General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

more diesel talk, how 'bout diesel fuel additives?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more diesel talk, how 'bout diesel fuel additives?!

hey guys, when i got my hilux surf, i tried a product called Howes

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10

i've used both the diesel treat and meaner power kleaner products, especially for the winter to keep the fuel from gelling etc.... not bad, i used it for over a year (at the time, i heard all the truck drivers were using it, about a dixie cup full for one big tank). mileage was good....

then i tride the Lucas stuff!

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

now, i guess this product isn't exactly like the howes since it doesn't have the antigel properties, BUT i swear to god my mileage improved even more! almost adding at least 50km to my fuel range! i used to see the fuel light go at around just under 500km, then i'd calculate about another 75k before it runs dry, now i'm going past 500 before the light goes on and i've easily hit 600k with still plenty of diesel left, a serious difference compared to the howes. however at the diesel truck stop i buy the stuff from, the guys say that this can be used for the winter but there's nothing in it to prevent gelling....not thinking they had an antigel version, i checked and found this too:

i've never seen this bottle on any shelves so i can't wait to try it out. anyone have any experience with it? we've just hit our first snowfall and the temps are dropping...

anywho, just thought i'd share some of my experiences. i'm gonna assume that the stuff i've tried is more superior than the kleen flo ones or other more generic brands....

oh yeah, a friend who works a Wurths gave me a bottle (12 bucks) they used on TDI mercedeses and VW's, but realy expensive and one big bottle treated only a tank of fuel. with either howes or lucas i'm using about 5 ounces/150ml to treat my 65 litre tank, and one big jug is only 35 bucks good for a few dozen fill ups.

if there's anything else out there you swear by, let us know.

cheers.

Last edited by hiluxsurf; 11-24-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hiluxsurf
hey guys, when i got my hilux surf, i tried a product called Howes

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10

i've used both the diesel treat and meaner power kleaner products, especially for the winter to keep the fuel from gelling etc.... not bad, i used it for over a year (at the time, i heard all the truck drivers were using it, about a dixie cup full for one big tank). mileage was good....

then i tride the Lucas stuff!

now, i guess this product isn't exactly like the howes since it doesn't have the antigel properties, BUT i swear to god my mileage improved even more! almost adding at least 50km to my fuel range! i used to see the fuel light go at around just under 500km, then i'd calculate about another 75k before it runs dry, now i'm going past 500 before the light goes on and i've easily hit 600k with still plenty of diesel left, a serious difference compared to the howes. however at the diesel truck stop i buy the stuff from, the guys say that this can be used for the winter but there's nothing in it to prevent gelling....not thinking they had an antigel version, i checked and found this too:

i've never seen this bottle on any shelves so i can't wait to try it out. anyone have any experience with it? we've just hit our first snowfall and the temps are dropping...

anywho, just thought i'd share some of my experiences. i'm gonna assume that the stuff i've tried is more superior than the kleen flo ones or other more generic brands....

oh yeah, a friend who works a Wurths gave me a bottle (12 bucks) they used on TDI mercedeses and VW's, but realy expensive and one big bottle treated only a tank of fuel. with either howes or lucas i'm using about 5 ounces/150ml to treat my 65 litre tank, and one big jug is only 35 bucks good for a few dozen fill ups.

if there's anything else out there you swear by, let us know.

cheers.
Find a truck stop or repair shop a get hold of FPPF its works really good in cold weather and lubing the motor. The best part is the a small bottle cost like 5 bucks and treats 250 gallons. You will find tons of truck drivers using it on there CATERPILLERS CUMMINS AND DETROITS and it is for anti gelling as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run Stanadyne Performance Formula in my VW diesel. It works well and I mix it with some 2-stroke motor oil for easier adding to the tank (use 3 oz. or so of the additive, mix enough 2-stroke oil to make a pint and dump that all in).
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use Red Line Diesel fuel catalyst or 85 plus. i use them alternately every other 2 bottles of each.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 AM

I have used a product called "redex" which removes carbon build up and lubricates the fuel pump etc, although I have been told that ATF does the same job for less money, and I have treid it, and it does seem to work.

In the UK, the manufacturers/suppliers put anti gelling agents into the fuel in the winter, so we don't need to add anything, unless it get to -10 or below, but that's very rare in UK.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM

oh yeah, when i was at the truck store talking to some of the truck drivers about additives...one of 'em said that i was only supposed to use the lucas injector cleaner cuz overuse could burn the tips of my injectors?! is there some truth to this? i use only about 5 oz/150ml of the stuff per tank up (60litres) been very diligent with additives since purchasing the truck (and 70K kms later) and she's been running awesome (knock on wood)

anywho, i've switched back to the howes antigel for the winter and will be waiting for the lucas cold weather/antigel additive (same stuff as the injector cleaner but w/ antigel properties...)

anyone big on the amsoil products?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 AM

Send the Hilux Surf over to me and I will test some different products. You might not get it back, though.

<-- Jealous. Real jealous.