Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Howdy to you all! New to Yotatech website...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Howdy to you all! New to Yotatech website...

I have lurked for a bit and many of you may recognize me from posting on 4x4wire.com or pirate4x4.com.

I just have been looking into SOOOOOOOOO many options with my 1985 Runner. I got it about 18 months ago and due to having kids and monthly expenses I haven't had the chance to do much yet.

Here are some pics of her when I got it home. Believe it or not the paint on her is from the factory:

Then, some BUTTHEAD decided to turn left in front of me, Now the front end is Fiberglass:

I was considering running Chevy's in the back, Toy (or Ford F150) rears up front. I have purchased a set of Toyota Rears for the front and Chevy S10's for the back. I think they are 56" rather than the 63" for the FS. I spoke to someone who said the S10's can cause a lot of Axle wrap and that has kept me from throwing them on right away.

For being on a tight budget, I need to be selective about the $$$ as I have a 2 girls (3.5 & 5 yrs old) and right now the spare mighty dollar is evasive. Not to mention keeping the wife out of Target!!

I just wanted to drop a thread, say HI and check out all your ideas and rides. I dig the Tech section and have found good ideas there.

Thanks for having a great board and hope you don't mind my thoughts and questions in the future. I'll try not to be too annoying!

John
Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks nice... welcome
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by LUV24BY
Then, some BUTTHEAD decided to turn left in front of me, Now the front end is Fiberglass:
I would be so livid if some guy hit me with that nice of an original paint job. they were prob on their cell phone huh?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech and a empty wallet
Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Welcome nice rig!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
I would be so livid if some guy hit me with that nice of an original paint job. they were prob on their cell phone huh?
Honestly, it was some 20 year old kid driving his pastors VW bug. I totalled the bug, almost totalled the Runner and it was just him not paying attention.

Originally Posted by Elton
welcome to yotatech and a empty wallet
AMEN Brother! I just have to transition from the empty wallet from the kids to empty wallet from the Runner.

Originally Posted by swerks
Welcome nice rig!
Thanks so much! I wish it still looked that good. I have since primered it! (and it was a rattlecan job!)

John
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=LUV24BY;50401682]Here are some pics of her when I got it home. Believe it or not the paint on her is from the factory:

............ Wow you folks in AZ have all the great looking truck's too bad about the front end damage!!! I 2would leave it orgional and "rat hole," some money get the front painted and drive that unit like it is till you wear something out. they pull out your saved cash... and start working on her... just my .02 cents worth.... TJ
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=Texas Jim;50402159]
Originally Posted by LUV24BY
Here are some pics of her when I got it home. Believe it or not the paint on her is from the factory:

............ Wow you folks in AZ have all the great looking truck's too bad about the front end damage!!! I 2would leave it orgional and "rat hole," some money get the front painted and drive that unit like it is till you wear something out. they pull out your saved cash... and start working on her... just my .02 cents worth.... TJ

Yeah, I was really bummed when that accident happened. I hit him doing about 20-25 MPH. She was too pretty to even get muddy - however I felt the need to put fiberglass on rather than aftermarket fenders that wouldn't fit. I needed to do a signifigant amount to the headlamp area on the passenger side, the radiator support needed to be pulled out and the whole front section from the Spring up to the hood needed majjor TLC. If I had to do it over, I would have taken the $$$ and hit the junk yards. Realistically, the Glass wasn't much more than the used stuff.

John