Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Reliable mech needed in ATL area

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reliable mech needed in ATL area

hi y'all,

My two spine injuries are really acting up these last few weeks, I don't know what the hell to do about it, but meanwhile I've got stuff needed on this '88 runner that I can't do cuz i can't work lying on my back or leaning over an engine for longer than a minute.

If anyone can refer me to someone in the area, or volunteer their expertise, I would appreciate it signficantly. I pay cash, don't mind picking up parts first, very easy to work with. I just need someone trustworthy that knows the truck. I'm sick of taking it to places that gouge me $100 for a diagnose then can't tell me what's really wrong without replacing every associated part. Too many bad shops in this town that charge way too damn much.

Here's what I need done:

1. Brake master cyl. just started leaking under the reservoir. Do I need a whole m/c? Should I upgrade now? Complete brake check needed, possible I need some pads/etc.

2. Clutch? Won't go into first when stopped, unless you kill the engine first. I must downshift to first while still rolling to get it to slip in. All other forward gears shift fine. Reverse grinds 80% of the time. I just replaced a leaking clutch master but couldn't do the clutch slave underneath, I just couldn't stand it. I may not have bled it well enough, or it could need a clutch, or this slave cyl, or all of the above.

3. Shakes over 65mph. (not felt in the steering wheel) I just had these tires rebalanced and they say they balance true, but I'm feeling some moderate shake on the highway. bearings? shock mounts? Also, previous owner put some homemade-lookin' shackles on the rear leaf that look about 6" long. They're kinda scary looking, i'd rather have the leafs redone right. A whole suspension check out is needed.

4. Idle sticks at the intake flap. I remedy this by lifting the pedal with my toe, and it drops right down. But its annoying as crap when trying to get into reverse quickly for a K-turn or something. I bought the can of Seafoam, just haven't been able to put it in through the intake yet. I can't lean forward over the motor for even the few minutes it takes to do it.

5. Timing chain check? All the reading i've done about these things snapping has made me paranoid.

I am frustrated to no end that I can't sleep or sit or do anything for a long time without my back just being a $#*&%!!! Some days I just want to drive straight off a cliff to make it stop aching. But then I'd wreck a really nice truck, so I endure. This truck I just got is the only thing that puts a smile on my face anymore, so I'd like to get these little things taken care of so I can try to enjoy a weekend once in a while. It figures right after i get the truck my back just goes berzerk and I can't do anything.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/imag...es/headpop.gif

If anyone can offer any help, I'd really love to hear from ya.
I'm also shopping for a new mattress, so if anyone's recently bought something they really like, i'll take that referral too.

thanx in advance to everyone, keep on truckin'

peace
Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know of an awesome guy in cusseta GA, but thats a ways away from you
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
google maps says 2.5 hours away - that is a little far, but i appreciate the response.

have a good day today!