General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Parking on hills etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking on hills etc...

I'm just curious, after seeing the pictures of those guys parked on their snow hills in Denver..

Does anyone have any opinions or facts or things to do before parking your truck or 4runner on an unusual surface like a gravel or snow pile, or something where it is tilted way over or the rear springs are compressed more than normal or the whole rig is leaning way back? Just curious so I don't damage my truck at work. We got a lot of 'parking spots' but that is always in the back of my head that I might Eff something up by leaving it for 8 or 10 hours in some weird position.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Use your parking brake and I have always heard to turn your wheels one way. I don't think you will cause any problem parking that way although I wouldn't leave the vehicle so its tilted to its side.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
The only problem I had was parking on a pile of gravel over night with one tire stuffed up front. The next day I came out and my "little" crack in my windshield was now completly across! Of course it went down to single digits that night. I don't know if I would like to keep my truck parked straight on a 45 degree hill for 8-10 hours. They park like that all day long in San Fransico, right? I know excatly what you mean by "parking spots" because I have the same thing at work. Honestly, it makes my kinda kringe when I see some guy parked in a hole with his suspension all twisted up. Especially when I know he's there for 10-12 hours at work.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM

My big concern is liquids in the engine shifting to one side and sitting somewhere or getting stuck somewhere, air bubbles forming.. yada yada..

Also I just didn't want to put excessive wear on any suspension parts by having it all twisted up or extended.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM

My friend parked his ranger with the front articulating 100% overnight once and it was completely fine in the morning. If i have to park my truck at a steep angle i always put it in first or reverse depending on the direction its facing and set the parking brake. Be careful if it gets extremely cold where you live because if you set the parking brake overnight and it goes deep negatives the brake can actually freez and cant be let off untill it warms up. if your parked next to a curb facing uphill turn your front tires so that the back of the tire is facing the curb, this way if the vehicle rolls down the tire will hit the curb and hopefully stop it.
i dont know a lot about engines but as long as the engine isnt carbureted you shouldnt have any problems. If its carbed and you leave it at a severe angle too long you might get some horsepower drain for a few minutes when you first start moving.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

I always park my truck at crazy angles. On snow piles, rocks, stumps, anything I can find. When I go camping ill leave my truck parked articulated all night and ive never had any problems.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 PM

i park mine with one tire on the curb. does that count?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Best parking spot at my school right in front of the door has a pretty big snow pile, I'm the only one that can park there right now so I can sleep in while everyone else gets up early to get a good spot. I park there every day and my truck always drives away fine.