Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie Needs advice on an engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Pull the motor/have the crank turned bearingand rod caps checked/have the block checked/depending on what it needs, either re-ring and bearing it or WHATEVER is needed(maybe a bore over, crank to 10-20(just hypothetical, ...WHATEVER it needs, which I'm guessing would be at least a LIL taken off), order appropriate bearings accoringly, ring set).... and while it's out being checked(the lower end).... have the head checked as well. At the very least, replace the seals with decent ones and maybe have it 'cleaned up'. They can compress the valves and at least clean em up and clean the seats for a decent price, save having the head fully refreshed(valve job, etc.).

Make sure they take a really close look at the rocker pads and CAM... My first machinist did a TERRIBLE job trying to put a grind on the cam... and I had to pull it within 1200 miles. After that, pretty much everything he did went south. So I built it myself, the second time, with the guidance and help of the machinist friend I made... and for 700$ I got a NEW TO ME short block, that's crank only needed a 10-10 and polish, new hasting rings and Sankai Bearings, bored over 20 to fit the pistons that were used in my last kit(they were still fine)....And I even went with all new valves and manganese bronze guides, dual row Eski Springs, new Viton Seals, everything cleaned up, AGAIN, ......and it's run nicely for 6K miles since, not leaking a drop, SILENT compared to many.... 700$..... Just a thought. SHOP AROUND, make friends with a machinist, tell him you'll help in any way, order parts you're comfortable will last(WORTH AN EXTRA 50$ IMHO for GOOD bearings and Rings. )

Best wishes, man.... From the compression, sounded like it might just need a re-ring and crank turn/new bearings.. But it REALLY is advisable to have the head, well, PROPERLY checked out(checking for acceptable play in the guides, etc.).

Watchin!

PS> Good thing about a rebuild(IF IT HAS a good warranty).... Anything goes wrong with it.... it's more so on them than you. (Minus some costs, I'm sure). But to me? Having a good machinist take my motor on with me, hands on, not working on an assembly line? Makes me MUCH more comfy.. But that's just me due to the HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF CHASING MY TAIL from the first KNOB that messed up my original motor! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get the best engine possible, and want to spend the least amount of time possible. because i have a job and i am still in school and have very limited time that is why i am leaning toward buying that re manned engine because it is just buy it pull the old one replace the clutch and put the new one in. like 1 or 2 weekends. i want this by winter so i can wheel in the snow.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Well there ya go..... You came to a conclusion(a logical and in no way flawed one)... Sounds good to me!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by I Heart my Yota
I want to get the best engine possible, and want to spend the least amount of time possible. because i have a job and i am still in school and have very limited time that is why i am leaning toward buying that re manned engine because it is just buy it pull the old one replace the clutch and put the new one in. like 1 or 2 weekends. i want this by winter so i can wheel in the snow.
if your looking for a good engine look at 22reperformance.com ..call them up or email them. they do a good job..complete drop in motor.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-223908/
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vang530
if your looking for a good engine look at 22reperformance.com ..call them up or email them. they do a good job..complete drop in motor.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-223908/
GREAT job, actually... And The Putney's are SO helpful! Quite impressed with their standards... BUT, the only reason I'd not mentioned them was, well... I thought he was trying to keep it down on costs... The putney's are 1800$ Minimum, with core? Can't remember off hand.. all on their site...... www.22reperformance.com .... For the basic motor without performance mods, etc. TOTALLY wish I'd done that the first time, before choosing the machinist/famous builder I did, Vellios... TOTALLY fuggered my motor up. For 1490$, btw!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM

I am looking for the cheapest and best engine, and my time is money so. but i do not really want to spend $1800+ on a truck worth less than that.i mean i am only working part time and i want this out on the dirt in less than 2 months... So it looks like i will be getting it delivered tomorrow afternoon!!!!! i cannot wait to work on it,
Question for all of you who have rebuilt engines before, if the top end was rebuilt, could i simply pull the engine drop the crank and rebuild the bottom end (with new timing guides / Chain)? or should i rebuild the whole thing because the top end rebuild was done like 20 - 25K ago. ?

Like i have said many times i am on a very limited budget, if i can rebuild the bottom end for $300 i would rather do that and get the experience than buy a new engine for $1200.

But this is my first rebuild so what do Ya'll think?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 PM

I am looking for the cheapest and best engine, and my time is money so. but i do not really want to spend $1800+ on a truck worth less than that.i mean i am only working part time and i want this out on the dirt in less than 2 months... So it looks like i will be getting it delivered tomorrow afternoon!!!!! i cannot wait to work on it,
Question for all of you who have rebuilt engines before, if the top end was rebuilt, could i simply pull the engine drop the crank and rebuild the bottom end (with new timing guides / Chain)? or should i rebuild the whole thing because the top end rebuild was done like 20 - 25K ago. ?

Like i have said many times i am on a very limited budget, if i can rebuild the bottom end for $300 i would rather do that and get the experience than buy a new engine for $1200.

But this is my first rebuild so what do Ya'll think?
I hear ya on the money.... many can sympathize.... Most of us can at some point or another.

Far as 'delivered'... what are you talking about getting delivered? The used engine you mentioned? Really need to understand in detail what all you have/what you will have to work with/are you swapping a newer head onto your motor?

Far as bottom ends being rebuilt.... Really depends on the condition of the crank/how much room you have, etc. If the crank looks pristine, ... bearings look 'OK', then you COULD drop the crank, pull out the pistons, give it a hone and re-ring(IF the holes look like they're not scored badly, etc.)...and call it a day. BUT, personally, I'd pull the long block, remove the head, have the block AS MINIMALLY decked as possible, take it down to a short-bare block and have it hot tanked, see what a machinist thinks on the crank and bottom end.... Have him check the head while he's at it.....Then you'll have a better idea. IF YOU CAN get away with just a hone, that would just need new rings(and check the rods, replace the wrist pins), ...then have the main and rod journals/caps checked out to see if they need a once over... AND, if the crank only needs a polish, slap in new bearings and rings and call it a day. YOU CAN tell much of this while it's in the rig... BUT, if it needs anything, you'd have to take it out anyway,....and then you'd have risked nicking the crank, etc., when you could have just spent another couple hours and pulled it, slapped it on a stand and tore it down without much risk and then making it much easier to just drop in a car and take down to a TRUSTWORTHY, reputable machinist for a look-see, ya know?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Delivered as in towed to my house. it is at the current owner's house and they are going to tow it to my house (no way i would drive it 10 miles in it's current condition)

I am planing on pulling the engine (gotta get me a cherry picker think my neighbor has one) then i can take the oil pan off and have me a look see then i will get back on here and post some pictures and see what all you pros think.
I mean here's my thing (again) i want the best engine for the lowest price.
How much do you figure it will cost to rebuild the whole engine? (just the parts i would do it my self)
Would you suggest i rebuild it or buy a new engine?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would you suggest i rebuild it or buy a new engine?

If you Have experience rebuilding, then go for it. If you aren't sure, I would let a reputable machine shop do it. Your near Engnbldr aren't you? Give them a call. They do great work on Toy engines. They're about as experienced as you can get...
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM

I have never done a rebuild, and the one shop i talked to (local shop) said $1700 min for a 22R-E rebuild.
Is that a rough average? (cost wise)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 PM

It depends on what they are doing to it and quality of parts used. I bought LCE Performance master kit for my 3RZ and it was $700 for parts alone. Machine shop was another $1000.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Why not tear it down, drop drop it at the machine shop(engnbldr would do fine, ..Tod's a GREAT dude).... in pieces(that'll save you money off the bat... JUST MARK everything and tear it down according to EVERY STEP of the instructions/bolt removal pattern, etc. ) ...... Even mark the caps as they came off, mark each piston and rod to it's perspective hole, remove the crank, pistons'n'rods, then put the lot in a car and drive it over to Tod at Engnbldr after giving him a call. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, at this point, to even give you a 'really basic rough idea' on costs, OP, ....because we can't know if the rod journals are REALLY spun out? And, is the crank toast or grindable or just needs a polish?..... Does it just need a hone and re-ring, crank turn and bearings to get you by? ...... Does it need head work?(and how much head work?) Or, can the head just be cleaned up, resealed, maybe a quick lapping/clean out the seats and call it a day? ... All those things are DRAMATICALLY different in price. Things like; The parts you'll want to/be willing to spend on using/how much or little work needs to be spent... And VERY MUCH SO the level of experience you have, ....all can play a part in making it a much more logical thing to let them take it as core for another ready to go heart, Mr. Heart, lol. TOTALLY up to you..... I'd just be more comfortable with someone like Tod or the Putney's laying hands on my motor after what I've been through...

Not dogging a 'reman'd bargain 22RE deal' if it's by a reputable place.... But; After what I've been through, I'm glad I learned to do it myself.. But not everyone has time, TOTALLY get that... SO, since you have time to pull it and tear it down.... Do just that and come back with pics, sound good? Like I said, put up a couple good pics of your bearings, crank, cylinder holes, etc., etc., etc... We could at least give you SOME idea. Too many variables at this point, ya know? Gotta see the goodies lol. (Even then, a MACHINIST needs to take a 'CLOSE/DETAILED' look to see what all is needed)

Best wishes, keep us updated, man
Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM

I GOT IT!!!!! it is so pretty!!! i think i am gonna do like a build up thread... and that's where i will post all the pics and stuff.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM

All right, give us some teaser shots.... We've been dying to see this truck. A build thread will be great, but you gotta give us at least one in this thread....
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM

X2 on what Rokblok said... PICS! Secondly.... post up the link here to the build thread, ok? I have so many sub's to keep up with.... i might not see it in the 'new posts' check in I do from time to time, ya know?

CONGRATZ, dang... sounds like a Showroom Beauty!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM

I will do that as soon as i get my bro's camera (mine is dead and my cell phone does not take very good pics...) hopefully like in the next 24 hours...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM

This is a cell phone pic of the rig, it had a better built truck box and a bed liner...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM

don't mind the fact that the previous owner brush painted the hood...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM

HEYYYY! NICE LIL PICK UP, MAN!

Is that a shell that pops up? Or just the doors on the side do? Curious... MORE PICS, HURRY UP! lol. JK, but really... the anticipation left me with a jones to see this thing with around 20 pics... inside and out, underneath... Stoked for ya, man... Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:09 PM

doors on the shell swing, i will add more pics soon, sorry i was in a hurry and only has a cell phone...