General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

efi fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
efi fuse blowing

Hi guys, gotta 1986 toyota 4x4 22re pick up and I was driving to work, went over some RR tracks and next thing I know, my engine started to bog down.. I tried giving it gas, but it wouldn't accelerate, so I had to roll to a parking lot that was near by. As soon as I came to a stop, it died, and wouldn't start again. I found the EFI fuse was blown so I tried replacing it, but the fuse just blew again. I would appreciate any help, THANKS!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 AM

had the exact same problem. My o2 sensor wire under the driver side had fallen and made contact with the exhaust. I zip tied it off and away from the exhaust and that fixed the problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem with my '85 Runner.
Mine was a short due to a leak from the driver side fender well after the fenders had been trimmed by the PO.

You've got a short somewhere...fun part will be finding it.

Fink
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_petersen77
had the exact same problem. My o2 sensor wire under the driver side had fallen and made contact with the exhaust. I zip tied it off and away from the exhaust and that fixed the problem.
Yep, common problem with the O2 sensor wiring hitting the hot exhaust.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks, but I traced the o2 sensor, and it didnt come near the exhaust. I ended up lifting my bed and found that I am not recieving electrical power to the fuel pump. Any other suggestions? It's appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Same problem here with my 87 runner, checked all my wiring for continuity and replaced the efi relay on the driver kickpanel and all my others are good
Old 04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rusted Rooster
Thanks, but I traced the o2 sensor, and it didnt come near the exhaust. I ended up lifting my bed and found that I am not recieving electrical power to the fuel pump. Any other suggestions? It's appreciated, thanks!
So your EFI fuse is blowing and you're not receiving power to your fuel pump? Two separate issues then?

Fink
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM

I think they are tied together. i can run my fuel pump separately by jumping it but mine still wouldnt start. just gonna have to start checking grounds and pulling some of my harness back and maybe ill get lucky
Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dasrunner
I think they are tied together. i can run my fuel pump separately by jumping it but mine still wouldnt start. just gonna have to start checking grounds and pulling some of my harness back and maybe ill get lucky
Sounds like a plan, good luck.

Fink
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Same thing happened to me driving across the country it died right in the middle of a bridge we almost got killed by a semi. we spent 2 days in some back woods town with a mech that knew nothing just started replacing stuff. After a new fuel pump and a distributor finally another mech came in a changed the fuse. started up and made it another 50 miles . My wife was freaking out so once again on the side of the road i looked it up on here and found the problem it was the o2 plug melted to the exhaust. So thanks guys it cost me 680$ at the shop to not fix anything and it took me 20 min and 4 wire connectors to fix it the right way. Thanks to the guys on here..
Oh yeah the tow truck took us to a only change shop!!! you can read the whole story on my blog
www.scottmarvin.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Wo smarvin, that would suck! Glad you and yours made it through unharmed.

After I found out on here what the problem was, I always check my fuses and wiring when I have a problem first. It's usually cheap and easy and can fix your problem (barring any SERIOUS engine damage).
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM

So upon more reading of the haynes manual, it says there is a fusible link inline. But where?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If that is blown, the blown EFI fuse will be the least of your worries (it feeds power to almost everything):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...roubleshooting
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump

Basically, you want to follow the circuits/devices fed from the EFI fuse and see which of those is causing the high current (blowing the fuse). Things that feed power to that fuse are not the problem, it is what that fuse feeds that can cause the problem.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-06-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dasrunner
So upon more reading of the haynes manual, it says there is a fusible link inline. But where?
I think that is the large fuse in the engine compartment fuse box that actually bolts in with the clear top.

Should look like this if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Name:  85_Runner_80A_fuse_4.jpg
Views: 12426
Size:  53.5 KB

Fink
Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM

well after looking at wires most the night and being cross eyed now, somehow i jarred something loose to where when i try to start my runner it will turn over without blowing the fuse. it will even idle briefly. gonna replace the opening circuit tommorow and see what happens (I can get good readings on the test but when it says to check for the infinity resistance on ohms it shows nothing now)
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

What about you Rooster? Any luck?

Fink
Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM

hey guy, gonna try those 2 relays behind drivers side kickboard, on main fuse box theres 2 metal ones,, hope so
Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Right now just trying to get elec power to fuel pump , i can start her with start fluid but fuel pump not working,positive wire rusted off top of fuel pump bracket, thinking i found the prob.....not put test light on pos fuel pump wire no power to it? all fuses ok gonna try those relays.... keep posts coming guys..thanks, Rusted Rooster.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM

yes did have key on, checking for power to fuel pump.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 AM

what i did was i hooked my test light up to the open circuit relay on the passenger kick board. when your cranking your truck the light should light up thus resulting in power to the fuel pump. thats what i found out last night. Also does it take a lot of trys to get your starter to engage? im not popping fuses anymore but the starter takes forever to engage it just clicks, i have to put it in 5th and rock it then try to start it?

Quick Reply: efi fuse blowing