Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please!

i have recently bought a 94 toyota 4x4 22re.. i know some about them but not alot.. i have a problem i have been battling since ive owned the truck and nobody seems to know the fix.. last week i noticed a misfire when i was going down the road and it has progressively gotten worse. when driving the truck it will all of a sudden start missing really bad like its running out of fuel.. the check engine light comes on and the miss clears up.. as soon as it goes off it starts back so the same stuff.. it started it last weekend.. ran great all week.. no problems at all... now its doing it again.. sombody please help lol..
Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 PM

also if you let the truck die when it misses.. it will not start back no matter what you do to it!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground of some sort.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:58 PM

when your cranking it over to try and start it, it smells like its flooding itsself out.. people have told me to check the cold start injector.. but its been unplugged.. and its still doing it
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Check all of your grounds...no fire=gassy smell. Ever check comp for codes?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM

its getting spark.. well was at the time when we checked it.. and ive tried to but nobody around here has a computer that will read anything.. it also has a new mass airflow sensor and new computer..
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM

i also unplugged the coolant temp sensor and it still does it.. im wondering if the converter could possibly be stopped up.. because when it does it.. you cant get your hand within 6 inches of it
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM

you can jump pins on the diagnostic port and the code will flash on dashboard...morse code style. Do a search for the right pins to jump. Paper clips will work on a pinch. I dont know which ones..havent had any issues
with check engine lights etc...
Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...es/index.shtml
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM

thanks on the input yall.. i just went out to the garage and checked it.. but its not acting up now and no engine light.. maybe i can catch it next time now that i know how to read the codes! if yall can think of anything else please let me know.. every little bit of help will be much appriceated!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like a electronic problem.

Like was said check all your grounds make some new ones.

When you say it stalls and will not start what do you mean??

It does not crank?? Or it cranks but does not start?

You removed and plugged the fuel line for the cold start injector?? A defective injector can get stuck in the open position.

Bad vacuum hoses can also cause issues like this.

Almost sounds like with the CEL on it goes into closed loop and runs what appears to be better.

Good luck!!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You didnt mention it so I will ask, when was the last good tune up on it? I wouldnt go by the POs word on it as I just recently fixed a truck that was supposed to have been done and the plugs were shot. I have no idea how it even ran. Make sure it has fresh plugs,cap,rotary bug, plug wires, fuel and air filter. It could possibly be something like that.

As far as cutting out, while it is idling, gently push and pull on your injector connections and see if it cuts out. Doubt this is your problem but is an easy check.

Here is a link to the grounds>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/

TE1 to E1
How to get Check Engine Codes. I just put this up for others.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM

i finally got a code out of it.. 22.. coolant temp sensor.. could that be causing my problems.. or something else?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could cause some problems, but I don't think it will cause your exact ones. Could be contributing to them, though. I would check all your ground points, clean them up and reconnect. If you don't know how long it's been, replace your inexpensive ignition components, plugs (gapped correctly), wires, and distributor cap and rotor. See if cleaning up the CTS helps, and make sure it's wires aren't buggered up.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 AM

For sure, a bad distributor wire will do this! I'd change plugs, wires, and the cap/rotor. You really can't know FOR SURE it's something else unless you do this.

You could, alternatively, check each plug for spark. Seems like you are getting an intermittent ignition failure, at least to me. It's an all-of-the-above, for possibilities, so you need to rule out these easy possible causes.