Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

toyota with horrible idle surge

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota with horrible idle surge

Hi everybody, I have a 93 toyota pickup with a 22re and a couple of weeks ago the idle started surging really bad once it got warmed up. Initially I thought it was a vacuum leak or my egr valve or something. Looked around for a vacuum leak and never found one so I started to remove my intake so I could get to my egr valve. Once I got it off I tested it and the diafram moved up and down and held vacuum so im pretty sure that its still good. Then I cleaned all the carbon out of my intake and throttle body, there was a ton of it in there, then I slapped it back together and started it only to figure out it still idled high and started to surge once warm

Then I decided to check my timing which was off so I pulled my valve cover to discover my timing chain was pretty loose and im assuming it slipped a tooth or two. I then tore into it and replaced my timing chain, guides, and tensioner, I also replaced my oil pan gasket and water pump since I was there, put it all back toghether and started it up and it ran a little better but still not right, so I then turned down the idle screw almost as far as it can go and got it idleing around 900 so still a little high. I then took it around the blockand it ran great till it started to warm up and then i lost all my power in 1st and 2nd it became extremly sluggish

At this point I went back to the drawing board, figured it had to be some sort of sensor, so I started testing some of them, started with my o2 sensor because I initially had an engine code of 25 (o2sensor). I tested it with a multi meter and got a resistane of 6.7 ohms, which I think its supposed to be around 6.4 at 68degrees but its a little colder than that in washington so I think resistance should be little higher in cooler temps. I then checked my tps with multi meter and feeler guages like my chilton said to at first I had no continuity so I adjusted it to what the book said and then I had continuity when I should and none where there shouldnt be so belive I adjusted this right

Went to start it and still the same thing runs like a champ when its cold and then loses all its power once it starts to warm up. Also once it starts to warm ive had it mildly surge for just a second or two at stop lights then it goes away but is still guttless

Now im getting three different dignostic codes 25 (o2 sensor) which I had from the start, but also getting 41 (tps) and 52(knock sensor) so at this Point i really dont know what direction to head what to mess with or what the problem may be. If anybody knows or has an idea I would love to hear them and would be greatly appreciated.