General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 4Runner - Dash, Thermostat, Tail, and Parking Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 4Runner - Dash, Thermostat, Tail, and Parking Light Not Working

Yet another thread on this issue. I looked around and I can't find a clear answer to this.

The dash, thermostat, tail, and parking lights in my 1987 4Runner DLX went out. I checked the 15 amp fuse. It was burnt out. I replaced the fuse. Everything came back on for about 10 seconds before the new fuse blew.

Based off what I've read, I probably have a short or a bad ground. I also have a connector for trailer lights that a previous owner installed (I've heard these cause problems). I did have an aftermarket stereo system that a previous owner installed, however I did take it all out over a month ago and didn't have any issues.

I haven't worked with electricals on a car before. Where should I start?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a plug kit for both the stereo and trailer lights available. I see those cause the biggest issue. Is your fuse in the drivers kick panels good? Seems like it is the bottom center one that I cant recall right off which one it is that controls those items you listed.

Mine was a short in the reverse light switch on drivers side of the tranny>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746688 have seen that a few other times as well. Other wise it is seeing what all is on that circuit and start testing which I am not the best at.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 AM

The fuse was blown when I checked it. I put another one in and it blew too.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what pray tell are you calling the thermostat??

Are you meaning the light for the climate control ( Heater ,Fan Motor)

Then being this is a 87 it could very well have a thermostat light.

I would be checking the trailer converter box and the plug first.

Just when did the issue start.

You have a wire exposed touching the metal of the vehicle some place.

If you don`t own a multimeter a good to to invest in one.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Yes, I mean climate control. I'll double check the light. By the way, what is the type of bulb for the climate control?

The issue started last night (April 15th). I started the car, flipped on the lights, and the above mentioned stuff went out.

I removed the trailer light wiring and electrical taped all of the exposed wire. Everything looked good when I removed it, so I doubt it was the issue. I taped off any of the slightly exposed wires on stereo system. I checked the ground next to the fuse box under the driver's side kick panel. No problems there.

I put in another fuse after doing the above and the fuse blew, so the adventure continues.

A friend of mine has a multimeter that I can borrow, though it's about time I swing by the store and pick one up.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The plug for the rear light harness is under the carpet and runs along your left door you can unplug the connector to see if the problem is in the rear or front.

Did you do any work at all this weekend where you might have caused this problem ??
Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 AM

I'll check the harness for shorts.

I cleaned out my EGR valve, adjusted my valves, and painted my front grille this past weekend. I doubt any of that stuff would screw up the electricals. I did a small roadtrip and put on four hundred miles since the last time I wrenched anything. It ran fine the whole time.

Last thing I did in the interior was I put new dash lights in (194NA bulbs) and I took the green cap off of climate control bulb. That was a few weeks ago.

The only thing I really did before this happened was I put the hard top back on (I had it off for the week of sun we got in Oregon).