Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Wet black soot from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wet black soot from exhaust

I have a 1986 pickup with the 22r, the car runs really well and has what I think is decent power, but I noticed there is black water sort of spraying out of the exhaust when I revved it while idling on multiple occasions . The car was warm the first time I noticed if I remember correctly. It’s enough to actually stain the concrete when dry. I’m new to the Toyota world and bought the car about a week ago. Any ideas as to what I may be in for?
Thank you
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Are you losing coolant?
With engine cold and radiator cap removed, start engine, let it run to operating temperature. Any splashing more more that that caused by vibration? When thermostat opens, you should see a little more movement in the coolant but not violent splashing.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM

I have done that, I can see the Coolant moving nice and smooth. Zero splashing. When I get home today from my commute I’m going to check and see if it’s doing it while warm to make sure. I’ll check my coolant level and see if it’s gone down since I looked a few days ago . It was up to the top last I checked
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI_YOTATO
... I’ll check my coolant level and see if it’s gone down since I looked a few days ago . It was up to the top last I checked
I like to write date last topped-off cold on my coolant reservoir/overflow tank.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Just checked, no coolant loss since i checked 150+ miles ago.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:11 PM

You don’t note where you live, if it’s on the cold side, and you park outside, you may have condensation in your exhaust system.

Bud

Last edited by Budman1; 04-19-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: sp
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Alright so after driving home, about 50 miles +/- and it is not spraying anything out on my driveway even after a rev, so I’m thinking It’s probably alright if I’m not loosing coolant. Correct me if I’m wrong. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I think budman might be on to something if its only doing it at cold start up.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 PM

I live in north Arizona, it’s chilly in the mornings but the truck is garage kept. Still chilly in the garage. We get snow so it gets pretty cold.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

Usually black soot like that is a sign that the engine is running rich.

There is a sight glass on the front of the carburetor that shows the fuel level in the carburetor fuel bowl. The fuel level should be right in the middle when the engine is running and the truck is on level ground. Is the fuel level in the middle of the sight glass on your truck?

Does this only happen when the engine is cold and/or shortly after the engine warms up?

If the above is true, the Auxiliary Acceleration Pump diaphragm may be ruptured and allowing fuel to flow into the vacuum lines.

This may or my not be your problem, but is common enough to be worth checking.

The Auxiliary Acceleration Pump (AAP) lets more fuel squirt into the carburetor when accelerating with a cold engine. The system turns off once the engine warms up.

You can do a quick check on this system by starting your truck and let it run for several seconds. Shut the engine off and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line going into the Auxiliary Acceleration Pump. There should be no fuel in the vacuum line. This isn't a definitive test, but is relatively quick.

The Auxiliary Acceleration Pump diaphragm lives on the side of the carburetor that faces the engine, just below the fuel line entering the carburetor. You will need to remove the air cleaner to get to it.

Labeled Picture from this YotaTech thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ite-up-164472/

The following 2 users liked this post by old87yota:
SomedayJ (04-20-2019), Suttree (05-12-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Usually black soot like that is a sign that the engine is running rich.

There is a sight glass on the front of the carburetor that shows the fuel level in the carburetor fuel bowl. The fuel level should be right in the middle when the engine is running and the truck is on level ground. Is the fuel level in the middle of the sight glass on your truck?

Does this only happen when the engine is cold and/or shortly after the engine warms up?

If the above is true, the Auxiliary Acceleration Pump diaphragm may be ruptured and allowing fuel to flow into the vacuum lines.

This may or my not be your problem, but is common enough to be worth checking.

The Auxiliary Acceleration Pump (AAP) lets more fuel squirt into the carburetor when accelerating with a cold engine. The system turns off once the engine warms up.

You can do a quick check on this system by starting your truck and let it run for several seconds. Shut the engine off and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line going into the Auxiliary Acceleration Pump. There should be no fuel in the vacuum line. This isn't a definitive test, but is relatively quick.

The Auxiliary Acceleration Pump diaphragm lives on the side of the carburetor that faces the engine, just below the fuel line entering the carburetor. You will need to remove the air cleaner to get to it.

Labeled Picture from this YotaTech thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ite-up-164472/

wow! Thanks for all the info I’ll check the glass and see what the level is at. Thank you