General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Transmission Temperature Guage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Temperature Guage?

So after overheating my transmission again this weekend I installed my way overdue tranny cooler behind the skidplate on my 95 runner.

I have also decided to install a tranny temp guage--who has one and what kind?? How did you install the sender?? Need info..thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Nobody here has a temp guage on their tranny??
Old 08-24-2004, 07:05 PM

Hey Marc,
I personally picked up the Autometer Ultra Lite. This gague comes with a sender, so basically all you do is drill a little hole, plug the sender in and hook it up to the gauge. On wwgadgetonline.com you'll find a detailed How-to.

This is the gauge I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46100

For $44.00 dollars I would say its worth it!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

What temps do usually get from your trans? Is the 250 limit high enough?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM

I havent installed the guage yet due to lack of free time. Im pretty sure that your tranny temps should never reach more then the limit of the gauge.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I think that too, but some guages go to 250 others go up to 320. I dont want to install one that doesnt go hot enough.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:29 PM

okay bro, sorry it too me so long to respond. Normal transmission temps i would say range as low as 175 to 225 max. Any more then 225 your tranmission will prematurly fail.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where you install the sender will make a difference too.

There are two main places to install the sender: the pan and the collant lines.

The cooler line is easy to tap into with a simple T-fitting. This will measure the temp of the fluid before or after the cooler depending on which hose you tap into. I suggest the return line to the tranny because your water temp will affect the temp of the tranny fluid wich is flowing back into your tansmission.

Putting the sender in the pan is the correct location for it as far as Im concerned. First it reads the temperature of the pan fluid witch is where most of the fluid in your transmission is so I feel its the best overall indicator of transmission temperature. Seconds it now gives you a drain for your trans fluid , this makes servicing your transmission alot eaiser and no more mess . Just be sure to take the pan off and to make sure there is room for the sender where it will not hit the valve body or other things.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

old thread revisited!!

Ok, so I finally bought an Autometer Trans temp guage, and I am planning on tapping the transmission pan for the sender. I am planning on buying another pan so I can just swap it out, but I am not sure what part of the pan to drill into so I have room for the sender...anyone know??

Last edited by Marc P; 01-16-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hey marc, from some of the recent topics on this, it was suggested not to put the sender in the pan. Or are you going to have two temp gauges?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

What about installing it in place of the factory sender for the dummy light?? anyone done that?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

For the most accurate reading, you need to install the temp sender in the line directly after the torque converter before going to the cooler. This is where the fluid will be hottest, and you will know if you are boiling your tranny. This is where many people recommend installing the temp sender for supercharged 3.4 applications.

Putting your temp gauge in your tranny pan will only tell you how "hot" the pan is, but you could still be boiling fluid coming out of the TC and not know it.

My .02
Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

The guage I bought is mechanical, and has a built in sender. I am going to try my idea about removing the stock sender and using an adapter to. That is how I hooked up my coolant temp guage too.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
The guage I bought is mechanical, and has a built in sender. I am going to try my idea about removing the stock sender and using an adapter to. That is how I hooked up my coolant temp guage too.

Let us know how that works, I thought about doing that to mine, but it warned that removing the stock sender on some automatics can mess with the ecu, electrical, etc.... I ended up not having the guts to try it.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slosurfer
Let us know how that works, I thought about doing that to mine, but it warned that removing the stock sender on some automatics can mess with the ecu, electrical, etc.... I ended up not having the guts to try it.
Same here. BTW, where IS the sender for the idiot light?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put mine in a "T" off the flexable cooling line going to the radiator.

I'm using an Isspro electric, full sweep, gauge. http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp...=EVA-R&Units=E They offer a black face with white numbering and red pointer that matches our early 90s factory gauges very nice. You can also get the green bulb covers for the same look at night too. Great gauges and even better customer service, I've called them many times and they always answer their phone and have a great tech support people. Here's their home page:http://www.isspro.com/index.php
Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Dale-did you get the cool guage mount from the same people??
Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

I'm Running A Derale Kit With An Inline Filter. The Filter Kit Has A Sender Opening, No Drilling Required! That Setup Reads Line Temp Just Before It Reaches The Cooler. Auto Meter Has A Nice Trans Temp Gauge. 180 Degrees Is Running Temp On A 4.0 V6
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc P
Dale-did you get the cool guage mount from the same people??
No, I got lucky and found that used on ebay. Its made by Perrin, here's one: http://www.sportcompactonly.com/perf...19&pr=0&pl=578
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I'm going to need to get one of those steering column gauge pods like your Dale, I need a place for my tranny temp and EGT gauge...

It's getting more and more like a cockpit in my 4Runner with each thing I add... I've got my regular gauges, Boost and AFR on the a-pillar, soon to have Trans and EGT on the steering column, plus my Sirius and GPS on the windshield... and then I'll want a digital voltage gauge down by the RRDIFFLOCK button...

But, another thing I found that I might consider is 1 1/2" gauges (as opposed to 2 1/8")... I might be able to wedge them in the lower left and lower right of the dash's gauge pod. Food for thought.

Last edited by mastacox; 01-17-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature Guage?