Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Compass Creek
Scott sounds like it was a good trip and the area is fairly close to the "good" mines i mentioned earlier. Hopefully I can the Sept. trip!

Dennis
Yeah, Come on out, The more people the better and safer it is, The more eyes looking over a mountain side helps. Last weekends trip some of our crew spotted mines that weren't on any maps and they turned out to be worth exploring. I noted them on my GPS as Noname Mines so we can find them again. Let me know what weekends are good for you and will try and hook up. Scott
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvnonamemine04.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvnonamemine10.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvnonamemine14.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 09-01-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I second and third the safety comments... I was in no way implying that I'd "throw a rope down a shaft and banzai down it"...but there is something very cool about going down in there. You just have to follow your instincts...if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. There is a lot of danger, but you can minimize it by taking the extra precautions.
Yeah you got that right.. Just like the New Era Mine, I got a feeling it was time to get out so I did. Last night a freind of mine was reading this thead and he reminded me of a trip where I went down a shaft with no rope and a old wooden ladder that had been there for a Hundred+ years and it was one of the better mines I've been in. And I can't really say I won't go down again because if I had the right equipment and all the gear I could see myself going in, but that stuff is so darn expensive that I'm not willing to spend the funds on it yet when gas for these trips might be a bigger expence in the near future. Lotto anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvnewera18.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvcrew.jpg  
Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
I don't mind a little craziness, but I get claustiphobic(?) and my pops said he had nightmares about me being buried, I just stay out now. I'll handle all the stuff topside!
I probroly should mention your not alone. A few people that come out with me never go into the mines they fell better hunting around top-side where sometimes there can be more to see and find like a nugget they found why they walked along a wash outside a mine. And of course the camping and off roading, That's the biggest reason to go.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Scott you need to setup a website that chronicles these trips...kind of something like BajaTaco has.
Yeah I keep looking at my Dream Weaver web-site builder cd but I spend to much time working, and the Kids needs don't allow to much free time and as I'am writing this my girlfreind is complaning I spend to much time on the computer and working on my 4Runner, but she knows where the door is and can use it anytime (it's a good thing she dosen't read this or go mine hunting). Some day soon though am going to build a site.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down for sometime in November!!! I can also get you a disk of Dreamweaver/Fireworks if you'd like... for archiving purposes of course!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I'm down for sometime in November!!! I can also get you a disk of Dreamweaver/Fireworks if you'd like... for archiving purposes of course!
We'll be looking for you in November. Thanks for the sticker's ,they made my 4Runner Faster and with better gas Milage and the paint looks better. I would recommend to everyone.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Vulcan Mine

The Vulcan Mine was also a large area. The tunnel mine had a Large living type room with shag carpet. A few big Black Widows guarded the entrance but once you got pass them there was no sign of life. This mine went in about 100 feet then split off, one of the tunnels had a cave-in so we didn't go much further in. This mine was also very wet with moisture which made me think it wasn't a good idea to stay in for very long. This is another one we'll come back to with more time to explore' appearently there is a large pond or small lake just above it and a couple more tunnel mines.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvvolcmine08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvvolcmine12.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 09-06-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM

Okay, This weekend we will be headed to south Mojave to the Dale District. After some of the mine hunting crew came on here and read the posting by CampusCreek about this area we decided to head there and it seems closer to us, so less gas to be consumed. Where headed out Friday nite if any of you want to join us. Just let me know with a Private Message and I get you the info. Scott
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM

We will be doing a trip to the north part of Mojave in a couple of weeks. We are going to the Columbia mine area just east of Tecopa.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

How far is that from the Ventura County area? I'm in a town called Newbury Park.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Roughly about 175 miles, ErikJeanna.

Scott have you picked a spot to camp yet? I'll check with work tomorrow and see if I can make it. There is plenty to see out there, thats for sure!

Dennis
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

I might be able to meet you on Sat morning... but a night with me away while caring for a newborn is just plain cruel and unusual punishment for my wife. So I would have to leave bright and early come morning. What are the dates for this trip? Anything concrete yet?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Roughly about 175 miles, ErikJeanna.

Scott have you picked a spot to camp yet? I'll check with work tomorrow and see if I can make it. There is plenty to see out there, thats for sure!

Dennis
I'm not sure on a camp spot so if you have some ideas let me know. Usally I try and camp in a flat sandy area that's good for the guy's that have tent's. I thinking some place off Gold Crown Road. Scott
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 PM

I might be able to meet you on Sat morning... but a night with me away while caring for a newborn is just plain cruel and unusual punishment for my wife. So I would have to leave bright and early come morning. What are the dates for this trip? Anything concrete yet?
The 10th and Nothing totally concrete yet. Saturday morning sounds good to me too. This area is only about 80 miles from me so an early start would work. The crew that I go with are pretty open also,and even if some of them wanted to go Friday night we would still be there by the time they got up Saturday (late Sleepers).
Coloumbia Mine trip will be Sept. 23rd
Old 09-08-2005, 03:08 PM

I be there early Saturday for the day. I emailed you cords for a camp spot.

Dennis
Old 09-08-2005, 05:12 PM

I be there early Saturday for the day. I emailed you cords for a camp spot.

Dennis
Alright, We'll see'ya out there. I'm in for the all day Saturday deal. Scott
Old 09-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Good run today!

Here are a few pictures from todays exploring. http://community.webshots.com/album/447882685HqOJNQ
Checked out a few good mines and did some serious wheeling!

Dennis
Old 09-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

SCOTTZ - where did you get your front bumper and how much was it?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 AM

SCOTTZ - where did you get your front bumper and how much was it?
I just build them myself, I sell them for a Cost of about $400. I recently added tow bar mounts for pulling behind my RV. Fell free to copy it and if you need some more pic's let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-frontbmpr.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Dale District

This area has alot of History, The 49'ers came from this area and the area had alot of hay day's. We did alot of wheelin, and the roads are washed out so lots of ground clearance is needed, and it's a good idea to add more time for exploring. Most of these mines operated until the 1940's and are largly pit mines.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines112.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines117.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines120.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.