General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

sequoia scene?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sequoia scene?

the landcruiser is in here, but how come the sequoia isnt? i know its that soccer mom type SUV, but does anyone here done any modding to a sequoia? like the 1st gen versions or 2nd
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
seriously?
is this a serious topic?
i don't even think those things come with 4WD, or if they do its the fake 4WD that kicks in when traction is limited..
plus they're like 50% plastic crap, and they have like 6" of ground clearance..

what would be the point?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there is even an aftermarket for Sequoias. You'd have to do most everything yourself.

x2 on the plastic part, too. I don't like Sequoias. A Land Cruiser is a different beast.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM

a landcruiser has a reputation for being able to make it through africa, south america, and anywhere else in the world.

a sequoia has a reputation for hauling 4 kids to soccer practice...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 AM

They live in the 99+Tundra and Sequoia section at near the bottom with the Tundras.

Reputations aside, Sequias are basically Tundras with a shorter wheelbase and coil springs for the rear. Yes, some have been modified.

Heck, Bill Burke uses one....saw that in the 4WDToyota mag. He lifted it a bit, put an ARB and a winch on it.

If you own it, build it.

Last edited by jim65wagon; 02-05-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
seriously?
is this a serious topic?
i don't even think those things come with 4WD, or if they do its the fake 4WD that kicks in when traction is limited..

what would be the point?
No, again you're going off without any facts. It does have a proper 4wd with a low range- that info is only a quick google trip away http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toyota+sequoia+...rive+low+range. No they aren't an offroader like the LC, 4runner etc, but a little factual accuracy never took away from anyone's credibility.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
seriously?
is this a serious topic?

what would be the point?
why would u ask if i was serious? i was only asking
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 AM

I saw this on TS.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bak3rme
the landcruiser is in here, but how come the sequoia isnt? i know its that soccer mom type SUV, but does anyone here done any modding to a sequoia? like the 1st gen versions or 2nd
hey man, i know there's been alot of people raggin on the sequoia, but the fact is, they're just jealous cause they cant afford a luxury suv like this. my girlfriend owns one and i've taken it out. for sure this truck hauls ass for one. in low range it'll crawl mostly anything you want it to, except for things it can't clear. i know you can get a lift for these and ARB lockers. you can get like intakes and stuff too. idk, i don't really have any complaints about the sequoia. fast, comfortable, luxurious, off road capabilities, and it's a toyota above all things, so what's going to go wrong with it? nothing.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.04runner
hey man, i know there's been alot of people raggin on the sequoia, but the fact is, they're just jealous cause they cant afford a luxury suv like this.
That's your elitist opinion... Other, poorer, ppl see it for what it really is (and that's a fact, on a factual basis)... And that ppl that wonder why there is no forum for it and want to spend gobs of money on it to bring it up to spec in a futile attempt to make it better at "off-roading", are just posers or rich ppl with nothing better to do with their time... Like research just how much the just-off-the-shelf "Legend" it really is...

I do agree with the OP though... Personally I want to see a Lada Niva and Uaz section. I'd love to buy one of those and spend thousand$ on it...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-09-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
That's your elitist opinion... Other, poorer, ppl see it for what it really is (and that's a fact, on a factual basis)... And that ppl that wonder why there is no forum for it and want to spend gobs of money on it to bring it up to spec in a futile attempt to make it better at "off-roading", are just posers or rich ppl with nothing better to do with their time... Like research just how much the just-off-the-shelf "Legend" it really is...

I do agree with the OP though... Personally I want to see a Lada Niva and Uaz section. I'd love to buy one of those and spend thousand$ on it...
what are lada niva and uaz sections?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM

http://finishlinewest.smugmug.com/ph...53_aMsJg-L.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/...81d1649d83.jpg

http://www.americanbedliners.com/ima...quoia_lift.JPG

http://www.revtek.com/images/toyota/...Sequoia440.jpg

There's a few for you.

All elitist opinions aside (whether they are from the rich or the poor side) If you own it, and can afford to modify it (however you wish) do so. Don't worry about anyones opinion on your vehicle....it is personal likes/dislikes afterall.

The fact is it is a 4WD Toyota and it will go a lot of places, you may never run the Rubicon with it, but who really cares? I'll never run anything really gnarly in the Tundra, but 4 of us can get out to the forest and spend a week before we have to get back to town. Build it, drive it.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The sequoia was strickly made to compete with the domestic full-size SUV's of the time. Its got mostly tundra drive train and is a pretty nice suv if you like to just cruise.....
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM

that first link of the 3rd gen sequioa you posted looked sick! the front ends of the tundra/seqioa for 3rd gen look agressive and it looks higher. my parents had a sequioa when it first came out, at the time i could not drive yet, but i noticed now that it eats ALOT more gas than other full size SUV, its nice and big (use to sleep on 3rd row seats for long trips) and it cruises smooth. however personally i dont like full sized suv's. too frikin big.

i think my parents new avalon sedan has more space inerior and cargo than my 3rd gen 4runner and thats no joke
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

We do have a Sequoia section as noted but very few of our members have one so it does not see as much action as other sections do.

This is not to be confused with the "Sequoia Edition" 2nd?/3rd? gen 4runner that was available in some markets... it was basically a "Limited" before there was a Limited.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM

my parents bought one when they first came out. I spent the beginning of my teenage years riding in the back of that thing. I dont mind them one bit, its the roomiest vehicle ive ever been in and its got plenty of power. my dad used to haul his backhoe with it a few times with the whole construction crew riding in the back
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't be hating on the Sequoia. Back when I was in the Boy Scouts my Scoutmaster had one and It towed a 17ft trailer filled with stuff (about 5.5k) along with 7-8 people. That thing was a beast. It went everywhere for hours on end and NEVER had any issues, this included muddy trails to get the trailer to the camp site. And like other people said it does have real 4WD.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
No, again you're going off without any facts. It does have a proper 4wd with a low range- that info is only a quick google trip away http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toyota+sequoia+...rive+low+range. No they aren't an offroader like the LC, 4runner etc, but a little factual accuracy never took away from anyone's credibility.
nobody said anything about 4low, i just said it probably had the fake 4wd where it only kicks in when the traction is limited
Regardless of whether it has low range or not, it's still loaded with plastic nonsense.
And your google search only came up with one hit for toyota sequoia low range.

When i searched i got this information.
On all three vehicles, you have the option of locking the center differential. It is rare that anybody would ever need to do this. On the Land Cruiser and 4Runner, this is accomplished by pushing a button on your dash. On the Sequoia, you shift into 4 wheel low and shift the transmission into “L”. This turns off the TRACS computer and the VSC system. The vehicle is now in a conventional 4WD mode. All 4x4 Toyota trucks have operated in this condition. You should not ever use this mode on dry pavement as you will damage the drive system and tires.
Basically, you push a button to get into 4WD. Not as reliable as manually putting the vehicle into 4wd via a shifter imo. But hey, to each his own.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM

section for the sequioa eh? i'llhave to go check it out thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM

I got a 2003 sequoia as my first car and it is perfect for what I do. It will kick ass in indiana snow, do mild off roading, and haul my buddies around. Sure it doesn't have all of the parts available like the other trucks do, but that just makes it more of a challenge to customize which I like. I had my truck for less than 30 minutes before i had it on jack stands and all torn apart. So ya its not easy customizing a sequoia on a teenager's minimum wage budget (which is mostly eaten up by gas), but I still love my sequoia and can't wait to lift it and get some 35's under there so i can do some serious off roading. Maybe its not for you, but it is by no means a bad truck or a "plastic" truck. If you haven't owned one or driven one for an extensive amount of time then don't judge, its just ignorant.