't mind a little craziness, but I get claustiphobic(?) and my pops said he had nightmares about me being buried, I just stay out now. I'll handle all the stuff topside!
You sissy...J/K.. 5.8 underground has got to be like 5.14 up top!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Scott you need to setup a website that chronicles these trips...kind of something like BajaTaco has.

Quick Reply: Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.