General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Interesting oil filter info

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat

I found this quote rather shocking

Depending on the filter it may also be true that we are in full bypass mode anytime the engine is running over 3000 rpm and the secondaries are open - even with a warm motor and clean oil!
For those that actually care about the finer details of oil filtration LOL , I'm finding reasons to doubt that quote I was so shocked about before, after reading this test data: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1619451&page=1 At least on normal engines.

That would certainly be more in line with what I would have expected (at least from a clean filter element) and would show that the bypass valve is almost always closed with a warm engine, even at high rpms.

BTW, my filter's specs say it goes into bypass in the 8-11 psi range.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-15-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
i use toyota filters they are only $5.

any tear down pics of a yota filter?
Saw this over on the older truck section, looks like there are several different Toyota filter designs:

Originally Posted by flyingbrass
I cut the oil filter open that I used for the 10 minute initial run and 5 mile drive. This is the first time I've opened one up. I'll look at it closer tomorrow in the daylight. A magnet run through the drained oil didn't pick up anything except a few tiny flecks. They could have come from the tranny oil the pan held before.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Ever wonder what happens if you go 49,000 miles without changing the oil & filter?

This is from this link:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=269465

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy $#!% !
Old 04-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mt goat thanks for the thread. I am stunned to see a couple of you willing to defend the Frams. Yes it does make sense that regular replacement probably makes many of the points moot.

Very generally speaking the peace of mind issue is why we pursue the best possible parts and for the best price available. To that extent I have read good things about the slightly higher capacity NAPA golds mentioned. Certainly those seem like a good price and the cut away view is 'science' in my mind. We get to see the actual parts used and make up our own minds what that is worth.

On my 3rd gen Runner the pictured YZZG1 Factory filter (post #46)was the recommended OEM for the 3.4 and now they say the slightly longer ( I mean like 2 mm or so) YZZD1 is better-though any difference is debatable (imagine that)....

we don't all agree but for the most part the discussion is non personal in nature and I value listening to all of you.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
mt goat thanks for the thread. I am stunned to see a couple of you willing to defend the Frams. Yes it does make sense that regular replacement probably makes many of the points moot.

Very generally speaking the peace of mind issue is why we pursue the best possible parts and for the best price available. To that extent I have read good things about the slightly higher capacity NAPA golds mentioned. Certainly those seem like a good price and the cut away view is 'science' in my mind. We get to see the actual parts used and make up our own minds what that is worth.

On my 3rd gen Runner the pictured YZZG1 Factory filter (post #46)was the recommended OEM for the 3.4 and now they say the slightly longer ( I mean like 2 mm or so) YZZD1 is better-though any difference is debatable (imagine that)....

we don't all agree but for the most part the discussion is non personal in nature and I value listening to all of you.

The factory 3.0 and 3.4 filter is almost an inch shorter then the 4.7L tundra filter.. not 2mm..
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no holes in the filter media would be a good convincer for me gnarly4x-you show me a fram cut apart with no holes and that would likely do it.

My point was simply that the Frams have a bad reputation in general.Not just on this forum but by so called oil experts-some named in this very thread.

Please re-read second sentence of posting:
I agreed that regular replacement probably renders that argument moot-moot meaning not important.

Please no war of words here sir. If the Frams suit your needs and you get them at a great price and you change them regularly, that is great and I am happy you like them.

As suggested by the cutaway evidence presented-the Frams had visible faults. That was my point. And apologize if poorly presented as stated.

jay351- I was not mentioning the Tundra filters whatsoever-or perhaps they use the same as the Runners? You would be more correct that the difference would be in a few CM-centimeters and not Millimeters-that was sarcasm which clearly did not travel well on the WWWeb.

A simple comparison between heights and widths of the YZZG1 and the YZZD1 is almost non distinguishable to the average layman oil changer. If you say it is an inch then I would bet you are correct sir.

My Google conversion chart shows 1 inch to be 2.54CM,(centimeters) or 25.4MM (millimeters). My statement of 2MM obviously then is an exaggeration-and I thank you for the correction.

Oil and the filters seem a very contentious topic. Therefore-I value when people present scientific type evidence and not just rhetoric. I bow to the experts involved and am glad to see a discussion of this type conducted professionally.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so are oil filters and oil changes just one gigantic scam put on by the automotive industry to squeeze as much money out of us as possible? i'm gunna go take my filter off and put a cap on there, i'll have a no oil filter mod write up for you guys asap!