Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Paint logistics/questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint logistics/questions

So, I'm still looking for a longbed first-gen, and found one that looks really straight, but about half the cab looks like this:

No holes, no flaking, and I want to keep it that way for a while; the way it is, it looks like one night in a Norcal fog and it'll crumble to a dirty red dust before my eyes.

More here: http://imageshack.us/g/408/picture1401d.jpg/

I was planning on painting the whole rig sometime later, not right away. That paint layer is going to be done thoroughly and properly. But for now, I just want to keep it from rusting while I work on the mechanicals, don't really care how it looks. Thing is, I don't want to create more work later, having to remove the first stopgap coating to do a proper final one. What should I do? I'd prefer a brush/roll-on paint/primer/sealer/whatever over a rattlecan, and can't spray with a compressor (live next to too many sensitive noses). Minimal surface prep is a plus, but if this first layer doesn't have to be removed for a well-done paintjob later, I'll put in more work at the start.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I highly recommend this stuff.

RUSTY METAL PRIMER

I use it in the spray can.

RUSTY METAL PRIMER SPRAY
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Very nice find...Congrats...!!!

Looks like they did a very good job with the new windshield & rubber...
Looks like it need a lot of careful sanding...Good luck...!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I can take the whole thing down to bare metal if I want to, but that's a lot of work that I don't want to do right away. Sounds like it'd be a lot easier to do a quick clean-n-sand, then use some rust converter stuff like this Rusto product?

Originally Posted by MudHippy
I highly recommend this stuff.

RUSTY METAL PRIMER
You've used it? How hard is it to remove later? I plan on doing a 2-part urethane or epoxy primer for the final paint job; how's this stuff compare?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I used it as a primer coat when I painted my frame. And I actually intend on "painting" my entire truck's body with just that product. Several coats of it. That's when I get done with the rest of the body work it needs, and before it gets set back on the frame. Flat brown head to toe. Don't see too many of those around. Not like the other "I'm lazy as hell" flat grey or flat black jobs that are dime-a-dozen.

It's just like any other primer for use on metal that I've used as far as removal. Thinner and easier to remove than paint.

But, I'm no professional autobody painter or nothin'. So maybe you're asking the wrong guy for comparisons on different paints/primers. I've used the grey stuff and this brown stuff. I think I like this brown stuff better. It's certainly more versatile in that it doesn't require as clean a surface as most primers to work effectively.

Well, that's all I got...

Good luck!

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello All From S.C.,

I'm no profession painter either, but of course I've got a few hours of backyard/sideyard painting experience on multiple trucks and motorcycles.

My Father and I ended up doing the roof, hood, and rims of his 90' 22RE with Duplicolor's spray-on bed-liner product. It's not gummy like herculiner, and flakes off with about 2 years worth of sun/freeway speed... BUT, it covered up all the problems he had after a little prep time....

I'd say, Wire brush the MESS outa' the top and A-Pillars, prime once, Spray something on there, and go for about 1 year while courting professional body work....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...5_pri_detl.jpg

^there's the product^