General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting LSD

Is it possible? Ive got a 2011 tundra small block (4.7L) that has Limited Slip Diff. A few months back we had some good rain and that made some good muddin spots at the local lake. So I packed me and a buddy in my truck and we set out to have some fun. Now when we got there I pressed the little button that I though turned the lsd off vause I wanted my tires to spin, but when I hit a slightly deep rut, the lsd kept tryin to compensate and I could feel grinding vibrations through the gas pedal. I believe the stupid lsd nearly got me stuck a few times there. So is it possible to disconnect it and how difficult would that be and to reconnect it later if I actually do need it?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are mods that you can do, but you may/will void your warranty.
Have you looked at the Tundra/Tacoma forums?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a late model tundra owner but that sounds more like your trying to turn off traction or stabuility control then the limited slip(does toy even make one for trucks?)I know that chevy when they did have a factory bypass it only worked untill the key cycled again.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Actually, what he's done by pressing the button(and turning TRAC "OFF") is still leaving the Auto LSD "ON", instead of "OFF". There is no LSD "ON/OFF" button, hence the term Auto LSD. There's only 1 button, 3 modes, "Normal", "TRAC OFF", and "VSC OFF". He needs to turn them ALL off, and that's exactly what selecting the "VSC OFF" mode does(turns the entire VSC system "OFF", incl. the integrated TRAC and Auto LSD systems). In essence then, the Auto LSD is a sub-system of both of those systems(VSC & TRAC). And, as such, isn't a system that's actually controllable on it's own. Instead you can think of it as performing an individual role in the VSC and/or TRAC systems, but never acting independantly as a traction control system(due to it's non-mechanical nature). Thus, if either system, TRAC or VSC, is "ON"(or if both are "ON" in "Normal" mode) then so is the Auto LSD system. If neither are "ON", then neither is the Auto LSD.

So how is it possible to turn "OFF" a Limited-Slip Differential you ask? IT ISN'T! The truck doesn't have a LSD, it has an "Auto LSD" system. BIG DIFFERENCE! So what is an "Auto LSD" system and how does it all work exactly?

See below for more details....

The standard Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD) helps provide better acceleration in deep sand or mud and on mixed-friction surfaces. Compared to a conventional mechanical limited slip differential, the Auto LSD system is much more responsive and has better wear characteristics. The combination of Auto LSD and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) as standard equipment on every Tundra model was a significant first in the full-size pickup segment.

The Tundra’s VSC system integrates traction control (TRAC) and enhances traction on or off-road by helping to keep the vehicle going on its intended course. VSC detects front-wheel slide and rear-wheel slide during cornering and attempts to help control either condition with throttle intervention and/or by braking individual wheels.

Integration of these technologies also brings driver-selectable versatility to tackle just about any road surface or driving condition. In “normal” mode, VSC, TRAC and Auto LSD all function to help enable traction and control capability. “TRAC Off” activates Auto LSD to help extricate the Tundra from extreme conditions. The “VSC Off” mode turns off all three of these systems.
________

AUTOMATIC LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (Auto LSD)

Auto LSD uses the brakes to simulate the action of a mechanical limited-slip differential. By applying brakes individually to wheels spinning with no traction, torque is sent to the wheels with grip. Even a 4x2 Tundra can dig itself out of many difficult low-traction situations. Typically, engine torque is distributed to the rear wheels through an open differential. An open differential sends power down the path of least resistance. Great for turns, when the outside wheel has to spin faster than the inside wheel. But not so great if a wheel loses traction, because the differential will send all of its torque to the spinning wheel. With Auto LSD, Tundra will apply brakes to the slipping wheel. This increases resistance at the wheel with slip, feeding power to the wheel with grip.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, forgot I had this thread. My truck doesn't have buttons for TRAC and VSC, just for the LSD. After reading Mudhippys post for the 4th or 5th time, Im getting the feeling that somehow they are either all integrated into the same button or that all I actually have is LSD/Auto LSD. If I push the button a little AUTO light comes on but if I press it again, the light goes off which makes the believe that I have a LSD that is either always on or automatically comes on with the push of the button. Either way, the article read as though its supposed to be helpful, I want to disagree but maybe I haven't used it correctly.