General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Has anyone heard of high-tech-retreading.com?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone heard of high-tech-retreading.com?

I was told about them by a co-workers son, he just got a set of 35-12.5-15 for $440. He has had them on sense July and likes them. Anyone have any thoughts on retreaded tires? Or heard of this company? What are your thoughts?
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

B

Last edited by RED 85; 10-27-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone have any coments on retreaded tires?
B
Old 10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
just in case anyone is trying to get to the site to look into it, it is actually www.high-tec.retreading.com no h in the "tech". i don't know much about them personally however, tried google?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
after a little research myself and some common sense, i would say that retreaded tires just arent as good as regular ones. i dont know the process that they use to do that but at some point there has to be something acting as a glue to keep the new treads on. with all the heat tires get, that tends to fall off (ever wondered why there are always TONS of 18 wheeler treads on the highways?) and ive even seen reports of retreaded tires exploding, which wouldnt be fun. id say dont risk it, just get new tires.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:56 PM

I looked into them last fall as I planned on getting some Green Diamond Tires for winter. From everything I've read they are a good thing. They save oil by retreading the tires, ie the lower cost. They have a pretty good FAQ about retreading. They use semi-trailers as an example for the retreading process. It is the norm to retread tires in the industry because of the cost of new tires. That might lead you to ask how it can be safe to run retreads when we see all those blowouts along the roads. The answer is to look for wires sticking out of those blowouts. The wires are a sign that the WHOLE tire not just the retread came apart. This is 99% due to improper tire pressure/damage to tires.

The green diamonds are cool because they were developed in Ice Land and use industrial grade diamonds that are mixed through the tire tread so they act like sharks teeth, always exposing more as the rubber wears off.

There is finally a distributor in Anchorage for these tires and they have lead the pack in testing by the Alaska DOT. They found studs to only be better than normal tires 6% of the time.

Just my $0.02

Erich

Oh, one last thing. I ended up not getting the tires because they were swamped and kept pushing my order back. We had bad weather so I went with studs locally. The only gripe I have is that thier customer service was lame because they were so busy. I called 4 times before I got a different guy on the phone who wanted to answer my questions. I had some special shipping needs due to living in Juneau.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've looked into getting retreads when my tires are up, only thing that might make me change my mind is that if my store doesn't carry what i want (we don't sell tires), I can have them ordered for cost, and I'll just have to pay a 10-15% fee.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

i have found out that retreads are also used on school buses. and from what i read on the website they hold together. Just gotta find more info on them. I work with truck drivers and ask them and see what they say.
B
Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM

for a street driven rig, they are fine. my brother put a set on his 4runner and after 15,000 miles and not a single rotation, they are still in amazing shape. my dad had a set on a truck of his but he sold it before i could get any long term results. other people say they are just fine for a DD etc. semi's and school buses use them all the time.

the problems arise from using the tires at low air pressures. the tires arent meant to be used at say 5 psi all day on the trail and the only problems i have ever heard of from high tech retreads is in this type of use.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Ive asked the guys (family friends) at Goodyear back home about retreads, they said they would never put their family, in a car that has retreads, and left it at that. but thats coming from a guy that owns a Goodyear shop, also a family friend.
the word "retread" kind of scares me.
from what i read on the website they hold together
do ya think they are going to tell you anything else ?
call me i might be able to get ya a discount at tires plus up here.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:47 PM

I ran 2 33X12.5X15 Mud tread tires from Hi-Tech Retreading and they were fine. Never had any problems with them. I carried them around as spares for a year and then ran them on the rear of my truck for over 5,000 miles without any issues. They are a dependable tire.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 AM

I used to think that new tires were the only way to go on my off-road truck. Bought a set of 13/36x15 superswampers tsl. Ran them for about 2 years, very little mileage, about 5-6,000 miles. Threw a chunk of tread at 60 miles per hour and just about shook my truck apart. So new isnt always the way to go. jmho.

Now I dont know if I want another set of swampers since they left me sitting on the side of the road.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 AM

retreaded tire

about retreaded tire ,the factors which influence the the quality of the retreaded tire are as follows:
1. the most important fator is raw tire,
2.the second important factor is the technology of manufacturing the machine,
3.the third important factor is the workmanship of the staff

if we do well this ,so the quality of the retreaded tire is good .

any questions ,we can communicate with each other .
my skype :angle.88896
angilsmile@gmail.com
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmmm, those aren't useful for offroad use.
If you actually read the information on their website you note
that airing down the tire, for off road use, voids the warranty on the
tire.

Fred
Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Mmmm, those aren't useful for offroad use.
If you actually read the information on their website you note
that airing down the tire, for off road use, voids the warranty on the
tire.

Fred
As I know ,there have the special retreaded tire for offroad ,the tire tread must be well ,anti-torn ,stretch-proof,special for bad road .