General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whelen SlimLighter TIR6 LED Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelen SlimLighter TIR6 LED Light

Hey all,

Not sure how many of you are in the EMS world but I have a product I thought I'd share/recommend.

It's the Whelen SlimLighter TIR6 Super-LED Light

This model can be used for Fire/Medical/Police response. These are the brightest, most effective LED's I have ever seen. I did a lot of research on them before I bought and these turned up in every comparison I did.

They are pricey however. Thankfully, the double-red setup I got did not require any additional costs.
They have several different color combinations available. The legality of certain colors varies from state to state, be sure to check before purchasing one.

The windshield mount is SOLID. The suction cups have never fallen off, even when left in the sun on a 92* day.

I mainly use these for visibility when on scene at an MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident). I use them when en route to a call only when I am responding on behalf of my volunteer department. I will occasionally use them upon witnessing an accident in order to move through traffic more quickly. They are surprisingly effective in getting other motorists attention - even without a siren.

This is quite a large light bar however, I would measure carefully before you buy.
I have mine tucked up above my rear view mirror and I will also occasionally tuck it underneath the rear view, both spots conceal it well however still promote good visibility.

Now that I have these up front, I'm looking for something to put in my rear window(s). They have some smaller suction-cup mounted LED lights that would fit perfectly but they are quite pricey. One thing about rear mounted lights - do NOT use red. Red has been shown to mesmerize motorists who are behind you. Use either white or amber.

Like this one

I'm wanting these to be as removeable and non-invasive as possible so that will be the determining factor.

Post up with any questions, I just wanted to give a small review and my opinions on it in case anybody else was in the market for this type of stuff.

I know 4x4Lamm has the SlimLighter too and as far as I know, he likes his as much as I do.

Thanks,

Fink

These do not permit the operator of the vehicle to violate any of the posted speed limits or other posted traffic guidelines/laws. Please check your local State/County laws before purchasing or installing any emergency lights.

Last edited by Fink; 06-30-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too many LED lightbars out there are priced any lower. Most of Gall's stuff is similarly priced. $208 is not a bad deal for a slim bar like that.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

That is true, but to people who don't know much about this stuff...$208 might seem like a lot.

Finik
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
200 for that??? Shoot, the strobe bars for the towtruck are 500 and up for something good and the older lightbar on my light service van is like 800 bucks!

When I was a volunteer FF I had a custom LED setup in the grill, works superbly and people really get out of the way.

Last edited by CJM; 06-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

I guess it's not that bad then!

I am eventually going to add concealed white/red lights behind the grill as well as a siren but for now, this is enough and it works well.

I've thought about doing a strobe kit but I'd like to stay away from having to do any cutting/drilling/splicing of the stock stuff for now.

Fink
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Still running the same SlimLighter?