Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Spartan Locker concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spartan Locker concerns

I had a set of factory 4.88s in my Solid axle '84. Well the rear started growling (carrier bearings) and I needed some 4.88s fast. So the local (hour away) 4x4 shop had some Yukon 4.88s and I figured I would throw in a lunchbox locker since it was being worked on. So I get the Yukon 4.88s, and a Spartan locker. It seemed to be set up well, good looking patterns on the ring and the pinion. And the gears are nice and quiet. But this Spartan sounds like it's going to blow my diff apart... I get the typical ratcheting around corners and such, but as I come to a turning stop, occasionally this thing will load (you can feel it stopping you), and then BANG!! It unloads and rings through the driveshaft and axles. It's like its shock loading my axles and driveshaft. Violently....

I've read some places that it's normal, others say it should ratchet click only. Any input from you professionals?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Hmmmmm....it should only load up under torque loads meaning under throttle
Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
That's normal.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 normal.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:57 PM

That's what I understood also, Logan. But say I come to a stop, to back into a parking spot, as soon as I stop to reverse, it goes BANG! and may even do it twice as I start to back up. I try and coast while turning as much as possible, but it's difficult when you come to a stop light/sign and you're turning left or right... Another thing is that it's not consistent, but it seems to always happen a slow speeds, i.e. parking lot maneuvers, etc...
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Mine does it bad in parking lots, gas stations also. The unloading bang, is loud enough that people notice and stare. I defiantly can't sneak up on anybody on pavement
Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 PM

Another thing I noticed as I was reinstalling the 3rd and axles, there is a good bit of play in the turning of the axles before it moves the driveshaft (I can rotate axle in place maybe 15-20 degrees before driveshaft moves). As if the backlash is super loose, except the pinion and ring gear were tight to each other. And the axles are tight to the locker splines. (I slid the third over each axle to verify they lined up before I bolted the third up to the housing, and there was no noticeable slop between axles and locker splines.). Which leaves me to think there is some slop between the locker teeth maybe?

Last edited by rokblok; 02-13-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Its all normal, The play, The wrachiting and binding.
He may have left the shims in and it tightens it up a little more.

I intend to replace mine back to the open or look for a Supra LSD, Maybe just wield it, There is just way to much play and that breaks things
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rokblok
That's what I understood also, Logan. But say I come to a stop, to back into a parking spot, as soon as I stop to reverse, it goes BANG! and may even do it twice as I start to back up. I try and coast while turning as much as possible, but it's difficult when you come to a stop light/sign and you're turning left or right... Another thing is that it's not consistent, but it seems to always happen a slow speeds, i.e. parking lot maneuvers, etc...
Hey rokblok
I never thought to look in the Newbie section for your post As I mentioned in the email, the clicking in the turns is perfectly normal.....NOT in a straight line. The Spartan is the only lunchbox style locker that you have to leave the sidegear thrust washers out. I suspect the shop you took it to may not have read the instructions and never did a Spartan before(and left the thrust washers in place). Yes, it might blow up your diff if you keep driving on it that way......or maybe chip a tooth off. Ken

PS-------My dad has an 02 Jeep TJ. I installed Spartans in both ends(D44 rear) and it clicks in the turns but is totally silent on a 20 mile straight-away. NEVER has made an unusual noise driving straight or in parking lots and I have driven it myself numerous times and that is why I think so highly of the Spartan. The Spartan seems unusually well behaved for a lunch locker.....Aussie is also well behaved.
The Aussie is a good one also but does not have the super big pins like Spartan.....and the Aussie you still have to use the thrust washers and make the 2 different measurements to make sure it is in spec...and if it's not in spec you have to order thicker sidegear thrust washers. With the Spartan, you make the one measurement and verify the driver to center pin distance is .145~.170" range......and I don't know what you do if it happens to fall outside that range but that has never happened yet.

Make sure your rear tires have equal tire pressure too.

Last edited by ZUK; 02-14-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM

I have a Spartan in the front of my Runner and have never heard a peep out of it. I don't drive it on the street though, esp not in 4wd. I would still recommend this locker over about any other lunchbox out there!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM

Well I finally got ahold of the shop that built it. They swear they removed the thrust washers. They said they were literally looking at them as we were on the phone. They explained to me that the banging is normal. The area where the cross pin resides is oval shaped and the cross pin is round. The locking function is achieved when power is appliedand the cross pin is forced into to smaller part of the oval, which forces the drivers to lock. And sometimes the cross pin can bind in there and suddenly release when the axles stop turning. Does this make sense?

Since I am running plain dino 80-? generic oil, for break-in, would switching to a slicker synthetic help the cross pin to release easier and help prevent some of the unloading?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
After break in switch to synthetic after break in. Should quiet down a little. Also lockers are noisy. Some are quiet but most are noisy. At least that's my experience. Do you have someone local that you know that has the same setup? If so maybe drive theirs. Drive as many as possible to compare if you think it's wrong. But honestly you just get used to them in a few 3-5 weeks and then you actually miss them when you don't have one anymore.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by rokblok
Well I finally got ahold of the shop that built it. They swear they removed the thrust washers. They said they were literally looking at them as we were on the phone. They explained to me that the banging is normal. The area where the cross pin resides is oval shaped and the cross pin is round. The locking function is achieved when power is appliedand the cross pin is forced into to smaller part of the oval, which forces the drivers to lock. And sometimes the cross pin can bind in there and suddenly release when the axles stop turning. Does this make sense?

Since I am running plain dino 80-? generic oil, for break-in, would switching to a slicker synthetic help the cross pin to release easier and help prevent some of the unloading?
My dad's Jeep is using a generic oil and no noises. I understand that you have a manual tranny and those are not as "friendly" as autos are but if the bangs and snaps are as bad as you say then I tend to think you need to remove the 3rd from the housing. Since yours is just a 2pinion case you should be able to see if the thrust washer is behind the one driver. That's the only way to know for sure.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 AM

I believe its a 4 pinion case, since they're V6 thirds. Isn't that correct?
The carrier bolts together I believe.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM
ZUK

Ok...better yet. The V6 case has visual access to look at both thrust washers locations.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Ken, how do the drivers engage? Is it with the cross pins being in an oval and being forced to the small area, which locks the drivers out?
If this is the case...
I believe that my cross pin is getting stuck, and then being forced in the opposite direction (to the other side of oval), as the drivers try to ratchet. There is just so much play, it sounds like it's reverbing back through the R&P and into the driveshaft.

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 AM

I recently installed a spartan locker as per Zuk's suggestion. I will tell you this, I have a V6 3rd gen 4Runner with a 5 speed. I can definitely hear the locker click when coasting around corners. It sometimes doesn't want to unload for a while even after I throw it in neutral and I made sure I look out the thrust washers. I will then violently unload and cause a lot of noise (I get a LOT of looks because of it). But for the most part, it is perfectly behaved. Freeway driving it acts just like an open diff. I only notice it in parking lots and gas stations. I always have to make sure I have a run way in front of me so I can build speed then coast around and let it unload. For reference, I run AMSOIL full synthetic 75-90 I believe.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Yes, mine behaves fine when driving straight, and ratchets around corners if I'm coasting. It's just that massive bang and slight vehicle jarring that accompanies it that is freaking me out.

And I do get the slight push toward the left or right when I accelerate hard. No big deal. I just wsh I knew exactly what was going on in there so could possibly prevent it or be prepared to replace something when the 3rd falls out...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM

^ the pulling while accelerating could be different tire pressures. Even a few psi difference could make a difference.
If your worried about it send the whole 3rd to ZUK and get him to check it out.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM

I was planning on doing that, but I have to get the factory 4.88s some new bearings and seal. I use my truck for work (all over he Southeast) and can't be without a diff for a couple weeks.

I will be sending him the 4.56 diff I have, to install the TJM Prolocker and Nitro 4.88s, which will reside in the rear. And the Spartan can go up front.

Quick Reply: Spartan Locker concerns