General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

starter possibly

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter possibly

sorry if this is an old question, or wrong spot. im new to this forum..ive got an 86 turbo Toyota pickup, but its not the 33ret engine in it. its been starting fine, but the other day it left me stranded at the deer feeder. I just replaced the battery, so I know its not that. the truck wouldn't start after I had been driving it, so I tried to jump the battery, and no go. everything came on inside, but it wouldn't start up. I ended up jump starting it down a hill(its a 5 speed). I parked the truck, and disconnected the battery thinking it may be the alternator, but that wasn't it...so, the next day, I tried to crank it, and it fired right up. I bought a new starter for it, but have not put it on, so now im at a loss..
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM

last fall i had a similar issue.. started fine, drove 2 miles to the gas station, and it wouldn't start. rolled it off and drove it home. started right back up the next 5 times. replaced starter and its be fine since (a wire on the side was pretty charred). the extent of my starter woes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajstoy
sorry if this is an old question, or wrong spot. im new to this forum..ive got an 86 turbo Toyota pickup, but its not the 33ret engine in it. its been starting fine, but the other day it left me stranded at the deer feeder. I just replaced the battery, so I know its not that. the truck wouldn't start after I had been driving it, so I tried to jump the battery, and no go. everything came on inside, but it wouldn't start up. I ended up jump starting it down a hill(its a 5 speed). I parked the truck, and disconnected the battery thinking it may be the alternator, but that wasn't it...so, the next day, I tried to crank it, and it fired right up. I bought a new starter for it, but have not put it on, so now im at a loss..
1. 22RET....not 33. I have fat fingers too. What engine do you have in your truck?
2. Never complain about being stranded at the deer feeder. This is a good thing!
3. If that's your original starter I'd say you've done very well. 27 years of starting every day is almost 10,000 starts. I don't know many starters that will last that long. It could be any number of things that's causing the problem. My first guess would be the contacts on the starter solenoid or relay. You know it's not a problem with the battery because everything else came on just like usual and if the alternator died your battery would follow up pretty quickly, most likely preventing you from starting the truck again the next day. It doesn't sound like a fuel issue because I would think that would have kept you from kick-starting it down the hill.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It might be the starter contacts .

It could be bad grounds your starter is a major draw a bad ground will not allow enough current to crank

It also could be the clutch safety switch is not making good contact.

It does not hurt to do the first 2 and check the third.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
1. 22RET....not 33. I have fat fingers too. What engine do you have in your truck?
2. Never complain about being stranded at the deer feeder. This is a good thing!
3. If that's your original starter I'd say you've done very well. 27 years of starting every day is almost 10,000 starts. I don't know many starters that will last that long. It could be any number of things that's causing the problem. My first guess would be the contacts on the starter solenoid or relay. You know it's not a problem with the battery because everything else came on just like usual and if the alternator died your battery would follow up pretty quickly, most likely preventing you from starting the truck again the next day. It doesn't sound like a fuel issue because I would think that would have kept you from kick-starting it down the hill.
LOL..thanx for the words. and yes, you are correct, it is the 22, not 33..and yes, the deer feeder was a great place to be stuck at, although the deer did not agree with the parking job I did with the truck.
10,000 starts, yes, id say I may just be lucky.
sooooo..ill just replace the starter, since I already bought the new one, and keep on keeping on!
THANX FOR THE ADICE, AND EDUCATION
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Could be starter relay as well.