General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stump1883
Dang, now I'm lost again
Relax and have fun with this. No stress . . .

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Could I just get the harness, use it for all the plug ups to the solinoids, switches, ect. And then just replace the power lines that run to the compressor?
Yes, you can do this. Very simple. Just use the same gauge wire as the ones coming out of the extremeair. This HD wire would run from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the compressor. Make sure there is a fuse between the relay and the compressor. Just follow the ARB wiring diagram above. Here's the relay Extremeoutback has for the extremeair (100 amp relay)
for around $20.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Well the more I wait for the great deal on the Extreamair, the more it bothers me. It's all a freind of a friend deal, it will work just really slowly. How is the Viair 550, there are a few on e-bay right now going for around $280. It's a 100% duty cycle, would it be comparable to the Extreamair, or should I just hold out. The price I would be getting on the Extreamair is close to the $315 from the group buy.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

I am running the Viair 550 and love it. Take a look back through some of my past threads for my reactions and how I mounted it.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
I am running the Viair 550 and love it. Take a look back through some of my past threads for my reactions and how I mounted it.
I went back and read your posts, you never said about how it did as a tire pump. That is my main desire, I want OBA really bad for my rig. About how long does it take to fill 35" tires? Also if you had not gotten the deal, might you have gone with the Extreamair instead? Does the slight difference betweent he two make all that big a difference in performance while airing up tires?

I know that's alot but this is a big purchase for me, not just something to tide me over.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

WATRD also has like a 10 gallon tank .. his setup is really nice. I believe midiwall has the Viair set up. search for the thread "intrest in group buy for compressor" there was a good discussion between viaair and the ex/air.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Correction: I have a 2.5 gallon tank.

It kicks butt on filling up tires. I can do four 35" tires from 15 PSI to 35 PSI at about two minutes each and that is without the tank being pre-filled. It's minutes faster per tire than the ARB and still faster than the more popular Viair 450C. I can't speak to the Extreme Air point, I have yet to see one installed, so it might be just as good or better.

I can say that I am very happy with the Viair 550C. It's quality is top drawer and I like the fact that it has little details like the check valve, stainless outlet hose, pressure blow off, etc. They obviously designed it to last and protect itself. I especially like that after filling up four 35" tires, the compressor is just getting warm, not red hot like my QuickAirII used to get.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

ok I've moved some stuff around inside .. it looks a little different then what you see in the pic. The brake box is tucked in a little better, rather then at an angle. Ok the problem I'm having now is that the the brackets on the compressor are flat and the wheel well is curved. So how do I properly bolt it down. Just use long bolts and have the thread showing? Or does someone have a better suggestion?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

ok I went ahead and drilled out the holes for the mounting brackets. I got three of the mounting brackets to sit level on the wheel well, and the fourth one is about a 1/4 inch off, so I will just get a longer bolt for that one. Also trimmed the bracket for the ABS box, to make it look nicer.

I need some more screws so I'm off to go get those now, and then I'll have a pic up of what it looks like.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

ok well last week I was suppsoed to have the lockers put in .. but that plan fell through at the last minute. So now I was just going to have the rear put in locally here. But the guy that I had lined up to do it .. hacked off one of his fingers or something, and is moving shops blah blah blah .. so he said he can't get to it for 4-6 weeks.

I went ahead this morning and ordered a rear locker, and I posted on some of the local boards to see fi I could just pay someone local to do it for me. well see what happens. But is this something that I can do on my own? I know if I can pull the third, then I can take it to 4x4 connection and they will install the locker for $350. How hard is it to pull the third?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
ok well last week I was suppsoed to have the lockers put in .. but that plan fell through at the last minute. So now I was just going to have the rear put in locally here. But the guy that I had lined up to do it .. hacked off one of his fingers or something, and is moving shops blah blah blah .. so he said he can't get to it for 4-6 weeks.

I went ahead this morning and ordered a rear locker, and I posted on some of the local boards to see fi I could just pay someone local to do it for me. well see what happens. But is this something that I can do on my own? I know if I can pull the third, then I can take it to 4x4 connection and they will install the locker for $350. How hard is it to pull the third?
They are pretty easy to pull. If you've ever changed an axle seal, you're already half way there. At that point you might as well put the locker in yourself.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't done anything like this before. I crawled under there and stared at it for a bit. I guess i would pull the tires off, disconnect the brake lines, somehow drop the rear axle, and then unbolt the thrid from both ends.

It just seems like one of those things, where I can really mess my truck up
Old 04-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

I know if I can pull the third, then I can take it to 4x4 connection and they will install the locker for $350
WOW THATS A LOT! i am dropping of my VEHICLE and being charged $175 to install an ARB locker.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

I was told that if I drop off the vehicle and they do the install it was going to be in the range of $650 (different shop) :wtf:
Old 04-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

I was told that if I drop off the vehicle and they do the install it was going to be in the range of $650 (different shop) :wtf:
Ahh I'm feeling better about my already set-up 3rd more and more. Good luck with the install. If you pull the 3rd yourself, do everything you said, and also unbolt the 4 nuts on the axel shafts one on each side, slide them out, half way should do it, and then pull the 3rd out. Otherwise the shafts are still inside the housing. Good luck with things, post pictures when you get them. This page is a really good scource for ARB info.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really easy ( now that I've done it). You can also go to your dealership and have them print out the replacement procedure for the 3rd. You can use that in conjunction with the ARB insructions especially with regards to torque values, backlash and runout. Just use install fee for another mod . By the way, in the ARB instructions, it tells you to remove the bearings from your old diff. No need to do got beacause it will be replace by the ARB anyway unless you plan to reuse the bearings. I got the bearings from TOR and they cost about 30 dollars. Here is the list of misc things I bought when I installed my locker.
1. carrier bearings (2)
2. diff gasket (1)
3. bluing compund
4. permatex 2C
5. axle seals (outers) if you want to replace them
6. brake fluid
7. PB blaster

Take your time and do it right. have fun .

George
Old 05-02-2004, 06:57 AM

custom ARB pannel might interest you

Another thought, I made a cutom pannel to house my ARB switches and a gauge inside my truck and mounted it inside the dash in the little opening on the bottom. I made it from a piece of stainless steal bought at the hardware store, cut it to size, cut the whole for the switches & gauge, then wrapped it with sticky-backed carbon fiber I bought on ebay ahile back. I also tricked out the gauge, and re-wired it with a bright blue LED instead of just being white, looks cool!! Whole unit probably cost $25 or so with the gauge. check out the pics, may give you some ideas. I am not making these for sale, just to make sure it's clear, its pretty easy to make on your own.

Here is the link to the previous thread on had on this
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/custom-pannel-arb-gauge-switches-pic-25982/

Ken
Old 05-02-2004, 08:19 AM

Very nice.

Gadget
Old 05-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

ok I'm driving up to Pa to have the rear locker put in and finish up the wiring for the extremair. His prices were way to reasonable, and I'm very slowly progressing on this to do this myself before Tellico next friday. So I have a list of things I have already, and things I need to get. Please let me know if I am missing anything, so that next monday the whole install goes smoothly and it doesn't get stopped b/c I'm missing a part or two. thanks:

Stuff I already have:
85/105 pressure switch
Air Manifold
ARB switch
100 amp relay
maxi fuse holder, w/2 80 amp fuses
one way check valve

Stuff I know I need to get:
1/8 BPT-1/4 NPT plugs x 2
Pressure Gauge

If there is something missing please let me know soon, so that I can order it before next mondays install.

Also those of you that mounted the tank in the spare tire location, can I get a picture of the mounting brakcets, or where you drilled the holes to attach it.

Also what does this water seperator look like? Where can I get it?
thanks again guys!

Last edited by sdastg1; 05-05-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

bump .. come on guys ... I only got 2-3 days.

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)