Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

how much is this toy worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much is this toy worth?

It's a 95 sr5 ext. cab with 210,000 miles. 5 speed 3vze v6 3.o, 2 inch pro comp lift with 33 Mickey Thompsons tires. Replaced the master and the slave cylinders clutch lines, power steering, alternator, valve cover gaskets, put in bucket seats, fab up rear bumper.

how much is this toy worth?-forumrunner_20141206_163657.png

how much is this toy worth?-forumrunner_20141206_163707.png

how much is this toy worth?-forumrunner_20141206_163728.png

OK soooooo here's the kicker. Lost major power! Won't even climb a hill in 4th gear. Thought I would start with changing plugs and wires. Then the starter went out. Took it to the Toyota dealer in town and they told me I have a blown head gasket, that it would cost around 2 grand to fix. The mechanic told me he was interested in buying it from but said my truck isn't worth no more than 50 bucks because they don't know if the engine is worth fixing or not. I said but good enough for you to charge me 2 grand to find out! Any ways, I'd like to get out from underneath it but I feel $2500.00 is a good starting point. Others are saying if I can get 1500.00 to take it and run. What you guys think. Am I being stubborn in not wanting to give my baby away?

how much is this toy worth?-forumrunner_20141206_163738.png

how much is this toy worth?-forumrunner_20141206_163748.png
Old 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First check to see if the head gasket recall has been done by toyota, a friend just recently got a new long block under warranty.
Toyota website has information by vin whether it is eligible or it has already been done.
If not a rebuilt 3.0 with warranty is around two grand.
OR 3.4 swap time.

Either way fix it or Throw a motor in that puppy and keep on truckin...

Last edited by donomite49; 12-06-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't expect more than 1500 out of it with the bad engine.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:48 PM

They told me at the shop it isn't up for a recall. But I did run it myself just 10 minutes ago and it said I do qualify. What you think that's about? I did have a guy offer me 1500.00 I was firm at 2000.00 but as always I'm 2nd guessing myself. But now this recall thing has got me very curious. Kinda making me think that my local shop is trying to pull a fast one
Old 12-06-2014, 03:59 PM

You very well may need a head gasket, I don't know. I have rebuilt 20+ engines that lose power, particularly on hills. As a matter of fact I personally just experienced this in my own truck which is what led to my Toyota ownership. If you haven't checked oil pressure I would do so. Often when a bearing spins it will produce a low end knock, but in cases like my own the lack of power lasted at least two weeks before I was able to detect the slightest noise. I immediately opened it up to find shredded rod and main bearings. It happened slowly with no noise due to the coupler on the oil pump drive breaking loose and slowly shredding the bearings. Honestly, imho if you aren't willing to put a new motor in it I would take $1500 in a heartbeat. That being said, I wouldn't take any less either if the rest of the truck is in good condition. And for good measure I would kick that Toyota mechanic who made the ridiculous offer rights in the goods. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Lol I wanted to kick him when he made the comment! I'm for sure not going to put a new engine in or try to rebuild this one. All that is way over my mechanical and tools ability. Not to mention my sanity or my marriage. This is weighing enough on all that lol. Now that you mention it, I do have a knock going on. It's the same passenger side as the head gasket. I just figured it's a lifter. I knew I had a oil leak from the valve covers I changed the driver side but left the passenger side till I was brave enough to mess with all the vacuum lines. I've tried looking to see where the head is leaking and all I can see is the valve cover but that wouldn't explain the lost of power or white smoke or where my anti freeze is going.......... the more I right and think about this the more I'm craving a beer lol
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recall or warranty is free or a few bucks, selling at a loss is well, a loss...

How about trying another dealer for an honest person.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Hey Wally, didn't realize you had white smoke as well. That is almost always coolant burning off due to either a bad head gasket, cracked head or cracked block near coolant passages. I don't know about where you are in Nebraska, but around here there is no shortage of people who could competently repair your engine, especially if it's a gasket and cut that bill in more than half. Ask around if repairing at some expense is in the budget. You may get lucky. If you spent $500 to repair the head gasket you might not need anything major for another 200K. Just a thought. just keep in mind though it still may be cracked head or block. The power loss you describe makes me think it may be the head or block and not the gasket alone. I guess you won't know until you have someone open it up. Hope it works out somehow for you.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I disagree with some of the post. A broken truck is broken truck. I see guys post them on craigslist all the time, especially 3.0 (no pun). After all these guys expect I'll (or anyone else) is willing to take their word that the rest of the truck is in perfect running. That's asking alot of trust from a stranger. Too easy for parts to be swapped out to paint a different story of truck life and care.

I really see it two ways:
1) fix truck and sale at market price
2) cut your losses and sale at a loss

Really I'm leery of a swapped or rebuilt engines unless I know the builder. Simply all mechanics/engine rebuild are not created the same. I've purchased a rebuilt short blocks from an engine builder that didn't last 20,000 miles before it spun a bearing.

Just my honest opinion.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 AM

Alot of good points being made. But yes I've decided to cut my loss and actually sold the truck this weekend for 1500 bucks. 1000 less than I bought it for. The dude who bought it didn't care if it ran or not he said he's shipping it Guatemala. If I was to keep the truck and start throwing money into the engine I was afraid of what else was gonna go wrong. There defently is a point when you are spending more money than what the truck is worth. And I feel like I was there. Thanks for the advice and all the info one thing is for sure I'll have another Toyota in the near future.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 AM

Congrats on sale. Maybe I'm being to stunch. Tired, grumpy, and nicotine withdraw.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM

Lol nope. Everything you said was what I was thinking! You just wrote it better and purdier lol. I understand the nicotine withdraws also. It's been over 2 1/2 years for me since my last dip of grizzly and for some reason my urges are worse then they ever been. It couldn't be the stress lol
Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Wally, congrats on sale. Wish we lived a bit closer. I'm hooked and love to have a Yota pickup to throw a v6 in. Muddpigg, I don't think you are being too staunch or harsh. I think everyone was trying to say what you were. We just didn't articulate as well or make it as succinct. Good luck with the Nicotine detox. I think I'd rather come off heroin than Nicotine. Particularly this time of year.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I just erased everything I just wrote!!!

Changing subject, have seen lot's of older SFA rigs for sale on craigslist with good prices.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Im facing this choice myself with my 1990 4x4 xtracab sr5... But I fell in love with this truck on the car carrier and owned it before it hit the dealers lot.. Orig owner 25 years, kids grew up in it, selling it off for 1,500 is really going to hurt.. I still have every reciept including its window sticker... my v6 blew its headgasket at 70k which an independent shop rebuilt the top end. 6 months later i head of the headgasket program and toyota reimburesed me the entire cost... Now its at 152k and ive got water leaking out from between head and block (pitting most likely) and I can't afford to fix it and worse am in a hard bind to get rentpaid... so its sell my baby,my beloved truck or get evicted.... Ive had people knocking on my door for years wanting it and ialways just laughed knowing id never sell it.... dang, its like loosing a part of my soul.... best vehicle ive ever owned... sure going to miss it