General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Colorado emissions questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Colorado emissions questions

So my truck was hit a few months ago and I'm dealing with insurance. During this time, I stopped driving the truck and my registration is now expired.

Since it's expired, I need to get an emissions test in my county in order to renew my registration. I have a few questions.

Is the Colorado emissions test pretty strict? Will they perform a visual inspection on the engine or just test the truck on the dynometer? I have a CEL light on for an unplugged TPS (which I'm going to adjust this weekend) and for an EGR temperature sensor code. I'm going to be replacing the EGR valve in a week or so too. But even with this, it'll be iffy. I'm more worried about the visual inspection because I don't have a muffler (cherrybomb) and the exhaust has some cracks in it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cherry bomb is fine for a muffler and i would just pull the efi fuse before pulling in for a bit then pull in and test before light comes back on or just pull the bulb out if it wont stay off that long. might have high hc's with egr disabled.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM

The EGR seems fine to me. It tested okay, but when I was putting it back in I cracked the cast iron around one of the bolt holes that secures it in place, so it might not be sealing properly. Also, the threads in the EGR temperature sensor that screw into the back of the intake are stripped, so it's probably not forming a tight seal.

I'm borrowing my brother's ram charger for the next few weeks and hopefully I'll be able to get these fixed.

Will the cracks in the exhaust matter? There's a few cracks in front of both O2 sensors. and I think one in the back.

By the way, if anyone has any exhaust setups for sale in the colorado area (I'm willing to travel if the price is right) I'd be interested in buying the parts. I basically need from the manifold to the rear of the truck. I'm not concerned about muffler/cat, as I'll buy those new if needed.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 12-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Another question that's sort of related. Can a muffler shop fabricate an exhaust setup for me from the manifold back, and will they be able to incorporate both O2 sensors?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 22Re manifold cheap
I am in Golden
Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had emissions done on Monday and they were checking everything-- counting Cats, looked under the hood at the superchager, checking for 02 sensors

I dont think a vehicle can pass with a CEL on. I know they check to make sure it comes on when the vehicle is started, but it has to go off, if I remember correctly

Yes any decent muffler shop can build and exhaust.
I used to use Might Muffler in lakewood but they moved to westy. Good guys and very reasonable, have also heard good things about Buds in Denver
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea there is an awesome muffler shop up on sante fe and close to mississippi. the guy that runs it is chuck and can do some awesome work.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by metalhed
I had emissions done on Monday and they were checking everything-- counting Cats, looked under the hood at the superchager, checking for 02 sensors

I dont think a vehicle can pass with a CEL on. I know they check to make sure it comes on when the vehicle is started, but it has to go off, if I remember correctly

Yes any decent muffler shop can build and exhaust.
I used to use Might Muffler in lakewood but they moved to westy. Good guys and very reasonable, have also heard good things about Buds in Denver
I dug around a lot more on Air Care Colorado's website and as of 2003 they can't fail you for a CEL, but they note it in the logs so if it fails they can give you a reason why. But they won't outright fail you for it.

I'm needing a complete exhaust, so I guess I'll check around a few local shops. They're going to have to cut the current one off and weld a new one in place right behind the manifold.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Exhaust Pros in Commerce City to do exhaust on my truck a couple of times. Just had them finish the cat back a few weeks ago. Cheap shop, nice guys, great work. I work right by the Exhaust Pros here on Huron & 115th Ave, and they are completely unpredictable. I called them for a catalytic converter quote, and they told me something ridiculous like $200 just to weld it on. Then when I took it over there the guy said the entire exhaust lower assembly would have to come off for him to do it. I took it to the one in Commerce city and they charged me $60 to put in a cat I bought, and they had zero problem doing it while still on the truck. I have a feeling the guy at the other shop may have been on acid or something.

Couple weeks ago, they did the entire cat back for $195 with a new high flow muffler. Sounds awesome now.

And yes, as you now know, they can't fail you for a CEL.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm working on fixing the TPS and fixing the stripped threads in the EGR temp sensor and then that should take care of the CEL, and next I'm getting the exhaust replaced. Then I'm off to get an emissions test. Should be at least another month before I get this corrected.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ricky
I've used Exhaust Pros in Commerce City to do exhaust on my truck a couple of times. Just had them finish the cat back a few weeks ago. Cheap shop, nice guys, great work. I work right by the Exhaust Pros here on Huron & 115th Ave, and they are completely unpredictable. I called them for a catalytic converter quote, and they told me something ridiculous like $200 just to weld it on. Then when I took it over there the guy said the entire exhaust lower assembly would have to come off for him to do it. I took it to the one in Commerce city and they charged me $60 to put in a cat I bought, and they had zero problem doing it while still on the truck. I have a feeling the guy at the other shop may have been on acid or something.

Couple weeks ago, they did the entire cat back for $195 with a new high flow muffler. Sounds awesome now.

And yes, as you now know, they can't fail you for a CEL.
I'm going to check out exhaust pros and then the exhaust shop here in fort collins and see which is better. Which exhaust pros shop location did you take it to?

I'm basically looking for new pipes from the manifold back to the muffler tip. I'll need a new catalytic converter and a new muffler and all new pipes. I've got a bit of money saved and hopefully the insurance money will pay out soon and I can get my new exhaust.