General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

About to drive 1200 miles from CA to NM. Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
About to drive 1200 miles from CA to NM. Any Tips?

I am about to move from Chico, CA to Edgwood, NM in a week. I believe its 1200 miles. I have an 87 4runner with 228,xxx miles with a rebuild 2000 miles ago. It seems to be running good except an exaust leak and a CEL code 12 I gotta figure out.

But besides the normal checking my oil and coolant levels, what should I check and think about during and before my trip?

I am going to be driving at night though some very hot and desolate desert once I get past LA. ( im stopping in Pheonix for some rest at my grandmas, then continuing to NM). I am bringing a six gallon container of water, and a five gallon container of gas, and all my tools will be with me. I have extra oil and coolant.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just make sure your temp gauge is working right.
And your speedo. lol dont want any tickets!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Now it has been years since I have been any where near a desert. I rather like trees and water.

If you just replaced the engine I would hope all the belts and hoses were replaced then. It sucks to get stranded just because of a simple belt or hose failure.

You might think to check tire pressure just for the trip it would not hurt to run it just a little higher then normal. If you run them on the low side.

Have a good trip
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beer money, gas money, engine oil of any kind, and maybe a new gasket for that exhaust leak. Have a good time!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure CB works. Cell phone and charger.
If you make long trips regularly, Triple A is worth the membership fees.
Paper map. Spare change and cash. Snacks. Water. Etc.
Drive plan with friends and family.
Plan to be broken down.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Plan to be broken down.

:wabbit2:

Ha! So true....

I think most covered it here, but definitely get AAA if you don't already have it....you may want to get the premium package with 100 miles of free towing (you can probably downgrade after this trip (5 miles of free towing).

Coolant sensor - definitely keep an eye on this one. If you're worried about leaks maybe bring some JB weld and brake parts cleaner, just in case.

You have the tools to change out a spare on the road? Bring them.

Spare headlight maybe - just in case....they are cheap.

that's all I have.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM

Great tips, thanks guys! its definitely going to be a hell of an adventure. Im pretty sure my temp gauge works(I hope, its only told me i was getting hot once) I have a spare, a plug kit and air compressor and the neccesarry tools to change it.

I have USAA road side assist. Thats actually a damn good idea to upgrade my service package with more free towing miles just for this trip!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 PM

Oh and yes, my dog is going to be my co pilot. He's actually a hell of a navigator!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Now it has been years since I have been any where near a desert. I rather like trees and water.

If you just replaced the engine I would hope all the belts and hoses were replaced then. It sucks to get stranded just because of a simple belt or hose failure.

You might think to check tire pressure just for the trip it would not hurt to run it just a little higher then normal. If you run them on the low side.

Have a good trip
Thank you. I actually havent gotten around to it, but I have all three new belt in my garage. I will through them on there before I leave. as for tires, im running my 30x950's at about 37 psi
Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 87wheels
Beer money, gas money, engine oil of any kind, and maybe a new gasket for that exhaust leak. Have a good time!
hahaha, beer money. I wish. I used to do that when I toured with my band. just sitt in the back of the passenger van and drink beer on I5.

unfortunately the leak is because the pipe that bolts to my manifold is cracked. I might be able to weld it up before I leave
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 AM

All of thee above.

Don't forget copy of reg. and ins card.Just road tripped from Milwaukee to Phoenix.Cops r picky now about that stuff.Btw, Arizona cops suck.Would bring as many spare parts as i could take. Driving at night you really have to watch for critters. Good luck, bring some 5 hour energy for your copilot.haha
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All good advice. The only thing I'd add is to be sure you have contact information for folks along the way in case something happens. Case in point there was a fellow on here that broke down in Albuquerque on the way to Cali (I think), I gave him my information and when he contacted me I went and picked him up at the dealership where his rig was and got him to a rental place so he could continue the trip. He was under some time constraints and had to leave in a hurry.

Having said that I'll pm you my phone number so if something happens and I'm closer to you than anyone else you can call me and I'll do what I can to help. Oh and be sure and let me know when you arrive in Edgewood and we'll hook up for some Toyota talk and maybe some camping/wheeling trips.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ToyBoy Twink
Don't forget copy of reg. and ins card.Just road tripped from Milwaukee to Phoenix.Cops r picky now about that stuff.Btw, Arizona cops suck.Would bring as many spare parts as i could take. Driving at night you really have to watch for critters. Good luck, bring some 5 hour energy for your copilot.haha

just my luck, my wallet was stolen out of my truck friday night. I have never been so dissapointed before now. luckily I only had 20 bucks in there and my debit card was inside my house. but my ID, insurance cards and a bunch of business cards for leads and referances for jobs were in there:/ I am leaving tomorrow evening to avoid the heat, now I gotta go to DMV first thing and get a temp drivers license peice of paper just to have something/anything.

Oh and my last paycheck from my work too. I hope they can just cancell that check and mail me a new one, other wise I am going to make the bosses life hell!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
All good advice. The only thing I'd add is to be sure you have contact information for folks along the way in case something happens. Case in point there was a fellow on here that broke down in Albuquerque on the way to Cali (I think), I gave him my information and when he contacted me I went and picked him up at the dealership where his rig was and got him to a rental place so he could continue the trip. He was under some time constraints and had to leave in a hurry.

Having said that I'll pm you my phone number so if something happens and I'm closer to you than anyone else you can call me and I'll do what I can to help. Oh and be sure and let me know when you arrive in Edgewood and we'll hook up for some Toyota talk and maybe some camping/wheeling trips.

Good luck.
thanks man, I really appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 AM

That really sucks, sorry to hear that. Why can't u still get your Ck, they didn't get your bank card. Hope everything works out.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 AM

normally I have direct deposit, but my last check they gave me was a hard copy, i dont know why. that was in my wallet when it was stolen. I dont know, I just dont see how a company could just tell me Im SOL when the check isnt even going to be cashed....
so im just hoping for the best

Last edited by skoti89; 06-27-2011 at 01:40 AM.