General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rockauto

Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Rockauto

A couple things about Rockauto that may be of interest to y’all.

First, I got their July newsletter today and noticed an article named “Rockauto Says NO! To Price Fixing.” I thought it would be of some interest here. Here is what the article said:
“Dorman, a supplier to RockAuto for more than fifteen years, now demands all retailers sell at the same price (or higher) -- or not sell at all. The policy looks like an attempt to protect auto part chain stores and their "charge double what we paid" mark-ups, in the face of slowing sales and plunging stock prices.
RockAuto is an independent, family-owned retailer. We work hard to provide reliably low prices, on all the parts your car will ever need. Our customers depend on their vehicles to get to work, school and all the other places life takes them. We will not participate in any scheme to force consumers to pay higher prices.”

Second, an observation based on a parts order I get from them. I’ve been getting some parts for a while from Rock, but this time I noticed something. The parts seem to have come from other parts stores and have been on a shelf for a while. For instance, I just got in a radiator cap, rocker cover gasket set and a set of brake pads. The rocker cover gasket set is in CarQuest packaging and made by Victor Reinz there is not clear made date on the label. There used to be a CarQuest store in my town but it is long gone. The radiator cap is in a box from Federated Auto Parts and is dated 12/15/2014. I’ve heard of Federated Auto Parts but don’t know where they are or if they are still around. The brake pads are Beck Arnley but the date on them is from 2000. My guess is Rockauto buys up closed part store lots at pennies on the dollar and so they can sell them cheaply online.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"My guess is Rockauto buys up closed part store lots at pennies on the dollar and so they can sell them cheaply online."

You are probably right on with that assumption. We had several mom and pop parts stores here in central florida up until around 1998. Its a shame they are gone, you could actually speak with a retailer who actually knew more about the part you needed than you did yourself. Its the new way of the world. Everyone wants cheap prices and high volumes regardless that the parts are made in China. My 2cents, buy as many parts trucks as we can afford to store and never need these big retailers.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes Sir that is just what he does.

That is why the inventory is always changing .

One thing I don`t like about Rock Auto is different parts in the same order can ship from different places .

If one does not keep a eye on shipping charges they add up fast .

Maybe things have changed it has been some time.

But 4 different items from 4 different places the cheapest way would have cost me close to $40.00 in shipping perhaps it was just a fluke .

Till I figured the shipping cost and the parts price I saved money buying Local
Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
We had several mom and pop parts stores here in central florida up until around 1998. Its a shame they are gone, you could actually speak with a retailer who actually knew more about the part you needed than you did yourself. Its the new way of the world. Everyone wants cheap prices and high volumes regardless that the parts are made in China. My 2cents, buy as many parts trucks as we can afford to store and never need these big retailers.
When I started wrenching there was an independent store just like that in L.A. The main parts guy knew everything and everyone. You could get the parts to rebuild something vs. putting on a new one (and you really don’t learn much). I learned a lot from rebuilding things and loved it. Now – not so much.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Yes Sir that is just what he does.

That is why the inventory is always changing .

One thing I don`t like about Rock Auto is different parts in the same order can ship from different places .

If one does not keep a eye on shipping charges they add up fast .

Maybe things have changed it has been some time.

But 4 different items from 4 different places the cheapest way would have cost me close to $40.00 in shipping perhaps it was just a fluke .

Till I figured the shipping cost and the parts price I saved money buying Local
Thanks for confirming.

On my last order a month or so ago, I was able to see what the shipping points and costs were. The order, about 6 parts for 2 different cars, was going to be shipped from 2 locations. Somewhat annoying, but that is one way they are able to keep prices down. In my case it was still notably cheaper than buying locally from Azone or O’Really.

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 07-28-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
"My guess is Rockauto buys up closed part store lots at pennies on the dollar and so they can sell them cheaply online."
You are probably right on with that assumption. ....
Second that.

...One thing I don`t like about Rock Auto is different parts in the same order can ship from different places...
It may not just be Rock Auto. When I ordered parts from Toyota Parts Deal a few months ago, AT FIRST I was glad parts originated from San Diego. However, as I tracked the shipment I was shocked how it went all over the place! LOL! (See Attached tracking and Map)
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 PM

You are probably right on with that assumption. ....
Second that.

...One thing I don`t like about Rock Auto is different parts in the same order can ship from different places...
It may not just be Rock Auto. When I ordered parts from Toyota Parts Deal a few months ago, AT FIRST I was glad parts originated from San Diego. However, as I tracked the shipment I was shocked how it went all over the place! WTF?! (See Attached tracking and Map)
Attached Thumbnails Rockauto-20160901_00001.png   Rockauto-20160901_00002.png  
Old 07-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am also sure most warehouses tend to get rid of stock that doesn`t move so if the price is right one jumps on it.

Ray in your case were you billed a shipping and handling charge from each place it was shipped .

So you had like $40.00 or more in shipping costs on your 1 order ??

Since I order Toyota parts from my local dealer if I am there in Person He might say this is in Maryland This needs to come from Texas ETC !! Depending what warehouse has it parts for mid eighties 4x4 are getting rare.

I know with my Napa Prolink I can see just what distribution center has the parts I need if there inventory is close.

My point was more to just watch your shipping charges !!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Second that.
It may not just be Rock Auto. When I ordered parts from Toyota Parts Deal a few months ago, AT FIRST I was glad parts originated from San Diego. However, as I tracked the shipment I was shocked how it went all over the place! WTF?! (See Attached tracking and Map)
I've had similar things occur when ordering from Amazon and eBay. Warehousing and shipping is not like it was before the inter/web/nets. Better in some ways but not in all.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 AM

(See Attached tracking and Map)
Hey Ray, I just noticed you are out in Moreno. I spent a lot of time (and $$$) at the old Riverside track. Do you live where Turn 9 used to be?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM

...Ray in your case were you billed a shipping and handling charge from each place it was shipped .
No extra charge. It could have been because of USPS routing system. I could have just ridden my bike and picked it up where it was on second day - LOL!

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Hey Ray, I just noticed you are out in Moreno. I spent a lot of time (and $$$) at the old Riverside track. Do you live where Turn 9 used to be?
Lived there short-term last year, but I'm back in San Diego now.
Yes, based on this... I lived right in the middle of where the R.I.R. used to be
Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 AM

Lived there short-term last year, but I'm back in San Diego now.
Yes, based on this... I lived right in the middle of where the R.I.R. used to be
I didn't realize it had been built up that much. Last time I was near there, maybe 10 years ago, there wasn't that much development. Also interesting that you found the original RIR layout (up till about 1970). The very long back straight got a couple guys killed so they changed it. The version(s) pictured were what I drove on.

And to keep on subject . . . there are coupons online for when you shop at Rockauto

EDIT: the pic didn't come out right here. I got it from Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers...tional_Raceway
Attached Thumbnails Rockauto-riverside_international_raceway_1980_and_1967.svg.png  

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 08-01-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bringing up a old thread but wanted to warn anyone thinking about purchasing from Rockauto. I ordered 2 cab corners a couple weeks ago. When they arrived, they were poorly packaged and damaged. I contacted them about a refund, which they issued a return tag for. The box was about 3 sizes too small, no packing material and damaged. I told them I needed a new box or for them to reimburse me for buying a new box and material to properly pack the items in, since their returns page states that refunds may not be issued if the part or box is damaged while being shipped back.

I've been getting the run around now for 2 weeks from them. Finally told them I'm not happy with their customer service and concerned with the whole process. So they in turn closed the case and will not return emails for a week now. Getting ready to dispute the charges with my credit card co. Wish I would have searched their reviews before ordering, many unhappy people out there over the last year. Think maybe they have changed ownership or management......

Here is the package as it arrived :

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 02-27-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts

Not relevant to this thread at all. Start a new thread.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

Not relevant to this thread at all. Start a new thread.
While that post isn't completely on the original topic, it still directly relates to Rockauto, the title of the thread.....

Anyway, a new thread would be good to document your specific case.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just dropped an order with Rock Auto. Aisin master and slave cylinders; a set of front fenders. Fully aware that any of the parts could be damaged in shipping. But for the price I'll take the gamble. If it something is damaged and I have to spend a couple - $5 for a box. If I wanted to to inspect prior to purchase to guarantee product condition. I could have forked out the cash for fenders at a body shop and Aisin hydraulics from dealership.

Also got a grill coming from Amazon. Same deal.

Sucks smaller parts stores and retailers are suffering from the likes of on-line vendors but its not simply that I want to pay less. I have to payless due to my resources. Of course some is due to profit margins. Autozone and Advance can sale items for less than "mom and pops" shops simply due to volume of sales. Some is convenience; I can order 24/7. Some is as areas develop the cost of doing business rises for small shops and that price gets passed on. I like the local NAPA and the owners son will give me a big break on list prices but he is not in the stop much nowadays and if a part needs to be ordered I still have to pay for shipping to NAPA store, being as Yota parts are rare in stock here..... If y'all haven't notice many parts have risen in price over the years. I'm sure its related to material supply and demand and tariff and property tax and other taxes. But how much can anyone take it in the wallet? If money wasn't an issue we;d all wheel a new $40K rubicon (after all what manufacturer makes an off the lot ready to offroad rig but thats another post)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Fenders came in!!! Packaged very well and no damage. Won’t be installing till weather warms up so can’ Very fitment till then.
IMO proper size box
Good cushioning/packing material
Individually packed too

Unpacking helper!!

Different manufacturers, time will tell how fitment will go.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Fenders came in!!! Packaged very well and no damage. Won’t be installing till weather warms up so can’ Very fitment till then.

Nice. And not made in the Communist Bully of Asia!
I like my experience with Rock Auto and its pricing.

Search this Thread