General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdastg1
bump .. come on guys ... I only got 2-3 days.
you got all the blank plugs and the drain cock and barbed fittings for the tank and your manifold...
Old 05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
you got all the blank plugs and the drain cock and barbed fittings for the tank and your manifold...
No I don't .. can I get those locally or do I have to go through wheelers
Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM

you should be able to get them at a hw store... I think i did have trouble getting them at home depot, so check with lowes first, or look for a local air supply shop...
Old 05-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

bump .. come on guys ... I only got 2-3 days.
First of all... your 4runner looks AWESOME!!! I love those alloys painted black - very nice. How is the paint holding up for you?

OK - regarding your grocery list, some more items to consider...
  • Drain valve for air tank (Campbell Hausfeld makes a nice one - part #GR004600AJ 1/4" Soft seat drain cock. You might need a brass bushing depending on the drain port size on your tank. These drains are avail. at Home Depot)
  • Adjustable mini pressure regulator (Campbell Hausfeld part#MP5148 - also avail. at Home Depot) It would be preferable to regulate the air pressure to your locker to about 85 psi (maybe not as critical with the rear locker as the front locker - but still beneficial)
  • In-line switch for compressor (you may already have this) This would be to allow you to shut off power to the compressor (over riding the press. switch) so if you have a leak, etc. your compressor won't keep running.

The water separator you asked about - I used a Campbell Hausfeld mini general purpose filter - part #MP5138 - also avail. at Home Depot. It has a clear collection cup with a schraeder valve to drain it.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Here is the mini filter

The mini pressure regulator
Old 05-05-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question, to install the ARB locker, do you have to re-set the gears or will it drop in? I thought you had to set up the gears and everything, but a post i just read made me think otherwise.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Also just noticed - how about all of your wire and wiring stuff - like connectors, shrink tube, split loom, cable ties, etc? Make sure you have all of that stuff - it adds up. Also I noticed that you don't have a gauge on your list - do you have a press. gauge to see what the tank press. is? The regulator (if you get the one I linked to) has a gauge on it that will show you the regulated press.

Do you have the misc. air line fittings for the air line between the compressor and your air tank? (barbed fittings, hose clamps, quick-disconnect for your OBA hose...)
Old 05-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Nope you absolutely have to re set your gears, there is no way to add any locker without re doingthe gears. If it was just drop in then people would nto be paying $250 to get an ARB installed. The ARB replaces the whole carrier, it's a very involved process.

Baja Taco, thanks for all the links and info. I've been keeping up with this page for my ARB install. I'll be going the meachanical route so I can avoid most of the wires, and get off alot cheeper, going so use an Toyota A/C unit, $50. Woot for cheep OBA, except I don't have A/C, :cry: , ah well 1st gens rock, the top comes off. But thanks for all the help, it's going to make my install go smooth as glass. Good luck sdastg1, post pics of everything once it's all in.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

sdastg1, the count-down continues! Looks to me like you are set. Just make sure you have a kit with extra wire, connectors, wrapping tape, etc.

Many of the optional accessory fittings (air gauge, regulator, water separator) can be added later, so there's no need to have everything in hand for the locker install.

Have fun!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

yup .. can't wait .. Monday morning I leave here at 6 am, to go get this stuff put in.

thanks for all the help guys, couldn't have even gotten this far without ya
Old 05-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Guess what?

I'm locked in the rear

gues what else?

My OBA set up is all ready to go too
Old 05-10-2004, 07:00 PM

Just wait till you get a chance to use that locker!

You will be amazed at how much more traction you get. You will be able to slowly walk over obsticals that others have to go through a lot of drama to get over.

Gadget
Old 05-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

well find out this Friday .. going to Tellico
Old 05-10-2004, 07:11 PM

Well, be careful down there. I hear that place likes to eat trucks.

Gadget
Old 05-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Old 05-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Old 05-11-2004, 02:54 PM

Well here I sit broken hearted,
Wanted lockers but only..... I got the wrong saying.
Im JEALOUS I hope I get my install done before my next trip. Congrats sdastg1 on the lockup. I hope minegoes as well or Ill be back again to get the info on the install guy.

AG
Old 05-11-2004, 02:58 PM

PS
It breaks my heart to see all those switches and wires I installed glowing, when there not hooked to a f**** *****
thing.

And how did you fit that compressor where you did?

AG
Old 05-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

The install was actually pretty funny .. we had the whole thing put back in within 5 hours. The third member is back in place, reconnected the drive shaft, pushed the rotors back in. refiled the diff ... like everything except the tires were on there.

Were then standing at the bench getting ready to make the brackets for the air tank. and he gets this funny look on his face, and I'm like "what?" ... hes like "we have to do it again" ... I was like "your ˟˟˟˟ting me .. why?!?!?" and he points to two metal clips (square shaped) sitting on the work bench. I was like ... "What are those for?" .. and hes like their part of the locker. So we jumped back in and we had the third removed, added the clip, and rebolted everything back together again in less then 30 min. I'm an expert at pulling rear third members now.

The compressor was easy to fit.. Just moved the ABS box, and a set of wires, and it slipped right in.

But yeah I'm glad its in .. can't wait to test it out this friday. Hope yours gets in soon too.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get this tank and what are the dimensions of it? I guess you got your locker in...

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)