General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive, but what clip things are you speaking of? The ones that lock the adjusting collars in place?

Gadget
Old 05-11-2004, 04:39 PM

A little off topic but does anybody know where i could get an ARB for a 1st gen? I have looked around in places where i can normally find what i need but havnt seen any lockers for me yet.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Where did you get this tank and what are the dimensions of it? I guess you got your locker in...
The tank is 2.5 gallons from central 4wd its like $60 shipped. It needs a drain plug I know .. but I'll try to get that within the next day or two
Old 05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
Impressive, but what clip things are you speaking of? The ones that lock the adjusting collars in place?

Gadget
Gadget I honestly don't know which clips they were. All I know is that there were two clips, and he said we needed to put one of them back in. They were square shaped, about a .5" in diameter. As soon as he said it, we literally dived back in and started taking things apart, so I didn't as any further questions.

Last edited by sdastg1; 05-11-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terky
A little off topic but does anybody know where i could get an ARB for a 1st gen? I have looked around in places where i can normally find what i need but havnt seen any lockers for me yet.

Thanks
If they make them, Reiders carries lockers for pretty good prices. If you plan on doing both at the same time, then there is a place in NC that will knock an extra $100 off the total price.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by terky

Thanks
The rear would get an RD01 assuming you have a 4wd (the first locker they ever made was for the Toy 8" 4Cyl) The front would vary depending on what kind of 1st Gen you have. If it is the 1st Gen truck in your sig, the front would also be an RD01.

Last edited by LarsDennert; 05-11-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

1st gen lockers, RD01, front and rear for you, Toy 8" all around, it's the easiest to find. You want some already set-up 3rds w/ ARBs try Pirate 4x4 I know there is a guy selling 2 on there right now. 5.29 gears, might be too tall for what you have right now, but plan for the future.

sdastg1, where is this place in NC that will make that deal, I live in NC so that would be nice. Is it only for 2 installs, in that case I'm no good, I have my 3rd sitting next to me. :cry:
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure they install them too .. but the deal was for the actual lockers themselves. I gotta head out right now .. I'll get you the number later today
Old 05-12-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I'm sure they install them too .. but the deal was for the actual lockers themselves. I gotta head out right now .. I'll get you the number later today
I like the way you painted your rims with gloss paint! Looks awesome. Your truck is sweet!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks man! Well see how it holds up this weekend
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Thanks man! Well see how it holds up this weekend

So what is your report? Tell us your impressions of the locker - is everything working good? Bugs to work out? How about the wheel paint? Did it hold up?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

The locker is awesome ... its like cheating ... before I had the locker I would avoid putting the tires on the rocks, and rather just try and go around them. Before I would always have someone outside spotting every little bump in the road. Now I was just hitting everything dead on. Three fourths of the time, I wouldn't even look for what was the best line to take. I could just pick any line I wanted and made it over every single time.

The transfer case skid that transalper posted up also helped tremendously. Some of the stuff that Chris (ravenrcr) hit on, I would just "scrap" right over. But that guy is one crazy driver! He drives like he just doesn't care. I gotta learn how to do that.

As far as the paint. There is one spot that got chewed up a bit. I got "rock rash". But other then that, I drove it through a mud pit, banged on pretty much every rock that I could find, and it held up beutifuly. It was funny every time we would stop for lunch or at the end of the day at least 3-4 people would come over to the truck and run their fingers across the rims to see if the paint was still there! I some pics of the stuff I put it through (some are on the SE4RJ pic thread) ... but I'm having problems with my laptop. I'll post up some "after" pics this weekend when I clean her up. But righ tnow I'm having too much fun running a muddy truck up and down the streets of georgetown.

I can't wait to get a front locker now!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet that is awsome, glad to hear everything went good for you there in Tellico, wish I could have been there with everyone. I will be using this page extensivly when I start my OBA and ARB install. I'll be going with a York or A/C compressor for my air supply, I don't have A/C so there is plently of room to hook everything up. This will be a great page for anyone that needs ARB help, good pics. tons of info and insight from the people running them, awsome stuff.

Is there anyway you could write up a list of everything you finally had to get all the air systems working and where you found everything, I know that would help me and I'm sure others when they're ready to step up and get locked.

Last edited by Stump1883; 05-19-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

I think almost everything is listed there. The only things that are not are all the little couplings you need to attach to the air manifold, and also the plugs you need for the ait tank. and those will vary by which air manifold and which tank you go with it. But other then that, all the switches, pressure regulators, blah blah are all there. Almost everything you can get from mike @ extreme off road. But man did all the little stuff add up. I thik putting in the compressor, and then all the little things to go with it was about $500-$550. Then add in the cost of the locker, and install.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Great report!! Sounds like another happy customer I'm glad it all worked for you.

Yea, I saw a bunch of the pics of your rig that are floating around. Very nice. The wheels look great.

Congrats on the locker!

Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

BTW, I removed the schematic that Jay referred to earlier in this thread, as it became obsolete. Here is the schematic that I ended up using...
Attached Thumbnails Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)-locker-schematic1.gif  
Old 06-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I WAS going to find a complete rear axle with E-locker and do a swap, then later add an ARB up front...

However, now I have the opportunity to get a RD23 WITH compressor, tire inflation kit, and heavy duty air line direct from ARB for $500. I'm getting that deal since they want to use my rig in their catalog. I KNOW that I'm not passing this deal up, but I'm wondering what else I'll need. I'm sure the compressor comes with the wiring kit and switch - same for the locker. I know the ARB compressor comes with a resovior, but is it big enough???

I'm planning on $200 to set up the gears unless it's really easy. I've never messed around with gears or transmissions, but I do have an engineering degree. That has to count for something. I'm not scared of wrenching, but I don't want to screw things up... Is the backlash easy enough for me to do myself or should I just cough up the dough and let a pro do it?

Also, I'm going to see how much for an RD90 while they're at it for the front, but I've read that it's a beast to put in... true or not?

Last edited by bamachem; 06-03-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
I WAS going to find a complete rear axle with E-locker and do a swap, then later add an ARB up front...

However, now I have the opportunity to get a RD23 WITH compressor, tire inflation kit, and heavy duty air line direct from ARB for $500. I'm getting that deal since they want to use my rig in their catalog. I KNOW that I'm not passing this deal up, but I'm wondering what else I'll need. I'm sure the compressor comes with the wiring kit and switch - same for the locker. I know the ARB compressor comes with a resovior, but is it big enough???

I'm planning on $200 to set up the gears unless it's really easy. I've never messed around with gears or transmissions, but I do have an engineering degree. That has to count for something. I'm not scared of wrenching, but I don't want to screw things up... Is the backlash easy enough for me to do myself or should I just cough up the dough and let a pro do it?

Also, I'm going to see how much for an RD90 while they're at it for the front, but I've read that it's a beast to put in... true or not?
That's a sweet deal. I'd say do it. The rear isn't too bad to install. The compresser comes with a harness. The tank is matched with the capability of the pump. The locker comes with the solenoid. Here are a couple of articles on the front.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...ifs_airlocker/
http://www.larsdennert.com/4runner/arb
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/arb_locker/

Last edited by LarsDennert; 06-03-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

This is what you should do ... sell the ARB compressor for $200, install the reaar locker. Buy a extremeair compressor for $300. then later on down the road when you've got some cash. regear, and install the front locker.

the locker install is easy once you've seen it done. before that, I crawled under there many times, and it confused the hell out of me. If your still going to do it yourself, remove the third yourself, and take it to have it put in, that will save you some cash as well.

good luck man .. and whatever you do, keep Brian away from the install! j/k
Old 06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

also don't forget its not just gears you have to purchase, its also the master install kits .. their a little over a $100 a piece, plus some bearings

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)