Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I messed up - removed head without being at TDC on compression stroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I messed up - removed head without being at TDC on compression stroke

I’m a newbie and am doing a top and bottom end rebuild on my 22re. Accidentally removed the head without being at TDC on compression stroke. The #1 piston is at the highest point, but the #1 rocker arms are tight to the Cam lobes with zero play.

My next step is separating the block from the trans and pulling it and putting on a stand. (Had only planned to rebuild the top end until I saw the clean piston edges meaning worn rings from what I’ve gathered(is this correct?)

My question is how should I go about getting the engine set to TDC on the compression stroke when I go to reinstall the head and do the timing chain replacement??

Feel free to inclue any other useful info for a first time engine rebuilding newbie. I’ve gathered a lot of information and feel confident about some things, just knew I was gonna have a hiccup or two along the way. This is the first hiccup. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:34 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Position of engine is totally irrelevant on disassembly.

Following correct assembly sequence found in the factory service manual will insure that the engine goes back together correctly.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:01 AM

Good deal, thank you. Surely I will wrap my head around that before reassembly time.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
MasterOfNone
Why don't you start a build thread for your truck, this way you can ask all kinds of questions without starting a new thread for each question. Don't worry, we're watching and can help you
Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
MasterOfNone
Why don't you start a build thread for your truck, this way you can ask all kinds of questions without starting a new thread for each question. Don't worry, we're watching and can help you
i will try that, not very good with using this forum yet.. but will try.
I did manage to get the last cap offf and am down to the bare block, ready for the machine shop.
Will try to start a build thread next.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Doesn't cause any issue upon disassembly. For reassembly, before the rocker assembly is off, rotate the camshaft so the dowel on the front is at the 12 oclock position. If your crank is rotated so the keyway is up, (piston 1 and 4 at the top) then you are good. The crank doesn't know whether it's at TDC compression on #1 or #4. And with the head removed, there is no difference. Valves and spark are all run off the cam so there is no such thing as 180 out. Well I suppose there is but you'd have to install the distributor wrong. Align the cam sprocket as close as you can visually before installing it on to the cam. Usually you can get it spot on, if not, only off by a tooth. Don't worry about the bright link on the chain, it's a guide to help you line things up but not really needed. If the crank is at zero degrees, and the cam sprocket dot is straight up, everything is exactly as it should be.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
Doesn't cause any issue upon disassembly. For reassembly, before the rocker assembly is off, rotate the camshaft so the dowel on the front is at the 12 oclock position. If your crank is rotated so the keyway is up, (piston 1 and 4 at the top) then you are good. The crank doesn't know whether it's at TDC compression on #1 or #4. And with the head removed, there is no difference. Valves and spark are all run off the cam so there is no such thing as 180 out. Well I suppose there is but you'd have to install the distributor wrong. Align the cam sprocket as close as you can visually before installing it on to the cam. Usually you can get it spot on, if not, only off by a tooth. Don't worry about the bright link on the chain, it's a guide to help you line things up but not really needed. If the crank is at zero degrees, and the cam sprocket dot is straight up, everything is exactly as it should be.
Awesome reply, thank you very much. Feel much more confident now.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone

Awesome reply, thank you very much. Feel much more confident now.
He made a minor error..

The cam Dowel goes in the twelve o'clock position (dowel is on a valley), the Dot will be just to your left (dot is marked on a tooth)

Edit: i failed at reading comprehension, or he just fixed it.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 03-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.