General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light fuse keeps blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light fuse keeps blowing out

My 2002 Tacoma 4x4 keeps blowing tail fuses.......My brother spliced in a rear light he put on the back of the truck into the ignition wire. And also wired a back up camera. This is when the problems started.

He said the power wire is getting ground somewhere and that is why the fuses are blowing out. I figure it is probably something he did as far as the wiring and suggest puting things back the way they were?

Any suggestions?
thanks
Bill
Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, go to the back of the truck and look up under at the wiring. If there are any splices into the wires running into the rear light assembly(s), disconnect the spliced wire.

Replace fuse, if it does not blow, keep replacing splices until it does, then you'll know your problem. I'm betting when he spliced into the backup light for the backup camera he didn't insulate the wire enough and its grounding out. Just my $.02
Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 PM

The IGN wire shouldnt have anything to do with your problem. But as stated it is something that is due to the wiring of the backup camera. How is that wired in? Explain that setup a bit more. Im assuming he may have tapped into the wire for the tail light to charge a relay to turn on the backup camera for when the tail lights are turned on?

Last edited by Godzilla; 11-23-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks, it is the running lights fuse that keeps blowing out.

My brother took out the splice in the ignition switch and insultated the connection. He was not sure which wire it was, just that it was hot only when the ignition was turned on. This was where he had spliced the wire running from the ignition all the way back to the rear flood light. So, now that connection is soldered and insulated.

As far as the backup camera he spliced into the backup wires in the rear tail light, the backup light wires. He also took out that splice and insulated it.

My brother says the positive wire for the running lights is grounding out and blowing the fuse.

He did also replace my antenna, so he might have moved some wires on the passenger side of the truck.

He got it all put back together and the running lights wire is still grounded and blowing out fuses?

Thanks for any suggestions
Bill

Last edited by Billinsd; 11-24-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the truck and remove all the lights that normally come on when your parking lights are on. (side clearance, parking lamps, taillights, etc.). Then replace fuse and turn the lights on. If it still blows we have a wiring problem. If ti doesen't replace each bulb until it blows. It may end up being (like mine), water trapped behind one of the bulbs, causing it to short out.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM

Rowdy235, thanks. My brother gave up, so I am going to take it into a shop on Monday. I made a huge mistake, fooling with the truck or letting my brother do something.

I have a big hunting trip I am leaving for this Thursday and I cannot drive my truck. I'll have to limp along in my Honda.

Maybe the shop I like can get the truck fixed in time, anyway lesson learned, do not perform acessory wiring work on a truck shortly before a once in a lifetime desert bighorn sheep hunt!!!!

Thanks again
Bill
Old 11-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have the tow package? It could be a short in the tow harness. This was happening to me and it was a short near my 4flat connector.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Yes, I do have the tow package, but it is aftermarket. I'm taking the truck into my favorite shop.

Thanks for your help all.
Bill
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Tail fuse

I stumpled upon this post while doing a google search. I have the same issue. To make a long story short, my ground from the trailer hitch was cut fairly close to the bolt where its attached. What I did at the time was used electrical tape to reconnect the ground. It seemed to work fine for a year or so before I notied issues with my Prodigy controller when my trailer was hooked up. It would itermittently read no connect or connect when I'm pulling the trailer.

My question is could a poor ground connection from the trailer hitch lead to a blown fuse? I will be re-doing the ground again forsure but thought I could get some input on this.

Where is the fuse to the hitch that I can disconnect to see if the hitch connection is the culprit? I see what looks to be a relay box with wire coming in/out but it doesn't seem to open. Then there is another connection close to the hitch that looks like you could disconnect. Is that were the fuse is? I may take pictures and post to help explain myself if this isn't clear enough.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Every story I have heard bring about the same culprit: Trailer wiring. There should be an inline fuse under the hood if it was wired correctly in the first place.

A loose/bad ground will cause the lights to flicker as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Every story I have heard bring about the same culprit: Trailer wiring. There should be an inline fuse under the hood if it was wired correctly in the first place.

A loose/bad ground will cause the lights to flicker as well.
The trailer wiring was proffesionally done..but I cut the ground. As I said, long story on why I did it..but none the less.

So what does this inline fuse look like? where would it be placed? Should it be labeled 'trailer....prodigy'...??
Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 PM

would this be the fuse? I tracked the wiring from the brake controller and didn't see anything inside the engine. Saw this at the rear near the trailer hookup.

Also saw this box but there is no way to open it.

Wires seem to be good all around.

Last edited by klam; 03-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Staff

That is the connector for the lights, the brakes are all the loose wires around it.

Doesn't look super professional...but I digress. The ground HAS to be hooked up, or nothing is going to work right. At that point, its merely grounding through the hitch ball with has pretty poor connectivity.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Don't freak out. This picture shows where the ground was cut. I had electrical tape over this. It will be redone. At this point, I'm hoping this is the culprit to the blown fuse.

If I disconnect the Prodigy brake controller from its connectors, would this be the same as disconnecting the trailer hookup? Again, just wanting to test the circuitry.

Last edited by klam; 03-21-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Staff

I would try that. Eliminate the controller/wiring as the possible culprit, and go from there. Test one circuit at a time basically. That ground is in pretty poor shape.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Staff

Btw, this problem can also be caused by a failed converter box (your second pic, in your hand, above) Both my Boss and Vital22RE have had similar problems. Vitaly kept blowing fuses, whereas my boss just lost use of turn signals and brake lights.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

When the problem started (last wknd) it blew a few fuses..not just brake. Maybe because we were on a road trip and keep driving. Lost dash lights, interior lights, and head lights. Think we blew 3-4 fuses total. Maybe the load was spreading to other fuses and thats why they went.

When I 1st replace the fuses I got about 30 miles worth of driving before the tail fuses went..haven't driven it since.

I will disconnect the prodigy and try it with the new fuses to see if the wiring for the trailer is the issue. Will also fix the ground in the meantime.

That box that I'm holding in my hand in the 2nd picture, is there anyway to test it? There is a lifetime warranty on the installation and parts so I could bring it to the installer this wknd.

thks for your comments
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM

I traced the connection/wires coming from the Prodigy controller into the truck's firewall and under the engine leading to the underside of the truck to the back. I couldn't see anything that may contain a fuse??

Anyways, the wiring appears to be intact and no signs of any bare wire shorting. I also had a look at one of the tail light wiring and everything checks out there too.

I also re-grouned the trailer now so it should have a solid ground. Put new fuses (2x10amp for brake light) in and went for a 5mi test drive. So far so good. I should have driven longer, but didn't have time because the fuse was blowing after 30mi give or take.

In doing some research, trailer hitch installation/wiring seems to be the main issue with brake light fuse failure.

I'm hoping its just a bad ground that I had that was causing all the fuss.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM

wondering ...I think I have the same on to sequoia of my GF ... fuse blowing ...only tail lights ... I will do some inspection this weekend .. and start with wires in rear ... one site stated something about bulbs being old with moisture and bad connection and that fixed the issue ... hoping for best ... any new hints let me know! thanks this thread seems pretty helpful