General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

TV cable

Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV cable

So I got home the other day and I smelled something burning. Smelled like plastic. Didnt bother looking for it that day cause I thought it wasnt nothing.
Turns out it was my TV cable, throttle valve cable. Well at least thats what I think it is. I know its not the throttle cable for the skinny pedal.
It moved over just a bit and got burned on my headers. So I was about to head out to the store the day after I smelled the cable roasting on the header and as I backed out and put it into drive I go to give it some gas and the pedal is hard as heck! Wouldnt even go down at all. Thats why at first I thought it was the throttle cable.
Does anybody know excactly what that cable does?? Is it like a kick down for the tranny. I have a kick down linkage on my 69 so that when I floor it the tranny down shifts. Is this the same thing on my Runner?
Well I'm pretty sure I can get a replacement for it but I took a look at it today and was puzzled! The end at the throttle body is easy to take off. And running it down and past the fire wall is a breeze but I dont see how to take it off of the tranny.
Is the other end of the cable inside of the tranny?? Does the pan need to be removed in order to get to this other end in order to take it off? I did see a 10mm screw that holds the cable to the tranny and I took it off but it did not release the cable. Funny thing is it still runs the same. Seems to me that it still shifts the same, even when I floor it the tranny down shifts. I did notice at first that when I started it and put it into gear it would jerk more than usual.
I need some help here Yotapeeps!!
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Its the auto kickdown cable...
Old 02-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Kick down cable

Thanks Jay351!
I'm gonna take a guess and say that this part is probably over a hundred bucks. Love my Toyota! Hate the prices for parts.
So I checked out the FSM for my Runner and I saw that the cable is indeed inside the tranny. Looks like I have to drop the pan in order to get off the old cable and put on the new one. Bummer.
So that means new filter and fluid. And of course a new pan gasket.
Which reminds me! I was told not to use a gasket on my oil pan which i didnt and have had no problems. So how about the pan on the tranny??
Thanks again fellow Yotatechers!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 AM

Tranny pan gasket

Just wondering if anyone say my earlier post about the gasket on a automatic tranny for my 92 Four Runner???
I didnt use a gasket on my oil pan and have had no problems. Should I use a gasket for the tranny pan?? I need to get into the tranny to put on my new kick down cable that I roasted on one of my headers.
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The tranny pan takes FIPG (form in place gasket) like the oil pan. But it is a different color than the oil pan IIRC. Just tell the dealer you want a tube for the auto tranny pan or get some similar stuff at the parts store.

I wrapped my kickdown cable with heat resistant insulated tape for just that reason. Custom exhaust parts have their drawbacks don't they.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-02-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM

tranny pan

Thanks mt goat!
I thought I had tie wrapped everything out of the way. Burned plastic smell proved me wrong. And thanks for the heads up on the tranny pan. Got any good ideas as to what kind of fluid I should buy for the tranny?
Cant wait to hear what my girl friend says when I tell her I have to work on my Four Runner again this weekend. Its fun for me.
Not for the girl friend.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 ATF in everything I own, no complaints.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM

TV cable on tranny

Yo Yo Yotatech!!
Anybody out there ever have to replace their tv cable cause of a malfunction or maybe it got burned on the header like mine did??? He He!
It sucked to see that I have to drop the pan in order to get to the part that is connected to the tranny.
I already know that its not good to change out the tranny fluid if it doesnt need it, but there is no way of getting to the end of the cable without taking off the pan.
I have done tranny flushes before on other cars and have had no problem. But I do know if the tranny is worn out and is already use to the old fluid its not going to be a good idea to replace it with new fluid. Too much pressure!!!. Seems like I have no choice.
Anybody got any good ideas as to which way I should apporach this delima? Ethier way it has to be done. Hopefully the fluid is not stinky and does not have a bunch of metal crud in it and maybe.....and I stress the word maybe I wont harm the tranny.
Any advise on this would be truly awesome!! Thanks yall!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a tv cable? you mean like a coaxial cable?
and was your avatar picture taken in the shopping center on eastern ave, right off the 215, with the target, famous footwear, and that fast food italian place? i totally forgot what that shopping center is called... silverado ranch maybe?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Ha! Coaxial cable!

Kick down cable!!
Well I see you know you Vegas buildings pretty good.
Its actually by Sunset park if you know where that is. Sunset and Annie Oakley to be percise! Right outside of my place of work.
I know I'm a dork. People at work saw me when I was taking that picture.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a new clean oil/fluid drain bucket and recycle the fluid then you will only need minimal new fluid to top off
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stangmandan
Kick down cable!!
Well I see you know you Vegas buildings pretty good.
Its actually by Sunset park if you know where that is. Sunset and Annie Oakley to be percise! Right outside of my place of work.
I know I'm a dork. People at work saw me when I was taking that picture.
i used to live in vegas, and used to work at the famous footwear in the silverado ranch shopping center. didnt like it. lol. (the store). then i got a job with big O and havent looked back since. (now im at express tire in poway, ca, go figure). im debating whether i want to move back out lol
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Get a new clean oil/fluid drain bucket and recycle the fluid then you will only need minimal new fluid to top off
Thanks olharleyman!
Thats what a buddy of mine told me to do. He said if the fluid doesnt stink and looks decent, that I should just reuse it. Makes total sense.
Damn I love Yotatech!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i used to live in vegas, and used to work at the famous footwear in the silverado ranch shopping center. didnt like it. lol. (the store). then i got a job with big O and havent looked back since. (now im at express tire in poway, ca, go figure). im debating whether i want to move back out lol
Cool I know where that is. Its funny how all the building look the same out here. Did you have any good places to Four wheel when you lived out here?
I'll tell you this much, the weather is probably a hell lot better over in Poway CA than it is here in the summer time!!
So I bet you always have nice tires on you Toyota huh. Lucky you!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

ive had the same tires since i turned 19, (im 21 now) and they still look BRAND NEW. i know when im ready for new tires im gonna get a hell of a prorate.. ha. about 4 wheel... ya. halfway up mt charleston, and by redrock canyon. get in touch with Joes Toy on here, he was my wheelin buddy out there. and ill be out there in april, maybe with my truck, maybe not, but we should wheel!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
ive had the same tires since i turned 19, (im 21 now) and they still look BRAND NEW. i know when im ready for new tires im gonna get a hell of a prorate.. ha. about 4 wheel... ya. halfway up mt charleston, and by redrock canyon. get in touch with Joes Toy on here, he was my wheelin buddy out there. and ill be out there in april, maybe with my truck, maybe not, but we should wheel!

Ya that would be cool! If you can remember me just hit me up here on Yotatech. I'm a newbie to the four wheelin scene here in Vegas and I really dont know where to go. Thats pretty sad givin that i am surrounded by desert and moutains. Ha!!
Cool mang! Keep intouch.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM

what pissed me off about out there is that, yeah, its surrounded by desert and mountains, but its all BLOCKED OFF! and yeah, ill remember you, ill think 'coaxial cable' hahahaha im a dumbass