Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o you plan on hitting up the Saline Valley anytime soon? That's one I REALLY want to do... gotta go to Racetrack and check out those rocks.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, We plan to get to the northern part of Death Valley by end of November. The Race Track is one of those strange places on top of a mountain range. The Lake bed floor doesn't look like any dry lake I've ever seen and they still don't know what caused the rocks to move hundreds of feet in many different directions. There's also Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater and a few good mines to check out while in the area.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-movnrocks08.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-craterdeathdly05.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-aguberrypoint9.jpg  
Old 10-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah... lovin' those pics! I'm DEFINATELY in when that time comes. I'll be bringing my 13 year old and maybe one of her friends as well. If anyone else has any little rugrats around that age, maybe you can bring them as well.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scottz
Yeah, We plan to get to the northern part of Death Valley by end of November. The Race Track is one of those strange places on top of a mountain range. The Lake bed floor doesn't look like any dry lake I've ever seen and they still don't know what caused the rocks to move hundreds of feet in many different directions. There's also Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater and a few good mines to check out while in the area.
If you are going to spend the day in that area check out the drive down Titus canyon. It is not wheeling, but a fun drive down a tight canyon, with lots of interesting rock formations. The Death Valley visitors center can tell you how to get there if you have not been.

Another good place to check out, if you are camping, is Wildrose Canyon, it is between Death valley and the Panamint Valley. It is at a higher elevation, and up out of the heat. There are many mines to be found up in those mountains, on the way from the floor of death valley to Wildrose.

Check out Aguereberry Point too, great view, and a few mines on the way there from the paved road.

Last edited by Cedarbarn; 10-03-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM

Yeah, Titus Cayon is really something to see and the ghost town of Rhyolite is a must. And the roads are pretty smooth, one time I had a friend follow me through Titus in his mini van rental, and he had no problems with it. Wild Rose is something I would like to see more of , and the Chloride cliffs would be a nice stop.

Here's some of last years pic's.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-titusleadfield019.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-tituscyn028.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-rhyoliteghsttn012.jpg  
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

You're not planning on running Thanksgiving weekend are you? You mentioned ;ate November... just wondering when this trip is gonna happen.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

dam im so jealous of you guys, i've always wanted to go and drive around down there. Great pics, those movin rocks are cool.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a week long trip to Death Valley and beyond a couple years ago . . . . just me, my truck, and my bike. I drove north from the 395 to Trona to Mahogany Flat then on up Emigrant Canyon Road to the Emigrant campground. I unloaded the bike along the way to ride to Augesomething Point and Skidoo. Next I took the bike to Chloride Cliff then on to Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon. The third and fourth trips were based out of Mesquite Spring campground. I rode the bike from Ubehebe to Teakettle Junction where I went south then southwest up over the mountains and back southeast to Panamint Springs then back to Emigrant and a street ride back to Mesquite Springs. Day four went back to Teakettle Junction then on to the Racetrack and a right turn down the Lippencott trail to the Saline Valley north. I took a right turn going northeast. I visited the hot springs and went up over the pass and down to the Eureka Dunes. I continued north across the highway coming in to DV from the north and looked for a dirt path that would bring me back down from the north east into DV to no avail . . . . so, the last bit of the ride was street to round out a 180+ mile day. My last full day in the valley I rode Cottonwood canyon till I couldn't go any further (nice spring at the end). I packed up the bike on the truck and drove up trail canyon till I found a secluded alcove with vertical rock walls and camped. The next morning I rode to the top of Trail Canyon. From there the adventure moved east into the Amargosa Valley and beyond . . . . I've left out a whole lot of details. But, it was a great time and I'd love to go back and share some of the beauty I saw there with my wife . . . . . and some YotaTech friends!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 AM

Hey Scott, where did you get those fender flares? are they just cut down or are they fiberglass?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:30 PM

Right now we have planed the northern part of Death Valley trip for the first weekend of November 4-6.

Are next trip is to the lower part of Death Valley in the Mojave Tecopa Area. The dates are floating between the weekends of Oct. 15 or 22 so if anyone has some input here it would help.

SnorkelDepth, That's the kinda trip I would enjoy doing, The weekend trips go by so fast that you just leaving with a will to stay longer, someday I plan to take my motorhome and park it in the middle of Death Valley at Stove Pipe Wells and use it as a main pit and go on shorter day & nite trips around there.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-scottycas09.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-monumentrd02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-scottyscstl014.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 10-05-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Racer944
Hey Scott, where did you get those fender flares? are they just cut down or are they fiberglass?
The front's are fiberglass and the rear is just cut.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Which weekend is the Saline Valley run?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Next Mojave trip to the Columbia Mine area will be next weekend on the 15th of Oct.
Then we will being going next to the north part of Death Valley (Saline Valley area) on Nov 4th to 6th.

Last weekend we went to the Johnson Valley area to test our race truck and I got some free time out there to do some recon for a future Mine Hunting trips to this area. I ploted out about 7 mines to see.

More moving rocks

Last edited by Scottz; 10-08-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Here's some pic's of some Natrual Caves we have come acoss in the Mojave.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Moving rocks is on Nov 4-6? I would be interested in that trip, but can't go for several days at a time because the baby is still a newborn. I can go for a full day and maybe overnight, but not the whole weekend. How long do you go for and what would the itinerary be for the trip?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:43 PM

ErikJeanna, Yeah your never that far from a hiway to get there or back if you gotta split early or arrive late. Right now where going to met up in Stovepipe Wells on Friday 4th.

More pic's
Oh yeah, did I mention the Race Track is like being on another planet!

Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

How far is it to Stovepipe Wells? I live in Newbury Park (91320) and to Death Valley is somewhere between 230 miles (Yahoo Maps) and 330 miles (Mapquest). So, based on your experience, how far is it? I'm about 40 minutes north of L.A. Where are you guys located? How long is the drive for you all?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
How far is it to Stovepipe Wells? I live in Newbury Park (91320) and to Death Valley is somewhere between 230 miles (Yahoo Maps) and 330 miles (Mapquest). So, based on your experience, how far is it? I'm about 40 minutes north of L.A. Where are you guys located? How long is the drive for you all?
I show it's about 233 miles from Newbury and it's 241 miles for me in Temecula. Some of the gang come out from Long Beach area and it's about the same for them. Scott
Pic's of last weekend race truck testing.

Johnson Valley, The Wall

One time only

Last edited by Scottz; 10-11-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottz
How'd she hold up?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM

No problems, The thing seems bullet proof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.