General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I drew a diagram of what is happening with the stock plug (seems to be working it is should in the picture I drew)

* disclaimer my electronic language is not where it should be so hopefully you understand *

this to me would indicate no issues with the switch

toyota runs one hot and two grounds so it’s activated by a ground not a hot which seems to be why it is so complicated to upgrade to LED light says they will not function with one live and activated by negative

the second picture is how I have it wired. When I turn on the high beam out of the “30” post on the relay I get the “1” not 12+”

im going to look it it tomorrow again and see if I’m missing something. I’m almost at the point of a switch wired in for high beams !

Last edited by Jon Toreau; 10-30-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten Toyotas propensity for switching grounds, not hot. I'm just too used to American electronics. Westinghouse in particular. At least we could always tell what the trouble was with Westinghouse equipment. It was the white wire. Since that's all they use, it's a pretty good bet
Sorry about that.

Anywho, did the LED bulbs come with a wiring diagram they want you to use? How about the harness you bought. Did it come with a diagram, or instructions?
I understand how you wired things up, but something isn't right. The way I read it, for what it's worth, 85 from the relay should go straight to ground, not to the original plug. You need a hot and ground for a relay to activate. I don't see a ground for the relay's coil. Or, knowing Toyota's ground switching habit, it has 2 grounds, and no hot. One of the two. Does that make sense?
Perhaps the hot that fed the original harness was constant, in keeping with Toyota's habit of switching grounds, and the switch switched ground in or out for the two beams.
The LED most likely wants a constant ground, and to switch the hot in or out for the two beams. Backwards from Toyota's method. The relay, I believe, should accomplish the reversal, IF it's wired right. That's why I was looking for instructions, wiring diagrams, something, that shows how the LED company want's things done.
I'll look around a bit, and see if I can find something on-line that describes this system. I presume the part number on your diagram is for the relay? Or is it for the LED system?

Sometimes, also, LED systems require a resistor to be put in-line to keep the current down. LED's can't take too much current. We'll get to that whole affair once we get the LED lighting up correctly.

I'll get back as soon as I can find a schematic for the LED system you got.
Pat☺
EDIT: BTW, It might be very helpful to know what year your truck is. Engine model, like 22RE, or whatever, any other information that may help. The more info we have, the more help we can be for you...

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 10-31-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:56 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I found THIS on the net.
I think it may help you out, I hope.

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺
Old 11-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
another reason i loved the Trucklite LED's i had in my 81. More expensive but they were plug and play. I would have used them in my 94 but didn't want to swap the core support out. They plugged right in and worked fun when i had the front end pulled apart.
I don't trust some of the deals you find on Amazon or Ebay.

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
I found THIS on the net.
I think it may help you out, I hope.

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺
Roger at 4Crawler makes a nice harness and has great trouble shooting stuff

Last edited by dropzone; 11-01-2021 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2ToyGuy (11-06-2021)