Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Looking for a Good Alarm/Security system & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a Good Alarm/Security system & Questions

Ok, I am looking for a good security system for my truck. Would most likely install it myself to save $$$.

So I have some questions for people that would know.

1: My truck has the factory “Alarm”. Though I know the alarm part is worthless (as some idiots having my radio can attest). Does the Chip in my key actually work? AKA, will that actually stop someone from stealing the truck or is it a LOL security that can be undone with the cutting of a wire?

2: I am looking for a good system, something with all the bell and whistles. Remote start, 2-way, long range, LOUD alarm, shock/microwave sensors, battery backup, the works. What are good brands/model that I can preferably install myself. I have looked around, and ebay has quite a few, opinuns?

3: Just how hard is it to install one of these? As most of you know I am no stranger to wiring things on my truck.

4: Anything else you would like to share would be great. Someone stealing the whole truck is a minor concern compared to a smash and grab. Which where I live if the alarm would just go off that would virtually not happen (you have about 1 minute before 5 people are outside if an alarm goes off, literally)

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-16-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ok, I am looking for a good security system for my truck. Would most likely install it myself to save $$$.

So I have some questions for people that would know.

1: My truck has the factory “Alarm”. Though I know the alarm part is worthless (as some idiots having my radio can attest). Does the Chip in my key actually work? AKA, will that actually stop someone from stealing the truck or is it a LOL security that can be undone with the cutting of a wire?

2: I am looking for a good system, something with all the bell and whistles. Remote start, 2-way, long range, LOUD alarm, shock/microwave sensors, battery backup, the works. What are good brands/model that I can preferably install myself. I have looked around, and ebay has quite a few, opinuns?

3: Just how hard is it to install one of these? As most of you know I am no stranger to wiring things on my truck.

4: Anything else you would like to share would be great. Someone stealing the whole truck is a minor concern compared to a smash and grab. Which where I live if the alarm would just go off that would virtually not happen (you have about 1 minute before 5 people are outside if an alarm goes off, literally)
I would look at Viper alarm systems. They are one of the best companies out there. They also have a very good choice selection.

I would probably say it's not easy to install one. I know that if you go somewhere to have a remote start + alarm system put in you can expect to pay well over $100. It could just be time consuming.

Here is an awesome Viper alarm system: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2OQk3XjLPvU

Edit:

Here are some cool packages

1. http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=102 +
http://www.viper.com/Products/Accessories.aspx

2.http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=103 +

3.http://cgi.ebay.com/VIPER-5701-2-Way...QQcmdZViewItem +

Last edited by Clemsonfan15; 05-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15
I would look at Viper alarm systems. They are one of the best companies out there. They also have a very good choice selection.

I would probably say it's not easy to install one. I know that if you go somewhere to have a remote start + alarm system put in you can expect to pay well over $100.
I've installed Viper alarms many times. I think they are the best. The install manual is so well written it makes ir easier to do. It is time consuming. If you have never done one give yourself at least a day (maybe two?). For the wires going to the ign. switch (remote starter) solder them. Also make sure to ground things at a factory ground location. Most problem are caused by a bad ground. That "chip" in your key is for the immoblizer. You also need to buy an immobilizer bypass to install the remote start in your truck.

Last edited by HAVOC; 05-16-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont bother with an alarm system. People dont look at your car if it goes off, if the battery dies it will go off like crazy and any one with a remote start if the battery dies may make the car start up and if you have a stick and leave it in gear-drive away.

Look into hooking up a battery, fuel or ignition kill switch yourself. Nothing fancy, just something simple wired into one of those that if its shut of the vehicle wont start up. If you do need an alarm, I highly suggest you hide your valuables, lock up the vehicle and invest in a top tier system that has a remote pager alarm.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Dont bother with an alarm system. People dont look at your car if it goes off, if the battery dies it will go off like crazy and any one with a remote start if the battery dies may make the car start up and if you have a stick and leave it in gear-drive away.

Look into hooking up a battery, fuel or ignition kill switch yourself. Nothing fancy, just something simple wired into one of those that if its shut of the vehicle wont start up. If you do need an alarm, I highly suggest you hide your valuables, lock up the vehicle and invest in a top tier system that has a remote pager alarm.
Well this is true to some extent, except that where i live a car alarm going off WILL atract a LOT of attention real quick. And seeing as there are 2 cops, and a half dozen military vets in the area plus me and my shotgun, .45 and many other toys at the ready.

I just need the alarm to go off so i know to go check on it, the last time this happened had i just known it was happening i could have had time to get out there.

This is also why I was wanting to know how well the Chipped keys work. So i know if someone stealing the whole truck is a big worry or not. I have heard mixed reports on that.

And yes, as i said above, i am looking for a top of the line model. i want all the bells and whistels.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-16-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CJM

If you have a nice alarm you wouldn't need to hide your stuff necessarily.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Most vehicle break-ins are caused by the owner leaving valuables in plain site. If they don't steal the truck they will take any loose items, such as CD's, tools, radar detectors and stuff like that.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
CJM

If its a real theif they know exactly how to disable it with ease. And an alarm is only a deterrent, if you were dumb enough to leave a 100 dollar bill on your console overnight do you really think an alarm would stop someone from taking it.

All I would have to do is take a good pair of dikes and go under the car in plain sight (with a flashlight if its dark) and cut the negative cable which is easily traceable. Bingo, no alarm and the truck is easily taken. Most alarms wont work without battery power, a really good alarm will have a backup battery.

Last edited by CJM; 05-16-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 89dlx
Most vehicle break-ins are caused by the owner leaving valuables in plain site. If they don't steal the truck they will take any loose items, such as CD's, tools, radar detectors and stuff like that.
Yeah I agree with that, but if you watch the youtube video that I posted it shows that even if someone looks into your car the alarm will go off. Most theives will at least look in a window to scope out the area first.

A theif would have to be really hard up to steal a cd or two.

You can't be stupid though and leave a wallet or purse in the open.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
If its a real theif they know exactly how to disable it with ease. And an alarm is only a deterrent, if you were dumb enough to leave a 100 dollar bill on your console overnight do you really think an alarm would stop someone from taking it.

All I would have to do is take a good pair of dikes and go under the car in plain sight (with a flashlight if its dark) and cut the negative cable which is easily traceable. Bingo, no alarm and the truck is easily taken. Most alarms wont work without battery power, a really good alarm will have a backup battery.
If you get a good alarm they won't be able to unarm it in under a minute (time span OP gave).

I agree that being stupid and leaving money laying around will get your stuff stolen.

The OP also said that he wanted a battery back-up.

Last edited by Clemsonfan15; 05-16-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM
CJM

Good alarm or not. If you know what your doing its entirely possible to disarm or make it not even go off.

Most people steal items out of the vehicle, not the car itself anyways since its easier and less time consuming.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

If you get a good alarm they won't be able to unarm it in under a minute (time span OP gave).

I agree that being stupid and leaving money laying around will get your stuff stolen.

The OP also said that he wanted a battery back-up.
Exactly, i just want to know someone is out there. My room is 10 seconds from my truck, so give me 30 seconds to wake up and 15 more to decide which caliber hole i want ot put into the guy that is messing with my truck and i would be out there in about a min with at least 2 or 3 other people ( i am on a corner and you can see my house all the way up the street in 3 directions).

I just want to know someone is messing with my truck. And yes, i would have a battery backup as will as the 2 way remote and all the other goodies.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Good alarm or not. If you know what your doing its entirely possible to disarm or make it not even go off.

Most people steal items out of the vehicle, not the car itself anyways since its easier and less time consuming.
Last part is probably true.

In the first part your saying forget having an alarm? They do no good since EVERY SINGLE alarm can be disarmed without having it go off?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM

A proximity sensor will allow the alarm to sound if someone looks in the car. But you should have it set so it "chirps" instead. That way if the neighbors cat decides at 2:00 in the morning to jump on your truck you wont go running outside.

Also, an alarm is only as good as the install. You need a good place to hide the brain. I've seen too many alarms installed within 6 to 8 inches from the steering column. One yank on the wires and bye-bye alarm. Make the install look factory.

Last edited by HAVOC; 05-16-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Are there any Alarm installers/ guys with misspent youths that wuld like to chime in here?

LOL
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM

A proximity sensor will allow the alarm to sound if someone looks in the car. But you should have it set so it "chirps" instead. That way if the neighbors cat decides at 2:00 in the morning to jump on your truck you wont go running outside.
That's a good thought.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I know what you mean, at my old house there was a stealth across the street. When the lady first had the alarm installed it would go off at least once a day due to someone/something walking close to it.

Later she took it in and had them adjust it to work better.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM

I've also seen installs where the installer installed little strobe lights (powered by the siren wire). When the alarm is sounding they start to flash. Talk about disorienting.

Last edited by HAVOC; 05-16-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

I've also seen installs where the installer installed little strobe lights (powered by the siren wire). When the alarm is sounding they start to flash. Talk about disorenting.
I actually was woundering if that could be done, i have some flashlights that strobe and i was thinking if there was way to do that in the car that would be cool
Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 PM

I believe there are small enough strobes that are available to do this. They might be an add-on for alarms but I'm not sure.

Here is a site I go to when I need help installing an alarm or stereo:
http://www.the12volt.com/

Free to sign up and TONS of information.

Last edited by HAVOC; 05-16-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Good Alarm/Security system & Questions