Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Looking for a Good Alarm/Security system & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the link, i have been looking for a site like that!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proximity sensors are a must if your going all out
Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do go the route of proximity sensors you should install two if you have a 4Runner. The reason is, if one is in the front of the vehicle it would have to be turned way up to detect anything in the back of the vehicle. If you have two installed, one in the front and one in the back you can have them turned down to allow coverage of the entire vehicle without causing false alarms.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Two would be much better.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15
Last part is probably true.

In the first part your saying forget having an alarm? They do no good since EVERY SINGLE alarm can be disarmed without having it go off?
Incase your unaware of the inner works of an automobile: Any alarm can be disabled or even if you know what your doing. Its not hard, since most alarms runoff the battery. Like I said, get under the car, cut a hole in the hood or whatever to access the battery and you just shut off the alarm. Someone who knows what they are doing can do this quickly and easily.

If it has a back up battery, no worry if you can disable it if you know how.

Look I aint trying to argue with you pal, but I used to be a repo agent. We stole plenty of cars back with highend alarms rather easily. It was a piece of cake. Most people didnt even look if the alarm went off anyways. By the time the owner found out we were gone or down the road watching them shake thier fist at us.

Any car can be stolen if you know how. Its whats inside that gets stolen most though, things i plain site. Smash a window, nab the CDs all the while the alarm is going off.

Like I said, thats they they are pointless in reality. Keeping your valuables hidden away and the doors locked is a good thing. But a trained crook can break in even if its locked with some simple tools and some time. I have a 10,000 dollar hotrod corvette, wanna know what my alarm is-A fuel, ignition and electric cut off switch and a removable steering wheel. No screaming alarm, no pager alarm..nada.

To the OP:

Go a buy the alarm with the pager and battery back up. Take your headunit face off when you leave, hide all valuables out of sight, and if your really wary check your car if you can. I usually park where I can see my vehicles from a window if possible. But remember, nothing can stop truly make a determined thief.

Last edited by CJM; 05-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Incase your unaware of the inner works of an automobile: Any alarm can be disabled or even if you know what your doing. Its not hard, since most alarms runoff the battery. Like I said, get under the car, cut a hole in the hood or whatever to access the battery and you just shut off the alarm. Someone who knows what they are doing can do this quickly and easily.

If it has a back up battery, no worry if you can disable it if you know how.

Look I aint trying to argue with you pal, but I used to be a repo agent. We stole plenty of cars back with highend alarms rather easily. It was a piece of cake. Most people didnt even look if the alarm went off anyways. By the time the owner found out we were gone or down the road watching them shake thier fist at us.

Any car can be stolen if you know how. Its whats inside that gets stolen most though, things i plain site. Smash a window, nab the CDs all the while the alarm is going off.

Like I said, thats they they are pointless in reality. Keeping your valuables hidden away and the doors locked is a good thing. But a trained crook can break in even if its locked with some simple tools and some time. I have a 10,000 dollar hotrod corvette, wanna know what my alarm is-A fuel, ignition and electric cut off switch and a removable steering wheel. No screaming alarm, no pager alarm..nada.

To the OP:

Go a buy the alarm with the pager and battery back up. Take your headunit face off when you leave, hide all valuables out of sight, and if your really wary check your car if you can. I usually park where I can see my vehicles from a window if possible. But remember, nothing can stop truly make a determined thief.
I wasn't trying to argue either. Calm down.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
To the OP:

I pretty much do all that now, of course i don't have anything in the truck since my tool chest was stolen.

I know that any alarm system will not stoop someone by anymeans. What i do know is that it will make them think twice. Where i live no "professinal" thifes work this area. In fact when my truck was broken into the police said it was the first break in of any kind in over 3 years.

So the level of bad guy i have to deal with is street punk. So him stealing my whole truck is not what i am worried about.

Smashing and grabbing i am. Last time it took them about 3 mins+ to grab all my stuff. In that time i could have been down there and at least scared them off. Best case would have been for some idiot to try something stupid and give me a reason to put them 6 feet under.

Basically all i want from an alarm is a siren to go off if someone gets close or trys anything. And the remote start would be nice for me since i am usually in a hurry whenever i get in and giving is a min or 2 to warn up would be nice.

Seeing as you were a repo guy, i guess for the most part you towed the cars away. So you would not know anything about that chip in the key thing would you? is it actually worth anything?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 PM

if it were me i'd go with a compustar 2 way. they do cost abit more than most. (less than viper tho) and i think they are the best in the industry for reliablity, ease of use and just being an all around great product. viper remotes are weaksauce. I also don't thin chipped keys in your 2000 were standard equipment so wrap a heavy layer of tinfoil around it and see if you can start it. if so then no chipped keys you will also need to do arm and disarm to bypass the factory security. toyotas are a breeze to work on. i'd take 5 alarm starts in toyotas anyday over any other brand of vehicle.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shancerlelby
if it were me i'd go with a compustar 2 way. they do cost abit more than most. (less than viper tho) and i think they are the best in the industry for reliablity, ease of use and just being an all around great product. viper remotes are weaksauce. I also don't thin chipped keys in your 2000 were standard equipment so wrap a heavy layer of tinfoil around it and see if you can start it. if so then no chipped keys you will also need to do arm and disarm to bypass the factory security. toyotas are a breeze to work on. i'd take 5 alarm starts in toyotas anyday over any other brand of vehicle.
It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I will look into the Comustar.

And yes, i have chipped keys. I think it was an option the first owner got. I know because i had to order some chipped keys from ebay and after i had them cut i tried to start the truck before i programed them=No start. After programming though it started fine.

And just to clairfy, Toyotas are a breeze to install an alarm or they are a breeze to work on the engine? It would be nice if the alarm install was an easy one!

Anything else you want to share about installing a nice alarm/other goodies i could get to go with it?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All a chipped key does is not allow the car to be started without the key its programmed for.

It is worth a day, b/c with one its much harder to just jam a butter knife into the ignition and leave. Not saying that works on your newer truck, but older cars its possible.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Let us know what you decide to do and how you like it. .
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15
Let us know what you decide to do and how you like it. .
I will, i am going to make a write up of whatever i do. Since i just got a Supercharger Price is now a factor in getting this so i will have to shop around some.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 PM

"Toyotas are a breeze to install an alarm or they are a breeze to work on the engine? It would be nice if the alarm install was an easy one!"

both i think but im retarded and think the 3vz is fun to work on, pita but fun. yota electrics are great too designers seemed to meave alot of room for alarm brains to fit under the dash and easy to get wires thru the firewall pm me your trucks month and year and i'll send ya the tech notes for it. make it easier for you to decide if you want to install yourself or not.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

That would be great! check pm's