General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to swap in DEFROSTER rear window - 1st-gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to swap in DEFROSTER rear window - 1st-gen 4Runner

So last winter during cold snow or icy days the rear window on my 1989 (first gen) 4runner would get icy and it wouldn't roll down. I have a DLX so there's no electric defroster. Even scraping the whole window doesn't help because the ice gets in the channels on the topper. This me off when I'm trying to load gear in the back to go snowboarding.

Can an SR5 rear window with defroster elements be swapped in? I'm sure I could find a donor vehicle but I wanted to know what all I needed to scab to make it work... Window, switch, wiring harness at least. Is there a special relay or is my power window relay set up for defrost and just left unhooked? Is there another relay altogether? Anything else to know before I attempt this? Where is the defroster switch on the first gens, I'm wonder if I have the switch location already.

TIA
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may consider getting an aftermarket kit like jc Whitney sells. I have a 90 4 runner, and defroster or not, once it's cold enough my back window will refuse to go down. A defroster won't help defrost the channel/window tracks.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM

I found a place called Frost Fighter that sells aftermarket glue-on defrosters but their FAQ says they won't work with roll down windows.

How does the 4Runner defroster connect to the window? No clip that sticks out I guess?

Last edited by derockus; 08-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The electrical connection is on the bottom of the glass .

A spade terminal connector..

The rear window defroster is a circuit on it`s own it is not tied into the window .

Other then the physical aspect of being attached to the window.

Do you spray silicone on the rubber gaskets very seldom does mine freeze and when it does as soon as I run the heater it thaws granted not the below zero temps of the north.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
JFW

Yeah, I want to do this too! Anybody have experience with this to lend us?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of all the kits I've seen and used on other vehicles, they all had adhesive backed wire/grid. The hardest part for me on the application to the rear window, was getting that booger on straight, and not kinking it up. I suck at applying window tint, so applying the defroster grid was a gimme that i'd muss it up a few times. Compared to running the wires that's the hardest part i'd say. The kits I used had a timer built into them, and no relay was required, it was a few wires, the timer, and the switch. The timer was already wired in, and was adjustable for how many minutes you needed it on usually from 2-7 minutes.