General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AGM batteries Yes or No??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:23 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face AGM batteries Yes or No??

I have had great luck with both Deka and Interstate Batteries of the normal lead acid type. It does not hurt being 15 miles away From the East Penn Manufacturing Plant and Factory Store.

I always buy the best battery I can at the time I need one. Thinking about this it might be the only time I have time to ponder a battery purchase.

The only Time I ever had problems with batteries pushing out acid was from a over charging alternator.

Granted my 4 wheeling days are pretty much limited to getting out of my driveway and dragging broke down Fords and Jeeps out of the woods

As far as corrosion it is not a problem once the vehicle is under my care.

Since my research leads me to believe Napa AGM batteries are made by Deka

It comes down to either Interstate or Deka

I can see where the average type person who for what ever reason never opens the hood can have battery issues a lot more often.

I have never as far as I can remember had a battery failure that was not caused by myself either having batteries freeze because I just forgot about them they discharged over a few months.

I blew them up or I tripped and dropped them on the hard concrete and they cracked like a egg.

As I have stated in the past I am hard on the starting system 3 or more starts in a trip of 10 miles.

Spend the added money or not that is the question.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They way you laid it out makes it hard to go with a regular battery for yourself.

Here's my take on it.
I've never had an overcharge condition in any of my vehicles but yet I've had plenty of batteries leak and cause corrosion. I'm also the type of person who has the hood up quite often checking oil, water or doing maintenance so I see what's happening to my batteries.

Leakage and corrosion, that's the main reason I went with an AGM.
I haven't had to take any extra steps or worry about it in the slightest since I switched.
Were talking about close to a 20 year span between two Optima Red Tops now.
Of course they were both made before they were cheapened up.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:42 PM

Red face

Now I hear the Sears AGM Is made by the same Company that makes the Odyssey .

I hear good things but me and sears really no longer get along since the quality of the Hand tools went down hill.

i wait to see if anyone else chimes in.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Now I hear the Sears AGM Is made by the same Company that makes the Odyssey .

I hear good things but me and sears really no longer get along since the quality of the Hand tools went down hill.
Several people have said that about the Sears AGM battery... AND their tools.
Most of my tools are Craftsman from the early 80's to early 90's and they weren't that bad. However when one of my ratchets went bad about 6 years ago and they couldn't give me a rebuild kit for it. Instead they replaced it with a new one and it SUCKS! I purchased a Proto to replace it and that Crapsman has been sitting in the same spot ever since.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had an AGM battery fail on me. I'm not sure how good the other brands are, but I have had Optima.

My first Optima was installed in my 1994 Mazda Navajo (same as a same-year 2 door Ford Explorer). It replaced an Interstate battery...that, as good as Interstate batteries are supposed to be, went bad after only 1.5 year.

After I totalled the Navajo, I transferred that same Optima battery into my 1995 Ford F150. By the time I sold the F150, the Optima was over 8 years old, and was still working fine.

AGM batteries have several advantages: (1) More capacity for a given size, (2) No corrosive gases, (3) Lesser internal resistance, making for a slightly faster charge time for a given capacity, (4) Longer life, (5) More resistant to damage and deterioration from things like heat and vibration,and (6) Doesn't discharge as fast when sitting.

The only thing I ever noticed with the Optima in the Navajo/F150 was a slight swelling/deformation of the battery. Since then, I've been through an industrial battery class (paid for by my company as part of training for my industrial electrician/instrumentation/controls job), and found out that swelling and deformation of AGM batteries is normal as they age.

I now have Optimas in both my 2006 Tacoma and 2008 Highlander after the factory battery in each failed.

By the way, I know you said you live close to a place where you can buy standard lead-acid batteries cheaply and easily. That's a good thing...until a standard lead-acid battery fails away from home...like happened in 1999, on a Sunday, in Kansas, on I-70, in a construction zone with few places to pull over, on a vacation trip from Florida to Washington State in my Navajo. Which is when I bought the Interstate that only lasted for 1.5 years. Fortunately, I was able to get a jump, and was able to make it to a local NAPA (that was closed). And fortunately, the owner of the NAPA was outside mowing the grass, and was willing to let me in and sell me a battery.

I haven't had that happen since I've owned Optimas. In fact, I've never even had to clean a battery terminal since I've started using Optimas, because of not having corrosive gases.

Last edited by William; 01-13-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I have the sears diehard p4 in my truck, I love it. Only been about 6 months in there, but no complaints so far. My winch loves it too.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Red face

No you misread that I live close to East Penn Manufacturing they make all kinds of batteries The normal Lead Acid as well as the AGM

The Intimidator also made in our 34R so the positive sets toward the engine side about $150.00 which is much cheaper then The Interstate MT7-34R for about $250.00 48 month free replacement so one pays for the warranty I am sure.

Along with wire and cable Battery Terminals all the goodies you might want.

If I make the switch it won`t be cheap because I need at least 4 to start.

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Deka group 27, 31 and 34R in the boat and truck.......can't go wrong for the price. The one in my 4runner is going for 8+ years. I usually get the Deka 27 & 31 deep cycles to survive 3 bassin' seasons without maintenance and longer if I keep the "maintenance free" ones topped up with distilled water annually.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM

Red face

Seems to me any of those Between Deka Sears or Interstate is a quality product.

Deka is easier for me to get in person.

Perhaps in the morning I will take a ride .
Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 AM

Red face

In case one was not following along this is in my 92 4Runner with the 3.4

Well I came home with one of Deka Intimidator 9A34R Nice to be able to get a second with just a minor blemish. I have been using Deka seconds for years with no problems.

A fancy new Charger a Solar Pro- Logix Model PL2520 and a 100 of the battery terminal protectors now in a plastic jar with a screw off lid.

junk batteries are paying $12.00 each and taking 3 back helped out.

I could understand if your replacing an old tired battery with a brand new one but going from a good battery less then 2 years old The test will be to see how it goes down the road.

So 1 1/2 hours later after cleaning and making all the connections nice and pretty( replacing the dropped hardware finding the never seize etc) it fired right off with all my normal electrical load lights and blower motor on high and the radio at idle it was right around 14.45 VDC at the battery with my cheap Home Depot Multimeter.

Since all this was due to a unexpected bonus I plan to call my Interstate Battery Rep on Monday if I can remember see what kind of lets make a deal we can do on the MT7 48 month replacement.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
A fancy new Charger a Solar Pro- Logix Model PL2520 and a 100 of the battery terminal protectors now in a plastic jar with a screw off lid.
You're going to be going through those washers a little slower now my friend. AGM's really are a maintenance free battery unless they crack or something of the sort. The terminals may start to dull like the other ends but they should never grow any white nastiness.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Red face

I can only guess some people never open the hood or have vehicles that sit for months at a time unused.

Other then when I first get them I never have the issues seem people have Then my days of going out are limited to just getting out the drive way.

Perhaps not enough bouncing and spilling of acid to cause any problems.

Which today is like a Bob Sled run watered down to make it faster.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:58 PM

Red face

Funny thing for what ever reason AGM batteries just are not real popular in this part of the world go figure.

Either that or the people who sell them just don`t care to push them I was told by salespeople they think they are pretty much a waste of money.

Might also be they are not keeping up with the new products they sell as most talked like the AGM batteries were pretty much deep cycle and not really that much use in a daily driver type of application

People I have dealt with for 20 plus years

Could be they are outside of the more Hardcore off road scene or the profit margins are better with the old style batteries.

Time will tell as I speak to a few more contacts from the olden days.

I will still continue to do my normal battery maintenance as before.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Red face

Been a little over a Month But then most new batteries seem to work good for the first year or two.

It is a battery it is new would I change out all my batteries perhaps if they come down in price
Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM

Red face

Wow it has been almost 29 months on this battery

Other then some corrosion on the ground lugs the normal copper turning green

Only because I put them on dry 29 months I can`t complain.

It has been so good I bought another for My Tacoma Today!!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
FWIW, I love Optimas. When they were beginning to get popular I put one in my racecar and one in the tow vehicle. That racecar did not have an alternator and it was constantly discharged and charged. The optima was never a problem. My most recent race vehicle was an offroad car - everything in the car took a beating. Again, one in the racecar and one in the tow vehicle. Never a battery issue. Batteries on all of them would sit for weeks, maybe months unused - a trickle charge over night and the cars/trucks would fire up.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd say Yes to AGM...and Optima. I thought I nearly killed off my redtop after a deep discharge and jump start (sat for a month). Tried to recharge one time but it went into abort mode. Also had several courtesy tests tell me I got a bad battery cell from the folks at Autozone. But I read a little and got a 1.5amp float charger ($7) and I can't believe when I got the green light, this Optima is still alive and well after 7 yrs. No parasitic draws and the only aftermarket I run are fog lights with relay. I thought I had to buy a new battery and was looking at the Diehard and even yellowtops, but I guess not.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Red face

I think that might be a big problem using the wrong charger.

I do hear stories of the newer Optima batteries made in Mexico being not as good as the old ones

Then who knows the habits of those with failed batteries .
Old 07-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I probably was using the wrong one before and I ended up returning that one...I think it was a 10amp charger meant for non-AGM batts. The one I got now is for AGM and standard types.

I have an Interstate batt on the Accord, I believe it's at least 4 yrs old, but still good and has never required a jump since owning it. I will use the float charger on that when its time for it to take a break from the daily driving.