See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Help , Crazy starting issue on 1999 4runner v6

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help , Crazy starting issue on 1999 4runner v6

Hey guys i have a problem that i need to fix asap . I am usually pretty good at isolating and fixing problems but this has got me stumped .

I have a starting issue on my 1999 toyota 4runner , v6 , auto , 4wd . It started doing this 3 days ago , The first time i got in it after work , I turned the key and nothing , I turned the key off and then back on it started fine the second time. Day 2 , I got in the 4runner to go to work same thing , First attempt nothing but a light click , 2nd attempt the starter turned the engine over maybe 3times and then the starter just stopped , 3rd attempt it started. Day 2 leaving work again , First attempt click , 2nd attempt it started. After the short drive home i turned the engine off and decided to try it again , 1st attempt Click , 2nd attempt it started fine. I got up this morning and started it 4 times without any problems , I am thinking soleniod but the turning over 3 times and stopping has got me stumped =( I am hoping its just a soleniod because removing the starters on these things is a pain from what i hear =)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like the contacts within the starter. This is quite common.

4crawler.com sells the contacts. Less than $10 in parts and you will be good as new.

Yes I think it is generally agreed the starter is a pain to remove but good news is you'll only have to do this every 10 years or so.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can perform a simple voltage test and compare the results when it starts normally to when it doesn't and see what that tells you:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think someone posts a new thread on this topic just about everyday. BTW, you still have to remove the starter to rebuild it.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM

thanks guys , I am working on removing the starter now , I have it jacked up and the tire removed , dipstick and brake lines are moved out of the way , I am just working on removing the bolts. If this is a common thread they should make a sticky out of it, I searched for Starter , Start , and only found one thread about removing the starter but none mentioned trouble shooting so i thought i would post =)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

A Google search for "Toyota Starter Click Troubleshooting" will yield lots of information.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM

I did google trouble shooting for my starter but all the articles , mention click click etc but none mentioned a starter spinning the engine over 3 times then stopping so i figured who would know my 4 runner better than anyone else and i thought Yotatech =) When i got here i found a few starter threads but none mention the weird starter running then stops , I thought i would post to see if anyone thinks a soleniod would cause it. I know have the starter out and i am going to rebuild it =) I did find a useful trick on removing the starter here , Instead of disconecting the brake line you can unbolt the bracket and gently move it to the right and then the starter will slide right out. =) thanks guys for the help =)
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jboy74
I did google trouble shooting for my starter but all the articles , mention click click etc but none mentioned a starter spinning the engine over 3 times then stopping so i figured who would know my 4 runner better than anyone else and i thought Yotatech =) When i got here i found a few starter threads but none mention the weird starter running then stops , I thought i would post to see if anyone thinks a soleniod would cause it. I know have the starter out and i am going to rebuild it =) I did find a useful trick on removing the starter here , Instead of disconecting the brake line you can unbolt the bracket and gently move it to the right and then the starter will slide right out. =) thanks guys for the help =)
All are common symptoms of the solenoid or wiring to it having a problem. At first it is very intermittent, but as the problem progresses (contacts wear more, etc.) it'll get worse to the point it'll only click. So everyone will report slightly different symptoms up front so you are unlikely to find someone with exactly the same symptoms you are having. Mine would act up a few times then be fine for a month or more before acting up again. Then over time the time between acting up got shorter and shorter.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Intermittent Starting Problem

Hello All

I have a 1993 4Runner 3.0vz that has an intermittent starting problem. I rebuilt the starter thinking that was the problem. Started a few times after replacing the re-built starter. Then one day wife takes 4Runner to work and it won't start. Just hear a click. So get it home and test the starter relay, which tested fine. Then I pulled apart the engine compartment fuse block looking for loose wires. Everything appeared normal.

Next, I checked the engine grounds. Everything looks fine. However, it is becoming apparent to me that the reason the last owner sold truck was because of this same problem. There has been work done to battery ground cable and the starter relay looks new. I am so frustrated! The only thing I have not checked is the neutral safety switch (NSS). Where is the NSS located? I did clean the battery terminals and connections, so I doubt that is the problem. Also, noticed that when it does not start when the key is engaged, seem to hear a click from passenger side underneath dash area.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cameron
Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cowboy Cam sounds like starter contacts to me-I am no mechanic....

you have 'hijacked' this thread with a completely different era of vehicle and I encourage you to post up your own thread either here or in 2nd gen 4Runner section to get more responses.

Don't over rule the neutral safety switch. Particularly if you are a manny tranny. Just slightly out of adjustment can ruin your day or the wife's.

Search neutral safety switch 4Runner even on Google and I bet you will get some more ideas of what to check.

But from the description of the intermittent nature of the trouble I still lean towards the starter contacts. 4crawler above can get you what you need and check out his site.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CowboyCam
Hello All

I have a 1993 4Runner 3.0vz that has an intermittent starting problem. I rebuilt the starter thinking that was the problem. Started a few times after replacing the re-built starter. Then one day wife takes 4Runner to work and it won't start. Just hear a click. So get it home and test the starter relay, which tested fine. Then I pulled apart the engine compartment fuse block looking for loose wires. Everything appeared normal.

Next, I checked the engine grounds. Everything looks fine. However, it is becoming apparent to me that the reason the last owner sold truck was because of this same problem. There has been work done to battery ground cable and the starter relay looks new. I am so frustrated! The only thing I have not checked is the neutral safety switch (NSS). Where is the NSS located? I did clean the battery terminals and connections, so I doubt that is the problem. Also, noticed that when it does not start when the key is engaged, seem to hear a click from passenger side underneath dash area.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cameron
Do the simple voltage test below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

And this would confirm if your problem is indeed upstream from the starter. If so, work your way back up that circuit testing voltages along the way. I think the NSS is perhaps on the A/T shift linkage, a Factory Service Manual would tell you the location and testing/adjustment procedure.

The clicking you hear is always there, it is typically a relay in the passenger side that turns on when you turn the key to start. Normally it's sound is masked by the starter turning over.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply

First, sorry I hijacked this thread. Not paying attention as usual.

Secondly, once again thanks for the help. I will get to the trouble shooting.

Once, I get the issue figured out, I'll post my findings on the appropriate thread.
Thanks!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A+b

The 99 4Runner was refurbbed. There is an exhaust bracket in the way of one of the bolts that goes through the bell housing. The way that the 99 3rd gen Runner starter is secured is easier than the 3rd gen pickup. 4Crawler has saved another Toyota for my family to drive.
Name:  DSC03244_zpsc8963ef1.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  DSC03242_zpsd134fcc8.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  DSC03241_zps2137cfe6.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  DSC03249_zps8b153cd8.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  69.1 KB