General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 4Runner won’t start, flasher relay buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner won’t start, flasher relay buzzing

Started up great this morning. No prob. Just went to go to the store and when the key is turned to the on position zero indications of power. No idiot lights, etc. when I turned the key nothing happened like the batt was somehow completely dead.

I pop the hood, check the batt. And it’s good.

In in an effort to see what could be the problem I see if my parking lights will turn on. They don’t, but my flasher relay buzzes steadily along with my tail light relay. The same buzz happens when I attempt to use the actual flashers/hazard lights, and parking lights. When I hit the horn, nothing happens.

I have a aftermarket sunroof that is wired up with a light that comes on normally when the door opens. I have no idea how it is wired though. That light dims, or shuts off when the electrical is attempted to be used.

The vehicle was stolen, and recovered. I am working on restoring it. The thieves did some creative wiring when it was stolen, but it has been running great and starting up no prob over the last few months.

I have been working on getting it street legal again, but have had some issues with the front turn signals working consistently.

It previously had LED’s everywhere on the outside and inside. Those were all changed to bulbs in the last month. There is no radio, just cut wires, but they are not touching anything or each other.

Ive searched online and can’t seem to find what is causing this. All fuses under the hood and in the drivers feet area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Cap.

Its an 87 4Runner SR5 with power everything. 22re with a KnN intake. Other then that she’s stock to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Classic symptoms of either bad battery or poor connections.
ALL connections should have bare, shiny metal tightly contacting bare, shiny metal.
Check battery, AND see signature.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rad! I got a new Batt. But it looks like the alt is on its way out. I’ve thoroughly cleaned all the batt connections. Now I just need to figure out how to get the alt out without removing the power steering pump. 🤔