General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Ok I've gotten some parts together, I've found a guy who can put it in for me (and let me watch/assist). and most of all I can finally afford it. So hopefully this will turn into a mini write-up/outline with lots of pics for others to follow.

I got the hard mount Extremeair from Mike @ Extreme off road(thanks Mike). I have some pics of how the thing is mounted in the engine bay. Thanks to Macgyver, here on the board.

Now does someone else who has this compressor mounted in their rig, have pictures or a description on how they got it in there. I'm up for suggestions.

Also I'm not clear on a few points.
1) Does this compressor have a built in pressure switch? If not which one should I get, and where should I get it?
2) Also right now I just want to be able to run the lockers, and air up the tires. Do I need to get a tank now? Or will I be able to run the lockers with just the compressor?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 AM

You should have a small tank as a pressure reserve to run the lockers. The ARB compressor has a small tank built into it.

The compressor does not come with a pressure switch, relay or anything else you need to set it up.

I remember seeing something to adapt any compressor for use with ARBs and it was a pressure manifold to hold the pressure switch, and solenoids. I think I saw it on Slee Off Road. You might want to consider it.

I used my Extream Air yesterday to air up my tires after wheeling. It fills my 33s pretty fast. I did not have it hooked up properly and simply used jumper cables to connect it to the battery. I am going to hard wire it with a pressure control system and relay someday...

Gadget
Old 03-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

You need to have some stored air to run the locker. Any tank will do. You will also need 85/105 psi pressure switch. Viar makes a nice one. Tellico Offroad has a lot of viair and other air accessories here: www.tellico4x4.com.

Call ARB USA and have them send you the wiring diagram. I used the ARB switch with my viar compressor and they sent me the wiring diagram along with the $12 switch. You should also run the compressor using a relay. You might as well make the locker plug-and-play now and not have to re/undo any of the compressor lines/wiring later.

The solenoid comes with the locker, but you will have to come up with some sort of air manifold to hook it all up. Northern tool has a very cool 5 in 1 air manifold for only $15. Also, the solenoid is a 1/8 bpt fitting, so you will need a 1/8 bpt to npt adaptor. Viar has one of those as well.

Bajataco just finished this handy diagram for his compressor/locker setup: http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/attach...SCHEMATIC1.gif

Last edited by transalper; 03-08-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

ok, I read through some stuff.

The Slee air manifold already has two of the right size holes for the ARB air lockers, and the four extra holes for other things, and a place to attach the pressure gauge. The cost on this is $39. not too bad. Do you have a website for nothern tool, so that I can see what they have?

Also tank wise, I checked ou the website you had linked up, and I can either go with their 3, 1.75, or 1.5 gallon tank. Which one should I get, and what else should I be looking for in the tank. Also where did you guys mount the tank?

I also checked out wheelers off road, and they have a few kits available
click here to hopefully simply the process. I'll give them a call today as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

I think your biggest problem will be where to put the tank. Everyone I know who has a setup like that has a pickup and the tank is in the bed.

Northern Tool has some ggod deals but some stuff is a bit more. They even sell go-kart parts.

www.NorthernTool.com
Old 03-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I think your biggest problem will be where to put the tank. Everyone I know who has a setup like that has a pickup and the tank is in the bed.www.NorthernTool.com
So true. This place has a lot of tanks. The 1-gallon in around 4" diameter and 18" long - http://www.truckn-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1865
Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

ok so then where is everyone with a 4runner mounting the tanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
ok so then where is everyone with a 4runner mounting the tanks.
There's some room inside the front bumper. I put mine inside my ARB bumper:

Other folks are using their sliders to store air: http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/se...ompressor.html

Do a search and you'll find more info . . .

Last edited by transalper; 03-09-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

ok so here is where I'm at, I did a search, and the only helpful thread was when Ducky installed his OBA.

1. 85/105 pressure switch (heavy duty)
2. 1/8 BPT to 1/4 NPT plugs (how many of these do I need, I'm guessing two, one for both the lockers)
3. Pressure gauge
4. Air manifold (5 in 1) from nothern tool
5. ARB switch
6. Tank tank link Will this tank work for what I need, or should I be looking for something else?
7. Instead of getting everythign individually wheelers has one kit which includes all the following 85/105 pressure switch, illuminated dash panel gauge with built in on/off switch, 20' of red (positive) extension wire, 20' of poly air line, a 1/4 female air line quick disconnect click here

Does that about cover it?

Also I like your idea of mounting it inside the bumper, I'm going to try and find room inside the TJM tonight as well, also midiwall had his mounted somewhere in front of the front diff. I'll look there too
Thanks transalper!!

Last edited by sdastg1; 03-09-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

2. 1/8 BPT to 1/4 NPT plugs (how many of these do I need, I'm guessing two, one for both the lockers)

Yes, you will need two for two lockers. Wheeler has a "Air Locker Tank Fitting Kit" for $9.99 that includes one of them and a few other useful fittings.

6. Tank tank link Will this tank work for what I need, or should I be looking for something else?

That tank will work fine if you can find a place to mount it.

7. Instead of getting everythign individually wheelers has one kit which includes all the following 85/105 pressure switch, illuminated dash panel gauge with built in on/off switch, 20' of red (positive) extension wire, 20' of poly air line, a 1/4 female air line quick disconnect click here

That's a nice kit, but it may have a few things you don't really need. The dash gauge/switch is cool, but I prefer just the ARB switch in the dash and a simple dial gauge next to the compressor. That way you do not have to run an air line into the cab. A good auto/hardware store should have all the air fittings and electrical supplies you need. Wire is cheap. Radio shack has some cool fuse holders. The only other thing I can think of is a relay, which you can also get at the geek shack.

Also I like your idea of mounting it inside the bumper, I'm going to try and find room inside the TJM tonight as well, also midiwall had his mounted somewhere in front of the front diff. I'll look there too
Thanks transalper!!

You're welcome! Good luck and have fun with this project.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

ok the focus is back on this project. I've ordered the air manifold from Northern tools. I went to order the tank from the other site and they wanted $20 for shipping on a $32 tank.. So that puts me at over $50 just for the tank. Any other places I can get a one gallon tank for less then $30 shipped? thanks

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-05-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM

I don't know if my page can help. www.larsdennert.com/4runner/arb and www.larsdennert.com/4runner/compressor

1/8bsp =1/8npt you can pick up the adapters at any hardware store.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link to your site Lars. It will come in handy for the install. I just ordered a 2.5 gallon tank from central4wd for $62 shipped. I couldn't find any tanks locally, and the difference in price between a one and two gallon tank wasn't that much. Also I can mount the bigger tank where the spare tire used to be located. Time to gather the rest of the stuff.

EDIT: How much air hose line do I need? Or better yet what specifications do I need the hose line to be and where can I get it locally?

thanks!

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-07-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

ok I got all the other stuff 85/105 psi pressure switch, arb switch, relays, and fuses from Mike at Xtreme offroad. Everything should be here in a week.

Still need ideas where to get hose locally?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Menards, Home Depot, and the like will have air line.
ok I got all the other stuff 85/105 psi pressure switch, arb switch, relays, and fuses from Mike at Xtreme offroad. Everything should be here in a week.

Still need ideas where to get hose locally?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by transalper
Menards, Home Depot, and the like will have air line.
Yeah but what specs am I looking for? Or is just air hose line a universal size, rating etc?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

I just use standard air line to connect the compressor to the tank. Just get the right hose for the fittings. 1/4, 3/8, or whatever will work fine.
Yeah but what specs am I looking for? Or is just air hose line a universal size, rating etc?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

ok cool ... thanks again man!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM

Don't use standard 3/8 air hose at the compressor. It will melt. I used 3/8" Fuel line from an auto parts store. It can take the heat and the pressure. Make sure you are using a check valve at the compressor too.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
{just found this thread...}

Past a check valve, you should also install a filter/water trap. Lowe's and Home Depot carry them with standard 3/8" NPT fittings. Not a lot of people run them, but if you don't then you're pumping moisture into the ARB and your tires.

Up above, you mentioned my install... The compressor is actually a ViAir 450c which is a lot smaller than your ExtremeAir. But fwiw, these are pics of what I did:

(click pics for larger views)

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)